Old 05-17-2019, 05:15 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 579 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I think that Stokely in his old VHS instructional series, talks about a scoobie roller. Just a thumb or finger roller from the armpit, to get out of trouble.
I'm struggling to picture this.

On occasion I'll throw an inverted FH roller (thumb on rim, index and middle on flight plate) but they turn over way quicker than an ordinary FH roller would. Sometimes super handy for approaches where a FH cut roller will either start turning too soon, may circle back towards me too much, or both.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 37
Niced 197 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
A grenade is called a Scooby around here... Anybody know that history?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Straight up and down backhand spike hyzer shot with the disc flipped over (thumb on rim) is called a Scooby around you? That's weird.

To me/the area around me a Scooby/Scoober is an ultimate term referring to a hammer/thumber released flat or near flat across your shoulder line (roughly) as opposed to overhand like a tennis swing or baseball throw. Not meant to go far, but rather to be a touch shot/quick pass. I very occasionally use them as a layup shot, just throw it into the ground before the pin and let the disc slide on it's flight plate. Doesn't work well with grass of course.
AFIK They're called grenades up here a couple hours north of you. Funny how dialect can change in short distances.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 138 Times in 73 Posts

The 'Scoober' was literally dreamed up by a freestyler - his name escapes me at this point (or it may be just a good story he told others about his wild new delivery based on the animated tales of a talking dog with a penchant for a particular snack and solving 'mysteries'). Ask Stork.

The 'Scoober': backhand grip with an open stance (toward the target, like a forehand) and thrown like a baseball. One of the most devastating DDC burn/dumps known to man, less useful for golf, but Greg Hosfeld's video sums it up well. Very controllable because of the grip, but also 'power-restricted' for the same reason...

The 'Grenade': popularized by Sam Ferrans (the only teen-aged open men's world disc golf champ?). Backhand grip and delivery but with the flight plate of the disc up-side down from 'normal'.

Personal anecdote regarding the grenade: excellent choice for #2 at The Woodshed (a severely uphill hole) for your approach, provided you got past the tree-line on your tee. A grenade is the only consistent way to have a legit putt at a '3', imo (unless you can throw 400+ up a 10% grade through a chute). This delivery will not 'flatten-out' like a 'tomahawk' will, has excellent distance control and is great for dropping a disc onto a spot into a 'field of toothpicks'...

Last edited by curmudgeonDwindle; 05-17-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-2019, 07:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,351 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I'm struggling to picture this.

On occasion I'll throw an inverted FH roller (thumb on rim, index and middle on flight plate) but they turn over way quicker than an ordinary FH roller would. Sometimes super handy for approaches where a FH cut roller will either start turning too soon, may circle back towards me too much, or both.
Yeah I didn't think about it closely enough with all the weird angles. I was referring to a thumber grip in my response, thrown to the ground like a FH roller.

So think thumber vs. tomahawk but roller versions.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 138 Times in 73 Posts

Here's how I learned it for the hyper-technically oriented...

In disc, there are 2 basic delivery stances - open(forehand) and closed(backhand).
There are 4 basic grips, forehand, backhand, over-hand and hook-thumb (we'll ignore the various 'turbo-putt grips' for the sake of brevity).

Combine these 2 factors with the mobility of a human shoulder(and the inventiveness of throwers) and one arrives at a nearly limitless potential for 'throws' and the birth of a new area in jargon.

I find it fascinating, though, how much time and effort is spent on a tiny range of this potential (acres of stiff-jawed text concerning the minutia of 'the hit', the 'x-step' and the like) - including in my own discing behaviors. Disc, in general, has been gentrified by golf/ultimate(along with their associated mentalities). I'm certain the results are not 100% favorable...

Old 05-17-2019, 08:43 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 579 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Yeah I didn't think about it closely enough with all the weird angles. I was referring to a thumber grip in my response, thrown to the ground like a FH roller.

So think thumber vs. tomahawk but roller versions.
Gotcha. That's the "inverted FH roller" shot I mentioned in my last post. Do you notice it turning toward the flight plate faster than an ordinary FH roller like I mentioned? I've struggled to come up with reasoning behind the phenomenon, perhaps less spin being the culprit?