Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

Old 05-21-2019, 01:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,910 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
IIRC, in a recent USWDGC Paige Pierce missed a putt, which rolled OB and down a steep hill a long way. She chose to re-putt from the original spot with a penalty stroke, and who could blame her.

That situation is one where a re-throw from the original position is justified. Off the tee, if one has reasonable access to the disc and is able to throw it, then it's better to throw from there and be lying 2 than to re-tee and be lying 3 from the subsequent throw... especially for these pros that can make up bad throws much better than (most) casual players can...
2016 USWDGC. I remember it as it was the subject of discussion at tourney central after the round because Terry Miller was looking for one of us on staff to go out with him to shoot a little rules explanation to tack on to the video.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-21-2019, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 229 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRReGoN View Post
I didn't check it closely but the way Matt Bell was jumping for many of his putts, I would be surprised if all of them were legal.
From what I saw most were legal or too close to call, but a few of them looked like he was in the air still holding his disc.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 68 Times in 30 Posts

After seeing 2 rounds of unique shots through some well defined wooded fairways... it was sure nice to see 18 holes of throwing a distance driver into an open field.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,472 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post

I am not a fan of starting the tournament on hole 25 though. Done to make the course an easier physical challenge? Really? We have extensive conversations on this site about how pro play is outpacing the challenge of courses. How -18 is an outrageous number, how courses need to be longer, how golf course play has started to gain traction on tour to increase difficulty, how the use of roped OB is used to increase the challenge.

I find it ironic that many then clamor for better catching baskets and now provide a path to playing tough elevation holes early in a round, to give pros a better chance, when they are fresh.

I honestly found that part of the challenge and reputation of DeLa was the brutal finish. In fact, I might go as far to say it is one of the signature feature of this course.
Paige Pierce agrees with you. I asked her about the changes at some point in commentary, and she talked about how it used to be an advantage for her to finish with a tough hike. Others might get tired, but she didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
I was FINALLY going to make the trip to the Bay area in July to play Dela, something on my list for years. And 2 months before is when they finally decide to change the course :/

But I can see why. Just a bummer I couldn't play it before it got drastically changed.
The course isn't changed at all, just the tourney layout. This will have no effect on your round in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
..And how did Paige P manage to find 4 OBs in R1? . . This course does not have that much OB, not many OBs in the field besides the four for PP ( And two for Madison )
Unlucky with tree sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post

I think the sharp edge of the drivers make the difference, especially if they hit someone in the head where theres not much to soften the blow. Otherwise, I dont see any difference really regarding shape. Its a 175g piece of plastic at velocity x.

Anyway, while were on the subject, I still posit that it is impossible to get directly killed by a disc. Sure, a weak old person gets a driver in the nose from top of the world, the trauma might lead to complications in the worst case, but otherwise healthy person, nope, dont see it happening.

The tomahawk/thumber rule is crazy. How about grenades or otherwise crazy steep spike hyzers?
Kristine King came close a couple years ago at Masters Cup. She was in the parking lot when an errant drive from top of the world hit her in the head, and knocked her out.

As for the weather in round 2. It rained the entire time for FPO, but really didn't start raining hard until 2 holes left to go, which is when MPO was just kicking off.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 85
Niced 113 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspot View Post
After seeing 2 rounds of unique shots through some well defined wooded fairways... it was sure nice to see 18 holes of throwing a distance driver into an open field.
I agree. I was getting so tired of watching interesting golf, it was nice to just be bored.

Great to see Garrett win a big one though!!!

Old 05-24-2019, 06:50 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45
Courses Played: 328
Niced 1,418 Times in 707 Posts

I hope it's not too early for spoilers. Don't click unless you want to see the effects of every score on every hole for the top ten in ratings or finishing place.

Can you spot the island hole with re-throw?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCMS2019Tracks.jpg (130.0 KB, 80 views)

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,482 Times in 1,848 Posts

Hole 54 where are you?