Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 11-27-2017, 06:45 PM
sisyphus's Avatar
sisyphus sisyphus is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Porkopolis
Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 312
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,450
Niced 250 Times in 125 Posts
Default

You're absolutely right: The Valkyrie Kid wrote 154 Reviews (!) on new courses between July 3rd & October 16, 2017. I woudn't be surprised if he easily played 300 different courses this year. Martin Dewgarita played 1000 new courses in a three year span. Pretty sure 54 is just a number that jumped through Guiness' hoops. Heck, folks in a lot of metropolitan areas have 30 to 50 courses 'in town', and if they get bored playing the same places, 50 or 60 unique courses might be a typical year. So, as Reds announcer always says when a guy gets three putouts in an inning, "he ties a record held by thousands!"
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:28 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 124
Posts: 13,766
Niced 1,487 Times in 732 Posts
Default

Ben Calhoun would have this one. I met him on his dash to 1,000....as best I recall, he started that year at 300. He took the year off and traveled in a quest for 1,000. (He and Greg Hosfeld played together for each of their thousandths, at the time seen as the first 2 players to reach that threshold).

I don't know his exact 1-year total, but I'm pretty sure it would be the record, no matter what Guinness thinks.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2017, 08:16 PM
The Valkyrie Kid The Valkyrie Kid is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Puyallup, WA
Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 1261
Posts: 575
Niced 95 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
You're absolutely right: The Valkyrie Kid wrote 154 Reviews (!) on new courses between July 3rd & October 16, 2017. I woudn't be surprised if he easily played 300 different courses this year. Martin Dewgarita played 1000 new courses in a three year span. Pretty sure 54 is just a number that jumped through Guiness' hoops. Heck, folks in a lot of metropolitan areas have 30 to 50 courses 'in town', and if they get bored playing the same places, 50 or 60 unique courses might be a typical year. So, as Reds announcer always says when a guy gets three putouts in an inning, "he ties a record held by thousands!"
I think that 154 was probably close to my years total, not many more. Im pretty sure that others have played more in one year. I guided Ben around two local courses when he was on his one year quest to get to 1000. Did he play 700 that year? Funny thing is, he didnt even bother to record all those courses he played. Man, when I play a course, I want to record it immediately. Its like I might somehow forget I played it.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-27-2017, 08:43 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 269
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,122
Niced 1,291 Times in 687 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkyrie Kid View Post
I think that 154 was probably close to my years total, not many more. Im pretty sure that others have played more in one year. I guided Ben around two local courses when he was on his one year quest to get to 1000. Did he play 700 that year? Funny thing is, he didnt even bother to record all those courses he played. Man, when I play a course, I want to record it immediately. Its like I might somehow forget I played it.
I know Ben (Innovadude) didn't record them all on DGCR, but I thought he had his own list of all the courses he played on that quest.

54 courses in a year ain't squat for a Course Bagger on a mission. I'm nowhere near DGCR's Course Bagging Elite, and I've done close to 40 "new to me" courses a couple of times, and that doesn't include replaying any course I've already hit. I'm pretty close to 54 courses played just this year.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-27-2017, 08:49 PM
NDABRUSH NDABRUSH is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In a charriot of fire
Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 58
Posts: 1,572
Niced 103 Times in 60 Posts
Default

MartainDewgartia is the real record holder. He got to 100 in a month. I bet he played at least 500 his first year, maybe more.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by NDABRUSH; 11-27-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:13 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 124
Posts: 13,766
Niced 1,487 Times in 732 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
MartainDewgartia is the real record holder. He got to 100 in a month. I bet he played at least 500 his first year, maybe more.
He'd take 3 months at a time, just traveling and camping and playing disc golf.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-27-2017, 11:40 PM
NDABRUSH NDABRUSH is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In a charriot of fire
Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 58
Posts: 1,572
Niced 103 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
He'd take 3 months at a time, just traveling and camping and playing disc golf.
I know, poor guy. Sounds like a good idea. He gets a diamond rating for addiction. What a maniac.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-28-2017, 12:08 AM
scarpfish's Avatar
scarpfish scarpfish is offline
Resident Grouch
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brownbackistan
Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 350
Posts: 7,985
Niced 373 Times in 147 Posts
Default

Guinness won't recognize it, but I'd suspect that several of us have that guy beat already, and several more could destroy that mark if they made a concious effort.

Alas, I am no longer one of those people. ;(
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-28-2017, 12:54 AM
BionicRib's Avatar
BionicRib BionicRib is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 194
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,342
Niced 76 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Another vote for Ben Calhoun. I swore it was around 700 or 800.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 11-28-2017, 07:43 AM
Aim For The Chains's Avatar
Aim For The Chains Aim For The Chains is offline
FROLF OFF!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MINNESOTA
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 16,931
Niced 950 Times in 651 Posts
Default

I think ive hit up at least 50 different courses every year since playing lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.