Old 08-15-2018, 04:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,738 Times in 838 Posts

Don't take my word---I'm not sure what the schedule is---just check before you plan to go there.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 44 Times in 23 Posts

Ok, I visit and play in Boone several times a year. There are no PUBLIC courses in the imediate Boone area.

Yes, there are courses that can be played, with permission of the owners.

Heritage Farm is the new private course in town. It is adjacent to the blue ridge parkway. Beautiful. Very challenging. And, I THINK they have an AirBnB on site. I will ask them about the dates you have in mind.

OP, please as me as a facebook friend, so I can add you to the hidden group for heritage. I'm the one and only Mark Manchette last time I looked. I'll be happy to chat with you about possible courses, public and private. That area is GORGEOUS in October. I'll do what I can to help.

Mark

Niced: (1)
Old 08-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 126
Niced 45 Times in 15 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but the mountains in the fall are fantastic and the courses up there are epic. Here are the ones to look at:

Ashe County (public) - haven't played it yet, but it's the #1 rated course in NC and at the top of my wish list
Ft. Hamby (public) - haven't played it yet
Rolling Pines (public) - I've played it and it's currently my only 5.0 course
Highland Hills (public) - this course has crazy elevation, but it's not as good as Rolling Pines
Blackjack (private) - that's the one in Valle Crucis with the cabin mentioned above (it's supposed to be an epic course)
Heritage Farm (private) - this is a new course in Boone (all of these others are a good 30-45 minutes from Boone); I don't know how to contact this owner, but I believe you can find it on the Highlands DG Club Facebook page
Old 08-17-2018, 04:32 PM
Bogey Member

Heritage Farm owner does indeed have a place on site for guests. Not sure of how many may stay, how many beds, or what the costs are. Expect reply soon. Will let you know.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 131
Niced 109 Times in 59 Posts

Go eat at Coyote Cafe in Boone too - great food, DG-playing staff. It's right next to the Wal-Mart if you need supplies.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Bogey Member

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about Coyote Kitchen. I eat there every single time I play the Sugar Grove/Valle Crucis course.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I did this trip in 2013. Four days in Charlotte and one in the Boone area. I personally enjoy mountain courses and elevation and left the week wishing I could've flipped the time. There are a lot of really solid courses in Charlotte, but they're pretty flat in general. It doesn't look like there are many courses in the Boone area, but Ashe County and Sugaree was pretty much my favorite day of seven just because the courses are exactly what I love. I'm not sure I'd like to play them four days in a row though.
I'm with you, I live in Charlotte, I'm surrounded by courses, but I keep longing for the mountain courses. I belong there.

And I would also find it impossible to play more than 3 days out of every 10. The mountains are just physically exhausting to play in. I need a full week to recover after a weekend up there.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 116
Niced 98 Times in 42 Posts

I would say Charlotte if disc golf is the focus of the trip. The Boone privates are not that easy to secure an invitation to play;and most of the Charlotte courses are public.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
I would say Charlotte if disc golf is the focus of the trip. The Boone privates are not that easy to secure an invitation to play;and most of the Charlotte courses are public.
WNC is not the same without Sugaree. I think of her all the time. Hope you are doing well, Rich.

Old Today, 09:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 116
Niced 98 Times in 42 Posts

We are super busy getting the Christmas tree farm ready for our first shot at doing a choose and cut and emptying out my mother's house at Sugar Mountain. The farm has never looked better. Amazing what you can do without having to maintain a disc golf course.
OTOH,Jeri has retired, so there is an outside chance that Sugaree could re-open this fall in some form or another for a few weeks.

Last edited by Mando; Today at 09:38 AM.