Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 81
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Disc golf of golf courses: the future of disc golf? & Sequoyah State Park in Oklahoma

I played the Sequoyah State Park course in Hulbert, Oklahoma yesterday and was totally blown away. Check out my review.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course...d=5795&mode=ci

Has anyone else played disc golf on a course that was built on top of a functioning golf course? I found the experience to be quite enjoyable and I'm thinking this could be huge for our sport if it catches on at more golf courses. The prestige of playing disc golf on a golf course is something we could all enjoy and could propel the sport to the next level. Disc golfers and our courses deserve the respect that golfers and golf courses get and this could be a great way to get there.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

There are a lot of those courses out there already, and as golf suffers in popularity with the current economy I think we'll probably see more. There are some inherent challenges to designing a good disc golf course on a golf course. If you follow the same flow, you end up with a lot of long open holes but if you use the property more creatively you end up with conflicts between the two sports.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
There are a lot of those courses out there already, and as golf suffers in popularity with the current economy I think we'll probably see more. There are some inherent challenges to designing a good disc golf course on a golf course. If you follow the same flow, you end up with a lot of long open holes but if you use the property more creatively you end up with conflicts between the two sports.
I totally see what you mean there. As I listed on the cons in my review the course is very long and wide open. I still think the overall experience is a positive one though and perhaps with minor tweaks we can figure out a way to perfect it.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.5
Courses Played: 193
Niced 510 Times in 253 Posts

We have a new course down here on a ball golf course (Bird Bay in Venice) and they have gotten it right. For one, it has 3 sets of tees, which is critical as other dg on bg courses that I have seen are way to long for the avg/rec type player. Its a little more open than the wooded courses down here. It was a nice change, stepping out of the jungle and playing on a well maintained and nicely mowed course. I even liked using a cart more than I thought I would. The course follows the bg course, and you could have dgers and bgers competing in the same groups.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
We have a new course down here on a ball golf course (Bird Bay in Venice) and they have gotten it right. For one, it has 3 sets of tees, which is critical as other dg on bg courses that I have seen are way to long for the avg/rec type player. Its a little more open than the wooded courses down here. It was a nice change, stepping out of the jungle and playing on a well maintained and nicely mowed course. I even liked using a cart more than I thought I would. The course follows the bg course, and you could have dgers and bgers competing in the same groups.
Yeah that sounds very much like the Sequoyah State Park. It's pretty fun to play and I think it's exciting for our sport to be growing in this way!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 101
Niced 40 Times in 30 Posts

While I agree that DG's image would benefit from better lanscaping and amenities; I'm not sure just overlaying with golf makes good DG. My local course is a 18 hole couse on an old 9 hole course. While it doesn't use most of the old golf tee it does use some of the old greens and it is still mowed and it ia a lovely walk. But after a few rounds it is BORING - wide open holes with virtually no obstacles. We are in the process of completely redoing the course to add some challenge; using the trees between the fairways. and pretty much avoiding all the old fairways.

Long open hole after long open hole doesn't interest me, I don't care how pretty it is.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

BTW - Yellow (gold) is supposed to be the toughest not the easiest.

And the par doesn't match the PDGA recommendations at all : a 930ft par 4 red tee. Par 5 ends at 850 for red. But maybe this will resolve the issue of getting par is too easy in DG.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

There is a course near me, Eagles Landing, that is built on an old, retired ball golf course. It is a lot of fun, but it actually took some creativity to make the 9 hole loop. Disc golf and ball golf have extremely different terrain demands. Hazards that come into play for one are generally obsolete for the other unless the baskets are placed nowhere near the real greens..

At a retired course though, it was really cool to see how fun baskets can be when incorporated into existing green complexes.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Sorry for the multiple posts but - I just looked at the pics: baskets made from old tires - really? Are the golf cups old soup cans? If I'm paying to play I want real baskets.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 730 Times in 256 Posts

Overlaying a disc golf course on top of a ball golf layout to me makes about as much sense as a multipurpose baseball/football stadium does. That looks like it would be fun for about three holes and then just tedious and redundant after that. If the notorious Oklahoma wind was blowing, I think I'd enjoy it even less.