Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 123 Times in 77 Posts

I have been a River fan for a long time, but the ones I've always trusted have become unreliably under-stable. I started throwing a Moonshine in preparation for an event this week, and have rediscovered the love. I might need to try an slightly heavier Opto, or maybe try the Frost that I have sitting around. I might have to rethink my love affair with GL plastic.....
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

My old GL is well seasoned and one of my favorite discs. I do have to be careful how much snap I put on it though but it shines at 80% or less and I can put it on many lines.

I also picked up a moonshine that compliments it well allowing more power with a stronger fade.

Love Rivers
Old 08-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,151 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowLegs View Post
I have been a River fan for a long time, but the ones I've always trusted have become unreliably under-stable. I started throwing a Moonshine in preparation for an event this week, and have rediscovered the love. I might need to try an slightly heavier Opto, or maybe try the Frost that I have sitting around. I might have to rethink my love affair with GL plastic.....
Agreed. All my GL Rivers became flippy understable with use. In fairness, same thing happened to my GL Furys. Moonshine seems to be holding serve a little better and for a longer time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atison View Post
My old GL is well seasoned and one of my favorite discs. I do have to be careful how much snap I put on it though but it shines at 80% or less and I can put it on many lines.

I also picked up a moonshine that compliments it well allowing more power with a stronger fade.

Love Rivers
Old 10-06-2017, 10:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

This is going to be my next fairway driver so should I go with the Gold Line or the Opto plastic for a heavily wooded home course? Also, any suggestions on the weight (wanting to stay between 164g and 174g)?

Thanks.

TripleB
Old 10-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
This is going to be my next fairway driver so should I go with the Gold Line or the Opto plastic for a heavily wooded home course? Also, any suggestions on the weight (wanting to stay between 164g and 174g)?

Thanks.

TripleB
Opto will last a bit longer. And weight is somewhat personal, but a 168-170g is a good weight range for me.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Opto will last a bit longer. And weight is somewhat personal, but a 168-170g is a good weight range for me.
Either one more 'gripy' than the other?

I like my Pure (Zero Med) which seems to be a bit softer and more gripy than my other discs (mostly DX). Ordering another Pure in the Opto plastic.

Thanks for the weight recommendation...I was looking in the 165g to 169g range.

TripleB
Old 10-07-2017, 12:45 AM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Either one more 'gripy' than the other?

I like my Pure (Zero Med) which seems to be a bit softer and more gripy than my other discs (mostly DX). Ordering another Pure in the Opto plastic.

Thanks for the weight recommendation...I was looking in the 165g to 169g range.

TripleB
Gold Line is like Star, but feels even better, IMHO. Opto is like Champ, but a bit gummier. Gold Line feels great, but seasons in pretty quickly (especially relative to Star). And since you said you're playing in the woods, I recommended Opto, which will last longer (but not forever like Champion plastic does).

Niced: (1)
Old 10-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 193 Times in 124 Posts

I would recommend you to go 170ish, the River gets quite US once beat in. However, if you keep throwing that Pure and hence keep your form clean, you'll be able to push the River out quite fast without it crashing.
Reminds me, I gotta take that beat in Gold 178g River i took out since it was too flippy, I bet it was my form and that it's actually money.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 83
Niced 320 Times in 217 Posts

A 168 Opto River would be great. Gold line is great too. It beats in a little bit faster but for you, I doubt you would even see the difference between the two. The gold line will have slightly more glide or more turn potential. Moonshine Rivers all also fantastic. Frost is the most stable of all the plastics. My 165g Frost River is my most stable River. It comes down to feel and which plastic you prefer in your hand. The only way to know that is to become familiar with both the Opto and Gold line plastics and then you will tend to gravitate towards one or the other. I didn't think you can go wrong with any River you get until your power level increases significantly. Then there are differences in Rivers and plastic types that DO matter. It may sound cliche, but the best way to figure it out is to get one of each and learn it for yourself. Once you really start to understand disc flight and power and spin and angles it will become easier to figure out what specific disc flight you are chasing and you'll have a better idea of what to get to achieve your desired result.

Having a dozen discs or so is not a bad thing. You would do very well to spend time in a field learning what your discs do. Repetition is KEY. What actually works best is to find a disc you like, such as the Pure and get 3 or 4 of them in the same weight and same plastic and throw them back and forth in a field. Over and over. The River is another disc you can do that with. Say you get a 168 River and you like it. It feels good in your hand. It's fun to throw. Get two more and throw them over and over in a field. Playing on the course is fun but throwing repetition in the field is where the improvement can be accelerated.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 193 Times in 124 Posts

So did anyone order or throw Owens new epic sounding Opto-x River? I assume it will be very close to the Frosts but in a stiff plastic? Sounds like a workhorse ready to glide of the shelf...