Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 670 Times in 365 Posts
Default Grabby plastic - myth or reality?

I'd like to see some scientific research into the "grabbyness" of different plastics as they hit the chains as I think its mainly a myth or placebo at best.

I dont think it would take much Mythbusters type research to launch a disc at a chain and see from high speed camera how much off line the discs get after the impact. Of course there is going to be some variation, so maybe get an average of several hits. And use like the grabbiest sticky super mega soft thing versus like teflon putters. If there is no significant difference then I think you can close the book on it.

IMO, you got to base your putter preference on the user end of things. Like, at one point I was worried about rollaways and felt like I was getting an unfair amount of them due to putting with stiff putters. But then I thought, well if the stiff putters work for me in every other way, and help my putting stroke and release and I am hitting more putts with them, its up to me to hit them more often or then just make the long comebackers, and not try and switch to a supersoft putter only due to the rollaways (which may still happen) and mess up my other routine in the process.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 207 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
I'd like to see some scientific research into the "grabbyness" of different plastics as they hit the chains as I think its mainly a myth or placebo at best.
Maybe try putting with a C-Line for awhile and see if you still have the same opinion.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 670 Times in 365 Posts

Yeah but thats not scientific.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Niced 821 Times in 561 Posts

Mcpro Aviars have that stuff applied to them that Clark Griswald applied to his snow sled thingie.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,148 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post

I dont think it would take much Mythbusters type research to launch a disc at a chain and see from high speed camera how much off line the discs get after the impact. Of course there is going to be some variation, so maybe get an average of several hits. And use like the grabbiest sticky super mega soft thing versus like teflon putters. If there is no significant difference then I think you can close the book on it.

IMO, you got to base your putter preference on the user end of things. Like, at one point I was worried about rollaways and felt like I was getting an unfair amount of them due to putting with stiff putters. But then I thought, well if the stiff putters work for me in every other way, and help my putting stroke and release and I am hitting more putts with them, its up to me to hit them more often or then just make the long comebackers, and not try and switch to a supersoft putter only due to the rollaways (which may still happen) and mess up my other routine in the process.
This would be very interesting, but for me not so much for the 'stickiness' of plastics, but to see if the firmer plastics rebound more or cut through the chains to the center pole better, etc. And those factors might interfere with being able to conclude if 'stickiness' is a real thing...
Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

I have a friend who is a physics teacher, and she ran through this with me a while back. Most compounds she said wouldn’t naturally “grab” the chains and even if something were applied to the disc, it would not make a huge difference because it’s usually going to fast for a thin layer of adhesive or something to make a difference.

She also said that most softer compounds absorb more of the shock, so that when they hit they are less likely to bounce away as far, so they might appear more sticky.

However a very soft disc would require a higher RPM to keep a true flight, and the uneven grip and inconsistent throwing motion of most players would throw it off axis more easily.

So that’s probably why many pro players like harder putters becuase it will preform more consistently, even if they hit the chains with less of the shock absorbent quality.

So unless some companies have figured out to make a firm compound that absorbs shock at the same rate as a soft one... just throw what fees right.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 207 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
So unless some companies have figured out to make a firm compound that absorbs shock at the same rate as a soft one... just throw what fees right.
Kastaplast K3.......nuff said

Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 49
Niced 471 Times in 316 Posts

Putt with a Gumbputt. Case closed.

Yes, it grabs chains better. Yes, it is floppy trash that is impossible to put any power into.

Bottom line, I use stiff putters and don't rely on a single link getting caught up in rubber. Aim small, folks.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 74 Times in 31 Posts

Not scientific, but I notice very real differences between hard/soft and slick/grippy putters. A hard/slick putter will have less play from the chains. This means that Brooklyn putts stick better, while pro side putts stick worse.

I think weight plays into this as well. For a bit I putter with a 150g soft Voodoo that would grab even a millimeter of chains on the pro side and land in the basket.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 35
Niced 170 Times in 64 Posts

I'd argue that the various types/weights of chains would need to be a significant consideration in this discussion.