Old 01-29-2019, 02:53 PM

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 14
Niced 15 Times in 7 Posts

It's not for everyone obviously. I don't play tournaments so the pdga rule doesn't mean much to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 415 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklar View Post
Tyler, the shrykes I have done with this technique have held their shape for 3 months now. The discs I have done so far haven't been less stable for me.

PLH hasn't changed as much as the pictures make it out to be. In the "before" pre-domey picture, the disc is hanging out over the towel exposing the bottom more. Also, the angle of the before and after pictures aren't exactly the same. Like you said, PLH might be affected by the bowl diameter, but I don't have any other size of bowl to test it out. With the bowl size I use, the rim shape doesn't get affected much if any. if you don't add hot water to the bottom of the flight plate, the disc rim will stay cooler and be more resistent to change.
I hear ya on the Shrykes. I've had 2 Stars and 3 Champs. The only flippy one is board flat, and was the first I bought. Flat Shrykes should just be re ground in Echo Shrykes that are domey. Those would bomb.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:59 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklar View Post
It's not for everyone obviously. I don't play tournaments so the pdga rule doesn't mean much to me.
That's cool. Would be nice if disc were the same from run to run so you wouldn't need to do this. The manufacturer I throw is fairly consistent so I don't have any worries about what the discs are going to do.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,633 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
That's cool. Would be nice if disc were the same from run to run so you wouldn't need to do this. The manufacturer I throw is fairly consistent so I don't have any worries about what the discs are going to do.
Not sure any one company is more consistent than others. The experience is pretty individual. MVP has been the most inconsistent company for me. I think they all struggle from time to time putting out reliable disc molds.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Not sure any one company is more consistent than others. The experience is pretty individual. MVP has been the most inconsistent company for me. I think they all struggle from time to time putting out reliable disc molds.
I've had very good luck with consistency of my MVP discs, for the most part. Only issue I have had is that plasma plastic is sometime flippier, sometimes more overstable depending on the mold.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:03 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 15 Times in 4 Posts

I just don't get the whole domey vs. flat-top thing. The most overstable Firebird I ever had was a Champion flat-top one and it was just stupid overstable. I lost it and wasn't even upset about it. The domey Champion Firebirds I have are less overstable and much more to my liking.

Also, I like the Boss in Star plastic. I've have domey ones which just bomb and are perfect for my long distance shots. I have another flat top Star Boss which is probably the most overstable disc I've ever thrown with the exception maybe of the flat-top FB.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstenger View Post
I just don't get the whole domey vs. flat-top thing. The most overstable Firebird I ever had was a Champion flat-top one and it was just stupid overstable. I lost it and wasn't even upset about it. The domey Champion Firebirds I have are less overstable and much more to my liking.

Also, I like the Boss in Star plastic. I've have domey ones which just bomb and are perfect for my long distance shots. I have another flat top Star Boss which is probably the most overstable disc I've ever thrown with the exception maybe of the flat-top FB.
I think you do get it. FAF Firebirds are typically the more stable ones and more sought after, domey Firebirds....just feels wrong typing it. No one throws a Firebird for its glide or to hyzer flip it. And on the opposite end pop top bosses bomb, have more workability for slower arm speeds and glide for days, as to where flatter ones become more stable and more brick like if you don't have the arm for them. Seems people are just trying to produce that pop top, less stable more glide from their home.

And as far as the rules go, "hey did you boil that disc bro?" "Nope" "Ok cool"

Old 01-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 215 Times in 142 Posts

Exactly. I get paint or stickers on a disc being illegal. But a little extra dome or a flatter disc? Those inconsistencies happen out in the wild anyways. Plus how would a TD or any other players know / be able to prove it?

Technically my jawbreaker banger-gt that is busted up and warbled has been “illegally modified by tree hits”.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,633 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
Exactly. I get paint or stickers on a disc being illegal. But a little extra dome or a flatter disc? Those inconsistencies happen out in the wild anyways. Plus how would a TD or any other players know / be able to prove it?

Technically my jawbreaker banger-gt that is busted up and warbled has been “illegally modified by tree hits”.
Oddly, I don't really get stickers or paint as a violation. There is little to no willful volition in those acts. You don't really know what kind of impact those things will have on the disc. I do understand the idea of intentionally modifying a disc to do a very particular thing. This is an intentional act to gain a competitive advantage......the VERY thing the rule is designed to prohibit. I believe the spirit of the game is for competitors to demonstrate skill in learning and apply athletic prowess on a set of approved discs.

As a student of the try to do the right thing school, I am confused by the it is only wrong if you get caught thought process.

I guess it is no more wrong than throwing your disc against a wall a bunch to change the flight characteristics. But, I don't really get this either. Maybe it is just me?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 323 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Oddly, I don't really get stickers or paint as a violation.s
Paint isn't a violation unless it has a "detectable thickness" or unless the flight characteristics are changed by the paint or it makes the disc easier to find.

Stickers that do not alter the original flight characteristics of a disc are not illegal, at least not pursuant to 813.01, unless it makes the disc easier to find.