Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 201 Times in 153 Posts

Haven't been able to play at all really: getting married this coming weekend, started a new job with a one hour commute, and trying to settle into a routine. I still want to learn how to throw far, so I'm going to figure out a way to make this work. So, for the winter I'm going to focus on drills and filming them and balance. Here's a video of me (very awkwardly) trying the Kick the Can drill. Just use your imagination that there's a can there. This was going off of memory of the video so I'm sure I screwed it up somehow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GTipaK3N1KiJcM2Z9
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,767 Times in 1,709 Posts

You have all those weights sitting there, use them. Grab one in each hand and do the windmill without ripping your arm/s apart, nice and smooth and fluid motion like you want to toss it like horseshoes but backhand underhand.

In general I think you are trying to shift too much diagonal in these drills. Should be shifting/kicking more straight down the line lateral/sideways in these drills. Your front foot is swinging through too backwards, should be more lateral but still leading heel first so the toes whip through ahead of the heel through the can/ball. Not sure kick the can is the best drill for you though. I would focus more on perpetual motion drills, back and forth.

I liked the two-step/ginga reciprocating dingle arms at the end:

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-13-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:20 PM
Eagle Member

I'm still alive. Been busy with a new job and a new wife and holiday travels and nasty weather outside. Finally got a chance to throw again recently and noticed I went back to my nasty habit of coming off my rear heel. But I realized now that I'm really just letting too my of my weight slosh towards the left side of the teepad and not getting that rear side countering. I need to be more "squatty" and upright and trust that. Going to start playing in a league again in January and hopefully get more involved in disc golf again. I need it in my life.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Eagle Member

I'm really having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to let my rear leg hang under my rear hip. Whenever I try to drive my rear knee in like that, everything wants to open and my weight feels too far to the left of the teepad. Even going in slow motion it's hard for me to do. Might mean I need to get down in more athletic position and get my butt out. Got a couple videos from today. Am I collapsing my brace? Without having a disc in my hand I can really get a good plant into the ground where everything feels solid but put a disc in my hand and I'm hesitant to really crush the can for some reason.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eEJYhDdz5qd3bQfR6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ioVrpPv73NH1FUmb7

Last edited by UhhNegative; 07-09-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:44 PM
Eagle Member

I'm not getting full extension at release either. Is that a symptom of over-turning shoulders?

Also, if I just get off the damn rear leg and onto the front leg with some force all this might fix itself.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,767 Times in 1,709 Posts

You get flat on your rear foot/heel and extend your rear knee instead of extending the foot - plantar flexion with flexed knee should shorten your stride/stance and make it much easier to land more upright on front leg.

If you raise the rear foot up/downhill lie, your rear knee will have to bend out of the way to not tip over pushing off the foot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ4pxndBpJ4#t=2m22s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs#t=3m18s

Rear heel up and knee bent - all plantar flexion into the plant:

Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

I should just put some sharp rocks in heel of my left shoe to force my heel off the ground haha.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
Yes, much better. Let that arm rotate under so you can slap yourself on the backside.
What does this mean? Rotate UNDER so you can slap yourself??? I've never heard of this, or even know what it means. Do you have any examples or explanations of what this is? And why it's important? Thanks
Old 07-10-2019, 03:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
I should just put some sharp rocks in heel of my left shoe to force my heel off the ground haha.
Being on tippie toes to avoid the heel isn't the same as being balanced over the foot with weight centered on toes...I had been on rear toes the wrong way by having the foot too far behind me/to my right so I was so far on the toes it would push me left to the plant. And any side to side sway during the X-step means very very bad things everywhere else in the throw.

You are jamming into your plant/right hip...you are too far to the back of the teepad so you're not actually upright on the leg as if you took a walking step. This is why your rear leg extends back behind you, rather than coming forward with you...you never completely leave this leg as if you just stepped forward to your right leg. I think you are also jamming into the hip a bit too much from it crossing to your left as you go down the teepad, so it gets into your way and you get pushed to the left after following through.

Try to set up in one leg drill, or commit to being farther targetward over the leg with even less momentum going into the throw. Like less X-step, just a slight shuffle. If you can commit to being farther forward with less momentum, it may be easier because you won't be as worried about "needing" to stop yourself from flying through/forward after the throw.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
I agree totally. Ever since I tried the forward pump hammer swing and focused on longer lever rather than arm angles etc. it's been so much simpler. Takes practice for sure but it's not that complicated anymore. Thanks to the school of SW.
Can you explain what you mean by this? The forward pump hammer swing? And focusing on longer lever than arm angles? I'm sure this info is in one of the hundreds of SW videos, but I have such a hard time understanding them and picking out info to help me Thanks