Old 07-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 23 Times in 16 Posts

Question about the dingle arm. Im a little confused how the arm especially the upper arm and shoulder area are suppose to be feeling. Completely loose arm is easiest way to generate speed from the hips but the upper body gets disconnected very easily. Another way is to resist the forward momentum with the arm, sort of stretching it out with stable shoulder. The upper arm and shoulder area feel pretty tight. The problem is that the first option is more lower body and the second one more upper body oriented throw. First one is more speed, less control and easier on the body and the second one is a little less speed with less motion, more control and a little harsh on the body.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,769 Times in 1,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-J View Post
Question about the dingle arm. Im a little confused how the arm especially the upper arm and shoulder area are suppose to be feeling. Completely loose arm is easiest way to generate speed from the hips but the upper body gets disconnected very easily. Another way is to resist the forward momentum with the arm, sort of stretching it out with stable shoulder. The upper arm and shoulder area feel pretty tight. The problem is that the first option is more lower body and the second one more upper body oriented throw. First one is more speed, less control and easier on the body and the second one is a little less speed with less motion, more control and a little harsh on the body.
Loose, but everything connected/pulled taut centrifugally like Olympic Hammer Throw one-arm. Your stance dictates your release point for the most part.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:24 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 322 Times in 220 Posts

Tried pendulum out today with fairly good success - short course though, mostly just throwing Comet and Roc. I believe I was correct on my assumption above that I'd previously not had success with it because I wasn't turning back at the hips enough - also need good balance on rear foot in backswing; i.e., not rushing it. a balanced hop helps.

Question on the positioning or direction of the pendulum during the backswing. Do you let it flow straight back to the opposite point of your throwing apex? Or do you let your body position and stride determine the aim to your apex and bring the pendulum more wide of your body to the left side of the teepad? Or both/and What is best for accuracy and power?

For example, when viewing you/thrower from behind, like at 3:30-400 in the titled twirl star burst.... Do I want to bring disc slightly toward left side of teepad at top of the backswing? Or not exactly necessary if I'm supinating and pronating like you show here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Follow Up
Old 07-14-2019, 01:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
1. Question on the positioning or direction of the pendulum during the backswing. Do you let it flow straight back to the opposite point of your throwing apex?
2. Or do you let your body position and stride determine the aim to your apex and bring the pendulum more wide of your body to the left side of the teepad?
3. Or both/and What is best for accuracy and power?

For example, when viewing you/thrower from behind, like at 3:30-400 in the titled twirl star burst....
4. Do I want to bring disc slightly toward left side of teepad at top of the backswing?
5. Or not exactly necessary if I'm supinating and pronating like you show here?
1. Yes, flows straight back from apex.
2. Yes, this is how it flows straight back with body out of the way of backswing while moving into shot.
3. Both.

4. For "straight" or right to left hyzer.
5. With a true pendulum backswing/Feldy style its just supinated/external rotation to the top of the backswing so disc plane. Everything gets flattened out/less rotation when you don't bend the elbow or the less you bend the elbow. This why Feldy so consistent/player of the decade, less moving parts.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
1. Yes, flows straight back from apex.
2. Yes, this is how it flows straight back with body out of the way of backswing while moving into shot.
3. Both.

4. For "straight" or right to left hyzer.
5. With a true pendulum backswing/Feldy style its just supinated/external rotation to the top of the backswing so disc plane. Everything gets flattened out/less rotation when you don't bend the elbow or the less you bend the elbow. This why Feldy so consistent/player of the decade, less moving parts.
Nice job making sense of and numbering my question(s!).

Helpful clarification on q5, thank you. So if I want to follow this KISS principle, this would be the way to go. So I suppose I'm also only doing an "out to in to out" thing to the degree that the elbow bends during lag transition of weight shift as well. But it's not something to worry about other than to ensure top of backswing is directly opposite of apex, which ought to be slightly left of body (from behind view) as I turn hips and get body out of way to create space... if that makes sense.

Thank you, sir.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:45 PM
Eagle Member

Man, I'm a convert. Played again tonight with mostly great success. I finally understand what the windmill drill is about now. This is the pendulum effect. My legs are more naturally involved. I feel dumb that that didn't click until working through this thread and from reading form thread discussion with this video:

I had been practicing windmill prethrow then accidentally did this in real backswing during throw...decided to run with it... flew well. Someday the windmill will be everyone's real backswing.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 300 Times in 182 Posts

It took me a while to wrap my head around the pendulum concept. I finally got it when I starting thinking of "feeling the weight of the disc" correctly. In the past, I had thought you felt the weight of the disc as it started forward, kind of like a g force on a roller coaster. Then I realized that you need to feel the weight of the disc as soon as you pick it up in your hand! I could then feel it as I went through the swing and felt it as an object under the influence of forces. It was then natural for me to swing it like a pendulum and feel the rhythm. Now I understand the ball on a string concept as well.

I like what Mike Austen says at 2:45 in this discussion "Instead of dragging it through, you're swinging it through."

Old 08-04-2019, 01:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Yep, feel the weight in the hand as soon as you pick it up.

Another timely vid:

Niced: (1)
Old 08-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Eagle Member

It's just awesome how when I finally understand the next basic concept there is so much more revealed in your videos, HUBs, SP's, SC's, and others. Once you realize that there are no cheat codes to jump ahead to the next level but just patience; rewatching/rereading; and lots of thoughtful practice until it finally clicks and then things get a lot easier.

Quote:
Yep, feel the weight in the hand as soon as you pick it up.

Another timely vid:

Niced: (2)

Old 08-05-2019, 08:28 AM
Eagle Member

I came across these two graphic descriptions of a rotating plane for the swing which I assume is the another way to visualize the tilted twirl star burst.

This is Mike Dunaway https://youtu.be/a6QxyU27gGo?t=190.

And Rory McIlroy's Rotating swing plane.