Old 08-07-2019, 06:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
This remains a solution in search of a problem. We amateur geezers can play with our age peers. We can play with our skill level. That should be enough choice.

As for the world championships, the thought of any ratings-based championship seems silly to me. I understand being the best of an age group, a gender, or even the best amateur. The best rated under 900? Might as well have a Novice World Championship, while you're at it.
This x1000
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 820 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
but I don't want to rig the system to give me chance.
Rig...really? smh.. I would suggest taking a sample of the age protected players with lower ratings (that play in alot of tournaments per year) and see how they feel. As I said before, after playing in 100+ tournaments this was a recurring theme. "Why don't the better players have their own division?" The guys that win will still always win, that won't change. But it will provide a better experience for the lower rated guys who will now possibly enjoy the experience of being on lead / chase cards, once in a while. I just don't see how anyone can say this would not provide a better experience for those players. Oh well, I do appreciate the dialog.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 820 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
I understand being the best of an age group..
If you think 2 guys both 50 years old, one rated 800, the other rated 940 competing in the same division is fair all around (for amateurs) , well we agree to disagree.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-07-2019, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,303 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
If you think 2 guys both 50 years old, one rated 800, the other rated 940 competing in the same division is fair all around (for amateurs) , well we agree to disagree.
We do.

The guy rated 800 aspires to be the world champion, the best in the world, of......what?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 132
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Might as well have a Novice World Championship, while you're at it.
Sign me up ... *checks PDGA site and sees current rating is above 850 for the first time ever* ... dangit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I feel your pain, trust me, nobody wants to play on a card in MA3.
I guess I'm a nobody *insert joke here*

Seriously, this came up in the "old farts" thread, but I wouldn't be opposed to having an opportunity to play in something like Rec Masters. I understand the drawbacks, and I'm not going to send angry letters to the PDGA asking for it. I'm Masters eligible with a noodle arm (and as shown above, a rating near the Novice/Rec cutline) and mainly play in tournaments for fun and social interaction. I almost always play Rec rather than MA40, but not because I don't want to play with my fellow middle agers, or even care so much about trying to "cash". Around here, most tournaments are played on courses with multiple tees, and most use the long tees for MA40 (and MA50) for half or all of the rounds. The distances from the long tees are such that even if I have a pretty good tee shot (for me), I'd rarely have a reasonable birdie chance. I'd still have lots of 60-120' NAGS (Not A Golf Shot, for those unfamiliar with Houck's lingo) left. I'm not expecting that I should be able to birdie every hole, but if my opportunities are rare even with a good shot, it's just not as much fun. From the short tees, I at least have that chance on many more holes.

Sometimes I'm still tempted to play MA40 just to mix it up and play with different people. The TD of the popular local tourney series also knows that I'm always up for playing on a mixed card in round 1 when the numbers require it. Put me with juniors, ladies, MA60, whoever. Great! I get to meet more people playing a game that we all enjoy. I obviously don't mind playing in MA3. Sure, I can see why some people may not enjoy playing with players that might not know all the rules or disc golf etiquette perfectly, or take it all that seriously, although there are certainly people in MA1 that still don't know or care about all of the rules. However, I also enjoy seeing people play in their first ever tournament, who may be newer to the game, and were a little anxious about signing up. They're probably worried about the reactions from people like some who have responded in this thread. Yeah, there are jerks everywhere, in every division, and they can be dealt with appropriately ... they're not just restricted to MA3. It's a game, folks. Let's have some fun.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:04 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,543 Times in 698 Posts

Run a ratings event limited to players over age 39 where ams/pros, men/women all play in their ratings color bracket or higher. Would need to be X-tier status where pros who cashed in any color divisions would actually receive cash prizes and ams get merch credit. Pro entrants wouldn't get player packs if provided to Ams except for free items. Entry fee the same for everyone. If any cash added, it's spread evenly among all divisions based on proportion of division size.

This format supports the social preference among older players to not compete with younger players and the social preference of women of any age to not play in groups with young men/boys. It's my experience that women over age 39 do not outright reject playing with men over 39 if that's what they need to do for fair competition. In fact, many seem to enjoy the challenge. Note that this format finesses the transgender issue for players over age 39 because your gender does not matter.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Can you put an age limit on players, outside of offering only age-protected divisions?

Will the PDGA sanction that?
Old 08-07-2019, 07:16 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,543 Times in 698 Posts

Quote:
Can you put an age limit on players, outside of offering only age-protected divisions?

Will the PDGA sanction that?
X-tier permission.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
We do.

The guy rated 800 aspires to be the world champion, the best in the world, of......what?
Around here, the 40+ pro guys are usually 890-915. The 50+ guys are veterans and are 940-970. The 50+ guys usually move down to the 40+ division, even if both divisions have a full field.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
X-tier permission.
Well, you can do all sorts of things with X-tier permission.

If you can get it.