Old 08-28-2019, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,540 Times in 1,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I think the score keeping can be done without constant internet connection, as long as one can connect eventually for the transfer.
If there's a dedicated app (like udisc has), then yes, that's likely the case. If it continues to be the browser-based scorekeeping that the PDGA has now, then internet connectivity is essential to store the scores as there's no native storage that I'm aware of. However, once you're logged in to the scoring site, the actual amount of data needed to send each hole's scores is minimal. You really don't need that strong of a signal to post the scores. I had 1X signal in the woods this past weekend and scores still posted at that tee without delay.

But even if signal is too sparse in one spot, that's where the paper backup would allow for scores to continue to be recorded and then they could be updated digitally once the group moves into an area with better signal.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 207 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
At NTs and majors, they play tee time rounds which render the scoreport needless. Going electronic there makes all kinds of sense. But I don't believe that the average B or C tier with shotgun starts need to be moving away from the scoreport anytime soon. Sure, it might be possible to do everything electronically, but IMO it takes more than 4-5 clicks to display groupings and hole assignments on the tournament manager. At least it does if you don't like the way it assigns things, which I never do.

Good TDs know their courses and know where they need to be starting certain groups/divisions in order to get the best flow (not to mention accommodating certain divisions in terms of walks to starting holes) and the online group generator uses a default order that will rarely match the need. I think it's still much faster and more efficient to re-sort groups for new rounds on a scoreport.
90% of Am worlds was a shot-gun start. On two round day players where scrambling with their phones to see the starting hole for the second rounds. There where a few hiccups but for the most part it beat 72 players sitting around a scoreport.

The bigger issue than starting hole was postponed starting times, which typically spread via word of mouth, non-electronically.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:27 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 207 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
If there's a dedicated app (like udisc has), then yes, that's likely the case. If it continues to be the browser-based scorekeeping that the PDGA has now, then internet connectivity is essential to store the scores as there's no native storage that I'm aware of. However, once you're logged in to the scoring site, the actual amount of data needed to send each hole's scores is minimal. You really don't need that strong of a signal to post the scores. I had 1X signal in the woods this past weekend and scores still posted at that tee without delay.
Yes this can be a huge electronic issue. The biggest issue is the initial log-in.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 320 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:

But even if signal is too sparse in one spot, that's where the paper backup would allow for scores to continue to be recorded and then they could be updated digitally once the group moves into an area with better signal.
The website downloads all the data for the course at the beginning, and only uses data to push scores from the phone to the website. In the case of no signal, the browser will retain the data and try to push it again at a later time. As long as you don't do anything silly like close your browser window, it should hold on to that data for as long as is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
90% of Am worlds was a shot-gun start. On two round day players where scrambling with their phones to see the starting hole for the second rounds. There where a few hiccups but for the most part it beat 72 players sitting around a scoreport.

The bigger issue than starting hole was postponed starting times, which typically spread via word of mouth, non-electronically.
As of 2018, Am Worlds operated with scoreport boards. The TD at course A would record the scores, manually do all the addition, reshuffle the board, and then drive the board to course B. At course B, that TD would double-check the shuffle and then write out scorecards for all the players. Hopefully the TD from A would get there with plenty of time to spare so TD-B could write scorecards and players could see their starting holes with time to warm up. Additionally, each course would require an Asst TD to receive their incoming board while their outgoing board was being driven away.
It worked, but it had a lot of moving parts and a lot of potential for error.

In 2019, the PDGA went entirely electronic with starting holes (but still paper scorecards for scoring). The TDs at each course would enter their scores into TM, and the scoring office would set the starting holes for the next round. Ideally, this all took place pretty quickly, and the players would know their starting holes before they even got to the next course. There were certainly some hiccups, and every round there were some players who couldn't figure out how to use the website, but really it went fairly smoothly. Each TD at a course would have to refresh the results page repeatedly while waiting for the new starting holes to appear, and then rush to write out scorecards. They'd still use a scoreport to organize the scorecards, but that's just 18 slips of paper instead of 90.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2019, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

From an organizing standpoint, I would never want to give up the scoreport in a shotgun start round. Forget the ease/difficulty of sorting the board vs using the tournament manager, or the ease of players finding out their starting holes. I want the scoreport for one reason only...distributing the scorecards for the round. I can put the board out with the scorecards and let the players take the cards from there. What is the alternative if there's no scoreport, reading off names aloud and/or handing scorecards off one-by-one? Yuck.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 320 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
From an organizing standpoint, I would never want to give up the scoreport in a shotgun start round. Forget the ease/difficulty of sorting the board vs using the tournament manager, or the ease of players finding out their starting holes. I want the scoreport for one reason only...distributing the scorecards for the round. I can put the board out with the scorecards and let the players take the cards from there. What is the alternative if there's no scoreport, reading off names aloud and/or handing scorecards off one-by-one? Yuck.
If you're using PDGALive for scorekeeping, then you don't have to pass out scorecards, and there's no need for a scoreport at all.

When you jump in 100%, it's a fully-fledged tournament management system that doesn't require any paper at all. If you jump in only 50%, it might be easier, might be harder. But overall, there are a ton of options available to TDs now, and each TD can try to make the best decision for his particular tournament on his particular course.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
If you're using PDGALive for scorekeeping, then you don't have to pass out scorecards, and there's no need for a scoreport at all.

When you jump in 100%, it's a fully-fledged tournament management system that doesn't require any paper at all. If you jump in only 50%, it might be easier, might be harder. But overall, there are a ton of options available to TDs now, and each TD can try to make the best decision for his particular tournament on his particular course.
I'm all for doing electronic scoring but if being 100% in means entirely paperless, I can't envision my events ever getting there. Regardless of how ubiquitous smart phones are and how willing the players are to buy into doing their score keeping electronically, I would still want a paper card kept by each group as a back up should technology fail.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-28-2019, 02:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,282 Times in 1,451 Posts

At 2012 Am Worlds, the scoreport was an hour late getting to the afternoon's course. No idea why; I just recall mulling around in 98 degree heat, waiting.

Which I offer as acknowledgement that paper/manual processing isn't risk-free, either.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 207 Times in 136 Posts

If you don't have score uploads (i.e. internet connection) after each hole then you need a controlled client app or the whole group each taking score redundantly with their own devices, otherwise you cannot prevent the scoretaker modifying the scores just before uploading.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 3
Niced 58 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post

72 players sitting around a scoreport is actually the best part of tourneys.

Niced: (3)