Old 08-31-2019, 08:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 132
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 526 Times in 255 Posts

I'd be OK with 2 arms raised straight up for safe, and crossed arms up for OB.

I do think we should stay away from the baseball safe/football incomplete motion as it can mean different things to different people
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-31-2019, 08:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,133 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Sorry, newer version with Danny Lindahl.

http://glassblownopen.com/instruction-for-gbo-spotters
Video didn't mention the importance of listening, especially on holes that have THICK rough. I've been spotting on Toboggan for over a decade, and on holes with gnarly rough, listening for any sounds a disc makes as it penetrates the rough can really help you find it. It can tell you how if it's still short of you, or long of you, about how far off the fairway it went, and whether it hit something solid and fell, or if it hit bushy growth.

Also make sure you watch all the players on the card throw. Don't go off into the jungle chasing the 2nd thrower's disc and miss the 3rd players throw... or the 4th. I just drop a flag about where I think it should be, and listen.

Only after all the players on the card have thrown, do I go on safari to find a disc. Look for every player's disc like it it's your own.

Spotting's like anything else... the more you do it, the better you get.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-31-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 212
Niced 271 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
... still wondering why flag colors or symbols on them should be important. It's much clearer if you transport the signal with gestures and use flags only to intensify them and to clarify who the official is.

Reasons: Gestures are seen by all kinds of colorblind people, various combinations of colors not. Gestures can be better seen than symbols on flags for shortsighted people. Gestures can be better seen than colors or symbols if the sun is behind the official. Gestures are independent of wind (e.g. strong head/tail wind), which can cause symbols on flags to be not properly seen. Gestures can be shown even without flags. Gestures can be shown with any kind of flags or light signal or whatever, they can even work in the dark.

Flag colors and symbols on flags are in all cases inferior to gestures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Video didn't mention the importance of listening, especially on holes that have THICK rough. I've been spotting on Toboggan for over a decade, and on holes with gnarly rough, listening for any sounds a disc makes as it penetrates the rough can really help you find it. It can tell you how if it's still short of you, or long of you, about how far off the fairway it went, and whether it hit something solid and fell, or if it hit bushy growth.

Also make sure you watch all the players on the card throw. Don't go off into the jungle chasing the 2nd thrower's disc and miss the 3rd players throw... or the 4th. I just drop a flag about where I think it should be, and listen.

Only after all the players on the card have thrown, do I go on safari to find a disc. Look for every player's disc like it it's your own.

Spotting's like anything else... the more you do it, the better you get.

Those are all good suggestions. I hope you all will share those with Danny or Bobby or Doug at Dynamic Discs. I'm sure they will take them positively to improve the vid nexr year.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 67
Niced 261 Times in 142 Posts

I often will take roll the small flags up so I can lay them on the ground by my feet pointing at where the disc landed until all the players have thrown.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 82
Niced 167 Times in 78 Posts

Can you add one for;

"I'm a little teapot, short and stout"

I think that would cover just about everything,
Old 08-31-2019, 10:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 328 Times in 157 Posts

A couple of my opinions on flags and spotter technique:
- I prefer for the spotters to not wave their flag wildly. Just hold it in the air so we can see it clearly. I find that waving it wildly actually makes it harder to tell which color it is.
- Don't stand in the shade when waving the flag. Get the flag out in the sunlight to show off its colors.
- If the disc is even remotely close, don't make a call. Let the group come up and make the call.
- Don't kill yourself trying to find a lost disc. You're gonna be out there for a long day - no need to be bleeding for half of it.
- One additional gesture that could be useful is "OB up here" vs "OB back there". Like, if a roller curls back and barely crosses inbounds before finishing OB.
- Speaking of the last point, you'll be surprised at how many groups overrule your decision. The spotter might say "I didn't see it cross back in bounds up there" and the group might utterly ignore you and say, "pretty sure it crossed up there. Take your spot up there."

Quote:
... still wondering why flag colors or symbols on them should be important. It's much clearer if you transport the signal with gestures and use flags only to intensify them and to clarify who the official is.
One positive for flags is that there's only one guy with flags. Any spectator can start waving his hands around in the air, but only the sorta-official tournament spotter has flags.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:37 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 208 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
One positive for flags is that there's only one guy with flags. Any spectator can start waving his hands around in the air, but only the sorta-official tournament spotter has flags.
As I said, do give the spotters flags, for exactly this reason, but give them two same-colored flags which which they make gestures. This is no reason for red/green flags but one for making the spotter as such. I fully agree that it is good to mark the spotters. Flags are one possibility to do so.

In information science you would call this a question about orthogonality.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-03-2019, 12:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,010 Times in 585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
^ I think that's why the middle finger is so effective. Nobody has trouble interpretting what it means.
No, sir. I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir
Old 09-03-2019, 02:12 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
As I said, do give the spotters flags, for exactly this reason, but give them two same-colored flags which which they make gestures. This is no reason for red/green flags but one for making the spotter as such. I fully agree that it is good to mark the spotters. Flags are one possibility to do so.
That works even better then red/green as it seems for some reason I forgot about The colorblind, this works better then having a specific shirt they wear as a Spectator as a joke or to help their favorite player might don that shirt while out there after checking out to see if they are wearing the shirt of the person doing the spotting. Now then flags yeah the fan could be carrying them but The people officiating could be stopping and seeing if they have flags and confiscating them till the end of the tournament or they are going to leave.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 208 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
ow then flags yeah the fan could be carrying them but The people officiating could be stopping and seeing if they have flags and confiscating them till the end of the tournament or they are going to leave.
They just have to ensure that the fan's flags are sufficiently different (size, color) from the official flags. Furthermore, it's unlike that fans carry two similar flags with them, as the spotters would do. (Therefore, the spotter gestures should use both flags.)

Anyways, flags seem to be rather rare in disc golf crowds, at least what I saw on video coverage.

Thus, I don't see much of a problem here.