Old 09-03-2019, 04:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts

Very interesting discussion - and I got a good chuckle out of the joke that spawned it too!

From a media perspective I LOVE colored flags and spotters who wave them enthusiastically. Sometimes hole design doesn't allow for the cameras to see the end result, being able to find a spotter waving a flag with your lens in that moment really does add to the video experience, and makes the tournament look better.

The colorblind issue is a tough one. I wonder if there's a good solution using both gestures and colored flags? I feel like I've seen something similar before...maybe even USDGC? Check it:

Red Flag waving and then pointing towards the particular OB zone/boundary where the disc is resting means OB at that spot (this can be ballpark, doesn't need to be 100% accurate, especially if there are marker flags the spotter can put into the ground)

Reg Flag waving and then pointing towards Tee/at the player means the disc did not cross inbounds, in the opinion of the spotter, and therefore the player should discuss a provisional with the group and/or re-tee.

Alternatively, the spotter could hold the green flag by the "flag end" so it doesn't wave, and use the handle as a pointer/indicator to help gesture.

---

In bounds would be green flag waving and red flag down at your side, basically like Danny indicates in the DD video

---

A "questionable, needs group decision" indication is where I prefer the spotters to cross both flags in an X above their head, standing near the disc itself.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Old 09-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
They just have to ensure that the fan's flags are sufficiently different (size, color) from the official flags. Furthermore, it's unlike that fans carry two similar flags with them, as the spotters would do. (Therefore, the spotter gestures should use both flags.)

Anyways, flags seem to be rather rare in disc golf crowds, at least what I saw on video coverage.

Thus, I don't see much of a problem here.
No but some people might try, but nobody does yet with the current flags so I think we are okay. I see more the problem with a specific official shirts then anything and more to get some kind of dumb internet fame for being stupid then anything more so then to help a favorite player and punish others.

This is why flags are the way to go.

Niced: (1)