Old 09-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 67
Niced 261 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
I'm not following your words I guess, but I know for a fact the right foot in this picture is a violation because it's not behind the lie with respect to line of play.
It's no closer to the target so is thus legal. Read 804.02 + 802.07
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 669 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
I'm not following your words I guess, but I know for a fact the right foot in this picture is a violation because it's not behind the lie with respect to line of play.
Care to provide a specific link to the rulebook that backs up your claim stating it must be behind the lie? In this case your fact is fiction and you are misreading it or making up a rule that doesnt exist.

Rule states "Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc" nothing about being behind the line of play.

In this case the corner of the mando is the current target until is has been passed. So the right foot in this pic is not touching or inside the red circle on the diagram, meaning it is not closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc. Not a violation.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 220
Niced 57 Times in 32 Posts

Hmmm... I see now... the NEW TARGET is the key phrase.

I've been teaching this wrong based on perhaps an older rule? Nate Sexton taught a clinic of sorts between rounds when this question came up 2 years ago and he would NOT allow us to play the right foot out to stretch beyound the mando, but rather drew a perpendicular line to the line of play and mentioned we should stay be behind that... ala.. normal straddle type rule.

Learn something every day and now I need to do some "unteaching"...
Old 09-06-2019, 01:54 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 135 Times in 72 Posts

And for further reference:

Quote:
QA-PUT-1: If I’m straddle putting, does my other foot have to be on a line perpendicular to my lie?

No. Your other foot can be as close to the target as the back of your marker. So, your other foot does not have to be directly to the side of the foot behind the marker. In fact, the foot behind your marker can be as much as 30cm back (the length of the lie) and/or 10cm to the side (half of the lie’s 20cm width), which means that your other foot can actually be closer to the target. It just can’t be closer than the back of your marker. Also remember that the shape that marks the same distance to the target as the back of your marker is a circle whose center is the target.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 09-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 330 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Hmmm... I see now... the NEW TARGET is the key phrase.

I've been teaching this wrong based on perhaps an older rule? Nate Sexton taught a clinic of sorts between rounds when this question came up 2 years ago and he would NOT allow us to play the right foot out to stretch beyound the mando, but rather drew a perpendicular line to the line of play and mentioned we should stay be behind that... ala.. normal straddle type rule.

Learn something every day and now I need to do some "unteaching"...
There's also a little bit of room between what the rule truly says vs what's realistically feasible. If your lie is 12" away from the target, you can straddle the target if you want. But as you get farther away from the target, the circular "no closer" zone gets closer and closer to looking like a perpendicular line.

If you have a 3' wide straddle stance these are the differences between circle and a perpendicular line:
5' away from target: Off-foot can be 10.0" closer to the basket than the perpendicular
10' away from target: Off-foot can be 5.2" closer to the basket than the perpendicular
20' away from target: Off-foot can be 2.7" closer to the basket than the perpendicular
30' away from target: Off-foot can be 1.8" closer to the basket than the perpendicular
40' away from target: Off-foot can be 1.3" closer to the basket than the perpendicular

So, realistically, there's no real harm in telling someone that the perpendicular is the rule. It's close enough for *most* purposes.

Niced: (1)