Old 09-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default Power Grip Grip lock issues.

I have made it a goal this summer to improve my BH as it really sucks compared to my FH. I feel I have greatly improved it but I only have consistent drives with a fan grip. When I try to use a power grip at least 75% of the time I grip lock horribly and the disc flies way off to the right (much farther than my fan grip drives but in the wrong direction doesn't help much lol). I use a champ leo for most of my BH drives because I have no arm speed for a distance driver. When I power grip something with a deeper rim it does feel more comfortable and I feel the grip lock doesn't happen as much with a deeper,larger rim/faster disc, but I just don't have the speed needed to throw them as well as I can the Leo with a fan grip. Thanks in advance for any much needed advice thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts

I'm also grip locking HEAVILY with my Leo. I only got a 150g dx tho. I got a 172g Valk that I almost never grip lock with, I attributed it to the Valk being a much heavier disc, but it's possible that it's related to the rim depth as well, haven't really considered that. But one thing that we got in common is that we don't got the speed to throw distance drivers properly, and I think that's at least a part of the reason why we're grip locking. I believe that with the correct speed / snap the disc would rip out of my grip, but with my weak technique the disc doesn't get the correct momentum to rip properly. I haven't been doing any active wrist extension yet, I'm just a newb, hopefully I'll get more snap doing that. Hopefully it cures my grip lock problem as well.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 62
Niced 101 Times in 70 Posts

Grip lock is never a grip issue on full power drives. You should create angles that make it impossible for you to keep your grip to the point of grip lock.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Suggest try closing your stance and delaying your shoulder turn...
Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKRanger View Post
I have made it a goal this summer to improve my BH as it really sucks compared to my FH. I feel I have greatly improved it but I only have consistent drives with a fan grip.
Wow, I have the same problem. Except for I am not always grip locking, just inconsistent when I power grip. I fan grip like Michael Johanson, this is the only way I get a true snap and see discs fly with a 'S' curve. But.... I max out at 300'-325', halfway consistently.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 51
Niced 19 Times in 7 Posts

grip lock often times can be the result of a loose grip.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkncrank View Post
Suggest try closing your stance and delaying your shoulder turn...
Shoulder turn makes perfect sense to try but I guess I don't understand what you mean by closing my stance if you could please explain.
What I dont get is that my form is the same only difference is my grip. So is my form wrong for both and I get correct release with the fan grip because it is a looser grip that will rip out with the incorrect form I have at the right time where as the power grip will not?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 33
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

So I'll lob this out there: post some video of your form. Side and rear angles, well lit and preferably slow motion.

Most players have issues with their form. An incredibly common issue is having the disc slip out before it's supposed to. It's so common that most players just adjust their stance to handle the slipping and get used to it slipping out at the same spot.

Every once in a while, players will hold onto the disc later than usual and it goes way right (RHBH) and sometimes when that happens they notice it goes longer. They've accidentally seen what the beginnings of a "hit" feels like.

As you correct your form and start hitting on a regular basis, there is ZERO chance for grip lock on a drive. You simply can't hold onto the disc. It's ejecting with force that is much more than your hand can sustain. Slipping out early is much more common with a full hitting form, because if you don't hold on as tight as possible during the final acceleration, the disc will come out.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 21
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

So is it just a matter of holding on tighter?

Also, I don't really squeeze or tighten my whole hand. I just pinch really hard with my pointer finger and thumb. Should I grip as hard as I can with my whole hand?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:42 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
. Should I grip as hard as I can with my whole hand?
No. Pulling the disc into the hand is one of the worst things you can do. It sounds like a release problem and likely has to do with how the disc is orientated in your hand. Does it sit like this?

Quote:
Rip Point and Force
The primary focus of the grip should be to achieve the greatest amount of force on the disc at the rip point. The rip occurs when the disc overpowers the rip finger and forces its way out of the hand. Since acceleration and velocity pull the disc out of the hand, the stronger your rip point, the greater force will be applied to the disc as it launches from the hand. The distance potential available here is also closely related to snap and follow through, but all things equal, more rip force will always translate into more distance than less rip force.

Grips that rip off of the middle finger may actually have better success with the index finger outside of the rim. Since with these grips, the middle finger should be the last finger to leave the disc, if the index finger is curled with its pad on the rim, it may get in the way and skew the nose angle upwards during the rip. If you throw with a middle finger rip, you may want to experiment with the index finger placement to help achieve a better nose down trajectory.

Lock Point and Spin
The lock point is the other strength point of the grip. A key to accuracy is that the lock point must leave cleanly immediately before the rip occurs. Some grips cater better to this than others (such as grips that reduce the number of fingers on the rim at the lock point), but most grip locks occur when the lock point hangs on to the disc too long. The lock point has some play in the spin potential on the disc. The greater the force of the lock point, the greater the angular velocity on the disc will be as it enters the rip. While disc spin is much less important than rip force, more spin on the disc will make a disc fly straighter and retard low speed fade.

Timing, Snap, and Follow Through
The actions described above may seem rather difficult to execute when described independent of the throwing motion. While these are factors that should occur naturally, they are very dependent upon timing. The lock release and rip occur immediately after the snap of the wrist during the throw. Also, rip force is only maximized when you get a good, strong follow through. If your timing is off, you may not achieve the snap needed to release the lock at the right time, or you may not have the follow through occurring at the right time, which will neutralize much of the potential rip force. Unfortunately this article cannot teach timing, but what it can do is to give you the best chance of success when your timing is working.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ttoripit.shtml