Old 12-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default MVP/Axiom Fairway Driver + Putter

A couple months ago I bought a Theory and have been in love with it. It's my first MVP/Axiom disc and I throw it a ton on slight left to right shots (RHBH) because I love the smooth turnover with minimal fade. For longer shots however, there's been times where I want to throw the Theory, but would use my Leopard instead because I can get the distance more comfortably. I love the Leopard (175), but it fades more and is more of an S type of flight. What FD should I try from MVP/Axiom?

I've heard plenty of people saying the Crave is a great disc, so that's my initial thought... but I don't know if it's quite as understable? Is the stability relative to a Theory or would something like a Switch do this better? or an Inspire?

Also, I'd like to try a putter or two from them. I'm looking for a putting putter rather than one for driving. I've always used Aviars, but would be willing to test some of these out. I love the feel of the discs, maybe it will help me improve. It seems like everyone is different in this area... Envy, Anode, Ion, soft plastic or not... No idea what to choose. Normally I prefer stiffer plastics, but am willing to try anything. Also, the Proxy is out soon. (I won't really be discing until Spring, so no issues there.) What is your putting putter or choice and why?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2014, 10:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,176 Times in 2,219 Posts

Inspire is basically a tad faster leopard, and the disc I dropped my leo's for. It has a very similar flight to the theory, smooth turnover without burning to a roll. Also handles being flicked well. As for putters if your wanting a stiff, I would wait a little while until they start releasing some of the molds in the new baseline plastic.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

For me I use the Neutron Ion, firm and grippy, first of their discs I bought and I love it for putting. Envy is a great driving putter and so is the Anode but for me I like the stiffness of the Ion and have always preferred beaded putters. Can't recommend the Ion enough.

As to the FD question, I have never thrown the Inspire but I found the switch to be a might bit unpredictable for me, sometimes it would turn, other times run flat and some days it flew like Servo. Not to say it's not a nice disc but I could never get it dialed in. That being said I've never clicked with that class of FD, I generally like something in the 9 speed family that is overstable to start and I can season and cycle.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The inspire was finnicky for me as stated above. Anytime i left the nose up it would fade. A lighter Amp may be what you want if youre not worried about it being too long, as even my light switch faded more than any of my pro leopards.

As for putters the ion/anode are deep and didnt click with me, but the envy fits nice. You'll have the options of (over)stable and neutral in both types of feel soon.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Par Member

Niced 43 Times in 21 Posts

The Crave for me has more HSS than my Leopards do, but the Inspire coupled with a Servo and Switch combination gives flexibility.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 69
Niced 95 Times in 65 Posts

The fairways I've thrown all have some fade when fresh. Most of the drivers, in fact, don't really finish as straight as it sounds like you're looking for without beating it into them. I haven't thrown the Inspire, so maybe.

The Switch probably has more turn and more fade than you want for this flight. My guess is the closes thing (a bit of turn, little fade) is a beat up Crave.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I highly recommend checking the MVP flight charts. I know it's in style to knock manufacturer ratings but the MVP charts show flights over a spread of power ranges. They are quite useful.

That said, the Axiom Inspire is closest to your Leopard. The Switch will have too much fade.

Putters are a very personal choice. If youlike a KC Aviar/Wizard feel, check the Ion. If you prefer PnA Aviar, check the anode. For putting putters my progression went PnA, wizard, Anode. To me an Anode fits the hand like my most comfy PnA aviars. I don't like the rounded inner rim of the Ion/Anode for power grip driving. I use the Envy for that. Great driving putter.

Now, the Proxy is coming and so is the base plastic putter. I try not to tell someone what I think the best putter is. It's a personal feel/confidence thing so it's really up to you. I recommend trying each out if you can borrow them or can afford to buy one of each. If you can't, pick the one that sounds closest to what you know you like. That's how I ended up with the Anode. I knew I didn't like beads.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Inspire is basically a tad faster leopard, and the disc I dropped my leo's for. It has a very similar flight to the theory, smooth turnover without burning to a roll. Also handles being flicked well. As for putters if your wanting a stiff, I would wait a little while until they start releasing some of the molds in the new baseline plastic.
Yeah the new options of plastic should be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEMAMA View Post
and have always preferred beaded putters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingdiscs View Post
As for putters the ion/anode are deep and didnt click with me, but the envy fits nice. You'll have the options of (over)stable and neutral in both types of feel soon.
I've never really liked beaded putters. And as far as deepness goes, I'll just have to go get my hands on these discs I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
The fairways I've thrown all have some fade when fresh. Most of the drivers, in fact, don't really finish as straight as it sounds like you're looking for without beating it into them. I haven't thrown the Inspire, so maybe.

The Switch probably has more turn and more fade than you want for this flight. My guess is the closes thing (a bit of turn, little fade) is a beat up Crave.
I guess I was kind of assuming some of the drivers had the same characteristics as far as fade goes. I wouldn't mind beating in a disc if I like it to begin with.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue9 View Post
I highly recommend checking the MVP flight charts. I know it's in style to knock manufacturer ratings but the MVP charts show flights over a spread of power ranges. They are quite useful.

That said, the Axiom Inspire is closest to your Leopard. The Switch will have too much fade.

Putters are a very personal choice. If youlike a KC Aviar/Wizard feel, check the Ion. If you prefer PnA Aviar, check the anode. For putting putters my progression went PnA, wizard, Anode. To me an Anode fits the hand like my most comfy PnA aviars. I don't like the rounded inner rim of the Ion/Anode for power grip driving. I use the Envy for that. Great driving putter.

Now, the Proxy is coming and so is the base plastic putter. I try not to tell someone what I think the best putter is. It's a personal feel/confidence thing so it's really up to you. I recommend trying each out if you can borrow them or can afford to buy one of each. If you can't, pick the one that sounds closest to what you know you like. That's how I ended up with the Anode. I knew I didn't like beads.

Good luck.
Yeah the charts are pretty nice. Even though they are much better than the average flight path, I still like to ask people's opinions and experiences. Looking at the charts, I think Toro is right on the money with the beat in Crave... looks like the others fade a bit more than I had hoped. I can always put a little anny on it or something until then. Otherwise, the Inspire could be a good option.

I didn't know the Ion was beaded before these posts, so that's helpful. And yeah, i'll go feel some putters, but again, it's nice to hear people's thoughts. Is it known what molds the base plastic is coming out in? or is it 1 specific putter?

Old 12-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

The Crave is much more stable than a Leo to me. I have a 153 Crave, and it flies straight with predictable fade, very little turn unless I really put some heat on it or throw a flex with it. If I flex a Leo it just turns to a roller. Haven't thrown an Inspire or Switch yet so I can't recommend either but I am sure both would be closer to your Leo.

As far as putters go, I use an Envy because I like the shallower rim. I had a soft Ion that was great, but I just wasn't as comfortable with the feel. If you want something a little less stable, the Anode feels pretty great, in between an Ion and Envy in feel to me, but since you have time, you might wait for the Proxy as well. IMO though, the Envy is both the best driving and putting putter I've used.