Old 12-08-2014, 01:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 209
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 311 Times in 166 Posts
Default GoCart maintenance

Has anyone here attempted to perform any type of maintenance on their GoCart? I know when I picked up mine this past June I immediately made plans in my head to tear it apart over winter and at the very least lube up the moving parts around the wheels.

Well, I finally got around to doing this tonight. I was surprised to find a little bit of rust developing. I usually try not to drag the cart around in the rain because there's not much in the way of rain protection, but sometimes you can't avoid it. While the cart is almost entirely made out of aluminum, there are a few steel parts that seem to not like water that much.

The underside of the hinge was the first obvious spot where I saw a bit of surface rust developing:

Also, while wiping down the axle I noticed a little surface rust on both ends of it as well:

I took a steel wool pad to the rusty areas to clean them up best I could, then cleaned off all the bearings and applied a healthy dose of grease everywhere I felt necessary. That should help it in the long run. I have a feeling this might be something I would need to do every 6 months (12 months at the latest). I will definitely try to be a bit more mindful to wipe off the hinge after a rainy round to make sure it doesn't stay wet for too long.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Maybe something else I missed?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 57
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been really contemplating between a ridge roller or a gocart. Which one would be lighter? Do you think the metal frame on the ridge roller would suffer the same rust as the gocart?

If it was the same price as a ridge roller which would you pick? I already have an awesome revo carolina in storage since I got my grip, so that would be perfect for the gocart. But the rr is pretty nice, but also $100 more.

Decisions, decisions
Old 12-10-2014, 09:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 245
Niced 1,629 Times in 712 Posts

I love my GoCart. I too need to drag in and put in some work. My wheels are making an unfriendly grinding sound. I have not seen the Ridge Roller.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 33
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivey311 View Post
Do you think the metal frame on the ridge roller would suffer the same rust as the gocart?

If it was the same price as a ridge roller which would you pick? I already have an awesome revo carolina in storage since I got my grip, so that would be perfect for the gocart. But the rr is pretty nice, but also $100 more.

Decisions, decisions
The ridge roller uses an all aluminum frame, so it shouldn't have the issues with rust. The axle on the ridge roller looks really flimsy compared to the GoCart or Delta Cart. Zuca Luggage (the company that makes the pre-modified ridge roller) says that their bags are water proof, very nice feature! But, the ridge roller is really small.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've lubed the wheels with marine grease several times but that's about it. My cart has been holding up great and thankfully, I don't have any signs of rust. My foam grips fell apart and I replaced them with thick bar wrap intended for bicycles. I sprayed all fabric on my go cart with 6-8 coats of plasti dip when I first got the cart which has helped the fabric last.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Yep, I forwarded this information in an email to GGGT so that they can take a look at it and see if they can improve on the design some.

The frame on the cart is all aluminum, but the axle and the hinge are steel. Those two are the only parts that can potentially rust.

I like the overall design of the Ridge Roller better, but I was able to use funny money (am winnings) to buy my GoCart so it was a no brainer. I think as long as you get good water-repellent grease on the axle it should not be an issue. I'm actually surprised there has been no mention from anyone on maintaining the cart. The axle is completely exposed to the elements and whatever grease is there doesn't last long. I also remember from working on cars that when you have two different metals in contact together it actually accelerates corrosion, so that's something to think about when you have those aluminum sleeves on the steel axle with little to no protection.

I also plan on replacing my foam grip with bicycle handlebar wrap when it wears out. So far it's holding up, but I have seen how fast they shred on other carts.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

a little bit of this stuff goes a longggg ways and it doesn't really come off, ever.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 21 Times in 13 Posts

Hey guys I'm the guy that makes the Ridge Roller. Just wanted to give my 2 cents on my cart my carts are all aluminum tubing injected with plastic for strength and lightweight 11 pound empty. The cart can hold 30-35 discs with ample storage. The axle is 1/2" heat treated steal with 11 stainless lug nuts on each side of the wheels/frame it's super strong. I have guys weighing over 300 pounds and the axle Is solid!!! The bag is mad of ballistic nylon the handlepole is all aluminum and has a quick release and semi telescoping. I also have a option of sealed bearing and a solid inner tube. Check out my facebook page Ridge Roller
Old 12-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 21 Times in 13 Posts

I also include a rain fly with every cart. Quick release putter pouch that mounts to the pole. Thanks guys... please hit me up if you have any questions

Last edited by Rocs8x9x; 12-11-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
a little bit of this stuff goes a longggg ways and it doesn't really come off, ever.

Ha, yeah anti seize is awesome. I have tons of that stuff as well. I chose to go with syl-glide for the axle though because there's a lot of motion/friction around those sleeves. I don't think anything is moving fast enough or generating enough pressure to necessitate grease so I'm sure anti-seize will work fine but I had both so I went with the grease.