Old 06-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default When am I ready to go to a higher speed distance driver?

I've been playing 3-5 times a week for a month now and started with a fairway driver champion TL(7,5,0,1). I then moved to a distance driver champion Krait(11,5,-1,2) , and for the last 2 weeks have been using a distance driver champion road runner (9,5,-4,1). I realized I was reading the numbers wrong and that I should choose a smaller number for the turn to help keep my discs straighter while I'm still learning and the road runner has been pretty good for that.

So I've been noticing for the most part I'm starting to get a little more distance the more I throw with the road runner (I throw RHBH). But I'm talking about 250-275 on a good throw. How much longer do I use the road runner before upgrading to a new disc. From what I've read and I'm still pretty new to things, you don't wanna go up to a 13 speed when your first starting out because its teaches bad habits so I don't wanna go to high on speed but feel like the major part of my game that's lacking is the distance piece.

Also if I do go up in speed should I be looking to keep my turn and fade numbers close to the road runner or should I try and go closer to 0. If these sounds like silly questions it's because I'm still new to the sport. I'm wanting to progress my game to the next level but wanna make sure I'm doing it the right way or best practice so to speak.

Any input from seasoned players is appreciated!

Thanks,
- Steve
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Honestly, I'd stick with fairways for now. TL is a great disc to start with. Many will suggest the Leopard or cheetah as well. Once your consistently hitting near 300
Old 06-29-2015, 03:57 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

Keep working on form with neutral, slower discs. Leopards, Patriots, Comets, Rivers, etc, are all great discs to learn good form with. At your current distances, you really aren't going to benefit from throwing anything over a speed 8.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 241
Niced 58 Times in 32 Posts

Since you said you want to get better I would recommend throwing putters and/or midrange discs more and throw the TL less. I wish someone would have told me when I first started out that there is no magic disc to make you throw farther you just have to keep practicing and in time (and it could be months or years depending on your ability) you will get more distance. In the mean time practice good form and follow the sticky links in this sub forum. As far as going up a speed you won't be ready for a while like I said but when you are ready you should try something similar in flight numbers to what you're already throwing but at a faster speed, this will help you know if you're ready to go up. Does that make sense to you?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 318
Niced 403 Times in 183 Posts

Hey, I'm an old, overweight guy who just took up the sport four years ago when I turned 50. I too wish I'd have listened when folks said to focus on lower speed discs, but I always wanted to see distance gains like the young whippersnappers. Kept trying a bunch of high speed stuff until I realized they're only useful if your arm speed gets up there.

Now I throw (rhbh) my (Vibram VP) putters at anything inside 100', my mids (Buzzz mostly, sometimes a Fuse & a Tensor) out to 240', and basically a selection of speed 7 fairway drivers (Teebird, River and Underworld) out to maybe 280'. I still break the rule a bit by depending on my Terns at 300+, but I don't think I've ever really thrown past 360' on a flat hole with those.

As evidence that you can do a lot with lower speed stuff, I have a friend who throws a pro Rhyno further than I can drive. He can beat me with a putter only, so there aren't even a lot of courses around where he needs to contemplate high speed discs. I know, anecdotal stuff, but it serves to remind me there's no magic distance disc. It's all form, technique, experience. Throw discs that perform reliably -predictably- for you, and enjoy!
Old 06-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 78 Times in 42 Posts

If you're playing 3-5 times a week, make at least one of those rounds putters only. Also mix in rounds of putter, OS mid and US mid(throw both mids from every spot, like a solo best shot doubles round). I was given this advice and ignored it for a long time. Saw immediate results once I finally tried it.
Other practice rounds:
Any new disc- that disc and a putter.
Putter and neutral mid(learning to make discs go left or right on your own is key)
Teebird and leopard-again throwing both from every shot.

Find an empty field, preferably with painted sidelines, and find the right arm angle for each disc you intend to bag that gets it to land on the sideline when you aim down the sideline(should be hyzer release for US, and anny release for OS). This is a better way to tell when you should be moving up in discs. If you have to start an understable driver on an anny just to finish straight, you should throw something slower.

If you aren't sure if you are releasing hyzer, or flat, or anny, buy a NOVA(get one anyway, they're awesome). Throw the Nova down the sideline. If it finishes left you released hyzer, right was anhyzer. If it goes 200+ feet dead straight and comes to rest on the sideline, you released perfectly flat and torque free(winner, winner chicken dinner!!!).

Any of these drills will shave more strokes from your game than just trying to rip a faster disc past where your roc/teebird/whatever landed. And learning to shape lines with your slower discs will end up netting you more distance from all your discs anyway.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm at the same distance as you.
I throw a vibram summit 150 in.
150-230ish I throw a vibram ibex.
239ish-290ish (my max d) I use the vibram unlace.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 PM

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I appreciate all the advice, I do feel however that may road runner (9 speed) keeps getting better and better and adding distance the more I use it, do you think I should put it back in the bag so to speak and just work on fairway drivers and mid range discs?

I am definitely hearing what everyone's saying (and I do have a field by my house I go and throw at sometimes) but I feel like if I'm noticing improvements in my game and distance I shouldn't go to a higher disc yet but feel I should keep with the road runner for now since it is improving and giving me confidence when I throw as well as being pretty predictible for me, thoughts?

I do have a stingray that I use for mid range shots (even hit a 60 foot shot right in the basket for birdie with it once) and then a champion avair putter in addition to the TL and Krait I mentioned before. Again thanks for all the advice keep it coming!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasteve003 View Post
Again thanks for all the advice keep it coming!
Ok, here you go. This is a good read and I would advise you to try it just for a few rounds, it can be a real eye opener.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ight=build+bag

Other than that, throw what you want. No matter what the advise, if your like a lot of us your just going to justify what you throw anyway. Most of us learn the hard way, so remember to always have fun.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:51 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 360
Niced 725 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
throw. How much longer do I use the road runner before upgrading to a new disc. From what I've read and I'm still pretty new to things, you don't wanna go up to a 13 speed when your first starting out because its teaches bad habits so I don't wanna go to high on speed but feel like the major part of my game that's lacking is the distance piece.
One thing I advise is ditch the whole speed number = experience mentality. Those numbers on the discs aren't gospel truth, they're marketing hype and are at best only good to give you a ballpark estimation of what the disc can do if thrown properly. You may never need a speed 12+ driver in your bag. I don't carry anything above a 10 because I can't get any appreciable results from those discs without screwing my form up. Note: an extra 25' on a few drives in an open field is not a sign of progress.

Quote:
Also if I do go up in speed should I be looking to keep my turn and fade numbers close to the road runner or should I try and go closer to 0. If these sounds like silly questions it's because I'm still new to the sport. I'm wanting to progress my game to the next level but wanna make sure I'm doing it the right way or best practice so to speak.
Same mentality when incorporating beefier discs. Honestly, you should be trying more stable discs at the same speeds you're throwing before going up the speed ladder.