Old 01-13-2016, 03:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default Putting stats and percentages

I know there's no exact answer, but was curious what the house gurus thought about what putting percentages "should" be for someone playing just over a year. From 15 feet I'm hitting 92.5% putts over my last week of practice, 300 putts 4 times a week. I usually move the basket back to 20 feet but don't keep % for those. So, generally what should a ballpark % be for the following for an intermediate player of just over a year:
15 feet
20 feet
25 feet
30 feet

Sorry for the vagueness, this is something that I've been pondering quite a bit. I play with a few others who have been playing for a year or so and their percentages likely wouldn't be too awful close to mine. They shoot 65+ consistently. Guess I'm just looking for a median to shoot for besides the ultimate 100%.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 30 Times in 27 Posts

That's a tough question. There are about four people who started playing this year, and they play roughly the same amount of golf. Their putting skill is all over the place despite this. One guy rarely misses from 15-20' and cans 30 footers on the reg, but the other three have really ugly putts and make probably 1/2 of their 15-20' and with divine assistance a 30' will drop occasionally. I would say 95% from 15' is a good short term goal, and 85% from 20'. That's arbitrary, but it's something to shoot for.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Yeah, I knew it'd be all over the place and borderline impossible to answer. I guess I'm just looking and thinking very broad ballpark answers. I figured right now in intermediate, consistently hitting open 20 ft putts would give me a leg up, last year I played intermediate and maybe the top card were decent putters.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 212
Niced 271 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
I know there's no exact answer, but was curious what the house gurus thought about what putting percentages "should" be for someone playing just over a year. From 15 feet I'm hitting 92.5% putts over my last week of practice, 300 putts 4 times a week. I usually move the basket back to 20 feet but don't keep % for those. So, generally what should a ballpark % be for the following for an intermediate player of just over a year:
15 feet
20 feet
25 feet
30 feet

Sorry for the vagueness, this is something that I've been pondering quite a bit. I play with a few others who have been playing for a year or so and their percentages likely wouldn't be too awful close to mine. They shoot 65+ consistently. Guess I'm just looking for a median to shoot for besides the ultimate 100%.

yeah. What he said. It's just a shot in the dark, because we have to get inside your head to understand what you mean by "should be" for a guy playing for just over a year.

PDGA standards say an intermediate rated male player (<935 rating) is between 50% and 70% from 20 feet. You seem to be better than that, but I'll stab at what I think.
Improve your 15-footers to over 96%+
20-footers 80-85%
25-footers 70-75%
Because it's all about that putt, 'bout that putt ...
Old 01-13-2016, 04:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,785 Times in 1,714 Posts

Old 01-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Heh, maybe posted in jest, but I actually see merit in that. I can imagine how stepping up to a 25 footer thinking "I have a 1 out of 3 chance at making this putt". Could suck pretty decently. I typically don't think much though when putting other than don't miss low, clean release and FOLLOW THE FU#@ THROUGH.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 136 Times in 85 Posts

In dg you have ONE putt from distance X. Nine or so minutes later you have another putt...probably from a different distance. 300 putts in a row may help "groove" a stroke but won't be a good predictor about what you'll do 'one putt at a time'.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:11 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 33
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

The single most important stat is this:

If you are trying to put it in the basket: 100% of the time, putt it like you want it to get there.

Doesn't matter if you've missed 1 or 17 previous putts. Once you commit to it going in the chains, throw it in the chains.

Clearly there's putts that you don't want to miss and go 25-30' long down hill... and in that case you might not putting to put it in the chains. You can lob a putt that can go in or miss and treat you right, and you know when to play strategic.

But on flat ground or uphill, with no concerns, that disc needs to fly with authority. Ever miss an easy putt, grab another disc and bang it home? Putt that way all the time.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 737 Times in 343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
Heh, maybe posted in jest, but I actually see merit in that. I can imagine how stepping up to a 25 footer thinking "I have a 1 out of 3 chance at making this putt". Could suck pretty decently.
Knowing your stats on shots like this can be helpful when deciding whether or not to go for it, especially on high risk green situations. Once I've decided to run for it, I'm working to not think very hard about anything.

Additionally, there are so many factors aside form just length that affect putting percentages. I'm guessing that a lot of these stats are for relatively flat, non-windy putts...those are the least likely to have a heavy risk/reward calculation.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 96
Niced 40 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
...Ever miss an easy putt, grab another disc and bang it home? Putt that way all the time.
My brother was notorious for this. He would get so in his own head before he'd putt that I almost knew there was no way that he could make it; he psyched himself right out of the chains. And then inevitably, seemingly before the first putter was even wobbling around in the dirt in shame, he would slam home a second putter in pure frustration.

Throw the second putt first.

Get out of your own head and make the putt. Mechanics matter. Mental preparation and visualization matter. But at the very core all you're doing is throwing a frisbee into a basket. You probably don't over think your wrist angle or speed of release when you're playing catch with a buddy, you just throw it. Just throw it.