Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Higher Weight Disc for More Distance

My DG buddy and I both use the MVP Wave as our current driver of choice. Not long ago his disc got a split on the rim so he ordered a new one that was 4 grams heavier than the one it was replacing in the same Neutron plastic. He didn't intentionally get a heavier replacement disc, but it was what was available. Right away we noticed he was getting as much as 20' more distance off the tee, consistently. Always chasing greater distance, I also traded in my 171g Wave for a 175g model, though I switched to the stiffer Proton plastic because I found Innova discs seemed to get more glide with their stiffer Champion plastic. Went out this morning to try it for the first time and I, too, was getting a modest but noticeable increase in distance off the tee.

This goes against some of the current wisdom that says lighter disc for greater distance. The theory is that the higher the weight the harder it is to accelerate and spin the disc, so going lighter is supposed to increase your release velocity and, probably, spin. In other words, a lighter disc is easier to throw.

I guess heavier going farther makes some sense. As long as you have the ability to accelerate it and impart spin, the inertia of both flight and spin should be higher, meaning the disc can resist slowing from drag longer and spin fast longer as well. Maintaining spin speed longer can prolong the flight phases of the disc through gyroscopic stability. But there must be a point of diminishing returns, where your arm isn't sufficient to 'charge' the mass of disc at a heavier weight to get that benefit to inertia.

Anyway, if you're looking for a modest increase in distance, you might try upping your disc weight a little. Just remember that you're likely to get a bit more overstable behavior. If you are getting less distance at a higher weight, try a lower weight as you might be unable to pump out the inertia the heavier disc requires.

To sum up, I think there must be an ideal weight, depending on disc and, especially, the arm of the thrower. To find that sweet spot, you should up or down the weight and shift accordingly based on the results. And, of course, as your technique and strength improve over time, that ideal weight will probably become higher.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 242
Niced 1,626 Times in 711 Posts

If you max out arm speed for a disc, it might stand to reason that a heavier disc will go further, within the designed flight characteristics of a particular disc. But, I think there are a ton of variable, outside of weight, that you are not accounting for.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts

Wave acts like two different discs in different weight from what I have read. I do agree with ru4por that there are other factors as well. You also changed plastic type so that is another variable as well. I recently picked up a 159g Neutron Wave. Fun disc. Currently my longest flier probably. I need to get a few more good rips out of it to tell what it is capable of but I'm throwing it about 400ft slightly downhill with a touch of turn on a straight pull.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 4
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

Lighter weight means less gravitation pull. Modern discs with denser plastics, more weight on rim fly farther if they are lighter. Period.

If you sling a weight with a lot of wobble then it may be that heavier could go further. If that's the case you need to work on your release.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 360
Niced 726 Times in 253 Posts

If you throw a ping pong ball, a bouncey rubber ball, a golf ball, or a solid steel ball bearing of similar size, which one goes the farthest?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
If you throw a ping pong ball, a bouncey rubber ball, a golf ball, or a solid steel ball bearing of similar size, which one goes the farthest?
That's it, I'm getting a 100 lb disc, it should fly forever!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 58
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Into the wind the extra mass and momentum can definitely give you more distance. Overall though IDK, I sometimes thought that heavier went further at the same speed but then you have to overcome the additional gravity. It could be that the weight is just giving you a little better timing. 4 grams isn't much to really notice 20 feet like your buddy is seeing, something else is going on.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMachine View Post
but then you have to overcome the additional gravity
Because heavier things fall faster? Are you sure about that?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
Lighter weight means less gravitation pull.
See above.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 58
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
Because heavier things fall faster? Are you sure about that?
I worded that poor. Flying objects yes because it's a balance between weight and lift. The disc has lift which keeps it up in the air, just like if you lift a 5 pound weight or a 10 pound weight, you need more force to lift the extra weight.

If you can throw the heavier disc just as fast as the lighter disc you will have more momentum, but have to overcome more downward pressure because of the extra weight.