Old 06-24-2016, 04:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 55
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on standardizing baskets for tournaments?

As I'm watching different tournaments, they advertise different things from the sponsors. One of them are baskets which makes me curious what the overall opinion might be about standardizing baskets for major tournaments (ie. Pro Tour, World Tour, etc.).

Most sports have a standard "goal" (basket, net, etc.) that has to be used. I'm on the fence about it, but curious what your thoughts are on something like that happening for disc golf.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2016, 04:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 286
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 191 Times in 80 Posts

1. The work required to replace all baskets for the "standard" one would be pretty crazy and probably not feasible or cost prudent
2. If a major basket manufacturer wanted to pay for the rights and manage the conversion...that could be a money maker.
3. In many areas disc golf companies subsidize courses. For example here in CHarlotte. Innova donated 18 baskets to Hornet's nest for the 2012 worlds. It might not be good form to pull them and replace with Prodigy's new basket if the Pro Tour came to town and they were the sponsor.
4. most baskets have some sort of catching flaw. It is what it is.
5. other things that im not thinking of....
Old 06-24-2016, 04:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,535 Times in 1,481 Posts

They already have minimum standards for major tournaments (Tech Standards). I don't see why there would be a need for anything more than that, especially if the next step is choosing a specific design or manufacturer for all courses used in big events. IMO, basket design is an element of course design. If a designer wants his course to have Discatchers rather than MachX or Chainstars or whatever, more power to him. I'd hate to see courses homogenized too much.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 460 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatefreak View Post
Most sports have a standard equipment used due to a lucrative contract with a particular manufacturer, that has to be used.
FTFY

Some good some bad results from this. Plenty of examples out there of the athletes upset, and times when their personal contracts take a hit, like the clothing contract with UFC. Some where the equipment being used is universally hated like the micro fiber ball in NBA some few years ago.

If one of the manufacturers wanted to go out and contract with the PDGA assuming they were also willing, then there would assume some kind of discount baskets would be supplied to the tournament venues.

Could happen, I guess, but probably a little ways off.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

The biggest problem is the bajjion baskets in the wild that would need to be replaced. Who's going to pay for all that?
Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 133
Niced 728 Times in 385 Posts

I don't like the idea... Part of the fun is uniqueness including baskets, design, land, fauna, flora, etc...
Old 06-24-2016, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 49.8
Courses Played: 4
Niced 167 Times in 109 Posts

If a course is to have a major tournament, they should have baskets that meet the minimum standards. I like the minimum standard, it lets each manufacturer have their own feel within a limit.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:13 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 241
Niced 58 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
I don't like the idea... Part of the fun is uniqueness including baskets, design, land, fauna, flora, etc...
This all day long.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1,587 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
This. In fact, I would argue if someone is good enough to be on tour then they ought to be good enough to adjust the putting to accommodate the baskets on the course.

People don't seem to remember there isn't just a material cost to replacing baskets. There's a rather sizable labor component to it as well - especially if the new ones require different sized sleeves. It's a simple process but holy smokes is it a lot of work.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:44 PM

Courses Played: 27
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Many good reasons not to do this already mentioned. One I would add: Standardizing baskets would prevent innovation. Baskets are still evolving, albeit very slowly at this point. I think it's important that within certain standards companies have room to try to improve them.