Old 05-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 23 Times in 16 Posts
Default Problems with grip

The grip is really keeping me from progressing. I know there is a million different ways to grip a disc but I feel like I have to get some things clear. A normal 4 finger power grip. Where should the main pressure point be and how important are the pinky and ring finger? I find it really hard to keep the disc plane with my arm if I focus on the thumb n index finger hook only. On the other hand if I squeeze with the other three fingers the disc slips way too early and often nose up.

My tendency to a slight rounding could be the cause to my grip problems as well. When does the grip have to tighten up on a straight pull? I imagine grips that are somewhat ok for rounded throws are not optimal for straight pulls.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2018, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I feel like I squeeze into the palm with the middle and ring fingers, pinky is there too but it's weak. And I squeeze down with the thumb, while index is kind of just pulling how it's set up. Everything just firms up rather than than death gripping for me. This happens as I approach the right pec position and a lot during the outward swing portion.

Usually if you are getting slips it is from your swing rather than grip, unless the grip is terrible. It's usually from rounding. If you have your hand on the outside of the disc, you won't need to have much grip pressure until near the hit point. I pretty much always feel like my grip slips are from trying to throw too soon with my arm, so my arm goes outward before the arcs line up. I just can't physically hold onto the disc when I do that so it comes out early.

The most important part about your grip, to me, is to have a good nose down orientation and keep the disc on plane.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:40 PM

Niced 39 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I feel like I squeeze into the palm with the middle and ring fingers, pinky is there too but it's weak. And I squeeze down with the thumb, while index is kind of just pulling how it's set up...
Just to clarify, are you using the fingers to squeeze the inner diameter of wing, so that the edge of the disc is pushed into the palm, or are you pushing the plate of the disc up into thumb section of the palm, or a combination of the two?
Old 05-30-2018, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,782 Times in 1,714 Posts

IMO it's easiest to figure out grip starting with Bratten's 2 finger grip and Climo's fork grip. I use the same fan grip that MJ and Wysocki use, but there's really not much difference between different grips once you get the base with 2 fingers and feel how to control the disc's weight with it. I hold my steering wheel and write with a pen with almost the same exact grip or feels the same.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
Just to clarify, are you using the fingers to squeeze the inner diameter of wing, so that the edge of the disc is pushed into the palm, or are you pushing the plate of the disc up into thumb section of the palm, or a combination of the two?
I feel that my anchor fingers, middle/ring/pinky, pull the vertical rim so the edge of the disc into my palm. Then the thumb and base of thumb presses down, and the index squeezes upwards through the flight plate, although it's not necessarily aligned directly across from the index finger. I'm not sure if I squeeze harder than necessary with my anchor fingers, sometimes they get sore from the rim ripping out.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 468 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I use the same fan grip that MJ and Wysocki use,
What made you use this grip?

It is what I moved to from full four finger power grip as I'm pretty sure what I was doing is along the lines of what Slow is describing but I WAS 100% gripping too hard and from the start of the motion. Golf/Tennis elbow was the result and I can feel it most from the middle and ring fingers. Much better with the fan grip and I don't really feel like i've missed too much power or spin... though I can't seem to maintain a good grip with much Anhyzer but that may have to do with shoulder issues OR could be the elbow tendonitis?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Much better with the fan grip and I don't really feel like i've missed too much power or spin... though I can't seem to maintain a good grip with much Anhyzer but that may have to do with shoulder issues OR could be the elbow tendonitis?
I barely throw annies...I have a FH for that ...but I find that with sub perfect form they expose any rounding and create way more early releases. I think the better your form is the easier it is to throw them, but I just find those angles to expose poor form more frequently. Also when you early release an anhyzer they go 100% the wrong way...

Old 05-30-2018, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,782 Times in 1,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
What made you use this grip?

It is what I moved to from full four finger power grip as I'm pretty sure what I was doing is along the lines of what Slow is describing but I WAS 100% gripping too hard and from the start of the motion. Golf/Tennis elbow was the result and I can feel it most from the middle and ring fingers. Much better with the fan grip and I don't really feel like i've missed too much power or spin... though I can't seem to maintain a good grip with much Anhyzer but that may have to do with shoulder issues OR could be the elbow tendonitis?
I suppose curiosity and OD are what made me use the fan grip. I thought how the eff can these guys throw crazy distances with a fan grip? I need to figure this out! I also had an earlier issue with golfer's elbow with power grip and also was gripping too hard from the start, but that issue was remedied by relaxing the power grip.