Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 812 Times in 488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
For pure max d, get a bit of left to right tailish cross wind. Throw your light understable disc on a severe hyzer flip way up high, to the left, you want it to flip over and expose the flight plate to the cross wind which sail your disc. Depending on your power, you can try various stabilities so they fight the turn over and flatten out or possible fade at the end.
btw..this is exactly how Simon and others throw max d bombs. He showed me in person and we talked about it when he was in town a while back.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 52
Niced 14 Times in 7 Posts

If there is a tailwind and I am on the 850 ft par 5 at my home course with the ob ditch that starts about 600 off the tee to about 775 off the tee, I am throwing my Shryke at full power and trying to get it up in the wind so that it will carry the disc out farther allowing my to go with more control with a Destroyer across the ditch while avoiding the ob 20 feet right of the basket running the eagle that I still haven't gotten yet. I just got the distance to think doing this within the last 2 months.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 670 Times in 528 Posts

I'm no 500' thrower, but my furthest throws are definitely high. The trick is to get the disc up, but not stall it out. You have to throw hard and with some anny if you want to throw booming, high drives. If you throw flat and high you'll generally get a hyzer stall.

Every once in a while though I'll get that freak low throw that will go almost as far. Generally a glidey, understable disc that hangs in the air a long while despite being thrown low.

My very best throws probably go 450'.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-28-2018, 10:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 812 Times in 488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Basically if the disc is hitting the ground while still moving forward, and it results in a slide ahead or a skip, then it has more velocity that it could have used in the air...so more height would have helped.
hmm.. I've been pretty happy with throwing the disc lower and letting it hit the ground somewhat flat. But thx to this, it made me realize I'm sacrificing max distance. Will do some field work with this in mind soon. Thx!
Old 05-28-2018, 11:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
hmm.. I've been pretty happy with throwing the disc lower and letting it hit the ground somewhat flat. But thx to this, it made me realize I'm sacrificing max distance. Will do some field work with this in mind soon. Thx!
It's a great shot to have though. Say you can throw a Teebird 330' on a 15-20' high throw, it will be fading after 290'ish feet and the last 20' will be pretty sideways. If you throw it like 8' high then you have a low ceiling shot, 300' dead straight that will hit the ground and not move to the side. But at the same time, if you max it out at that height/distance and throw it 30' high or higher you may stall out and at some point actually start getting less distance. There's a point where throwing it higher gets you just more stalled out fade, and then higher than that actually eats up your power/velocity. I tend to error lower rather than higher like you, more consistency on the course.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
It's a great shot to have though. Say you can throw a Teebird 330' on a 15-20' high throw, it will be fading after 290'ish feet and the last 20' will be pretty sideways. If you throw it like 8' high then you have a low ceiling shot, 300' dead straight that will hit the ground and not move to the side. But at the same time, if you max it out at that height/distance and throw it 30' high or higher you may stall out and at some point actually start getting less distance. There's a point where throwing it higher gets you just more stalled out fade, and then higher than that actually eats up your power/velocity. I tend to error lower rather than higher like you, more consistency on the course.
Your Teebird mention reminds me... I played a Champ Teebird & KC Aviar round on a course that had a few open bomber holes. I don't know distances, but I was working the Teebird flex distance line. Get it nose down, anny line, with some air under it, and there's some easy, controllable distance.

Anyway, that tendency to fade out is obviously the tricky thing about high distance lines. Nose down seems to be the main fix. That and get the hyzer angle right to get some left to right to maximize distance. Seems like there was a lot of that this weekend at SFO.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Anyway, that tendency to fade out is obviously the tricky thing about high distance lines. Nose down seems to be the main fix. That and get the hyzer angle right to get some left to right to maximize distance. Seems like there was a lot of that this weekend at SFO.
Yeah nose down for sure...and it's much easier to throw high on a steep-ish anhyzer or hyzer line. You'd be throwing higher than your capabilities though if you were still throwing nose down but it was stalling or kind of coming back down...on a steep anhyzer think the crazy over the top lines that Simon or Eagle throw sometimes, and if a normal person attempted that height they wouldn't be able to replicate it.

As for normal release angle height, I'm talking more about how in the SFO a few times Drew Gibson threw really really far but on high full flight lines, if I attempted that it doesn't matter how nose down I throw, I'd lose distance.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
As for normal release angle height, I'm talking more about how in the SFO a few times Drew Gibson threw really really far but on high full flight lines, if I attempted that it doesn't matter how nose down I throw, I'd lose distance.
Very true. Watching those vids, there were several throws by Drew and also Paul/Eagle/GG where my first reaction was "that's too high and gonna stall out!" Until it went 500-600'... some of them barely even flipped past flat. Oh to have that arm speed.