Old 04-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 173 Times in 92 Posts

Astigmatic here, and have virtually no distance deterioration since I was 19. I wear glasses exclusively. I've always been a little envious of other golfers with excellent vision.

I think for putting if you have decently corrected vision, the (a) key is keeping your fovea centered on the (your) target throughout the entire throw. The rest is your read and 'feel'.

I have heard many people complain of depth perception issues when wearing sunglasses and it's a fact that sunglasses do affect this aspect of vision.

I appreciate a clever course designer, who use the differences in contrast (light vs. shade) to make play more challenging. It's an under-appreciated skill...anyone else have this observation?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 147 Times in 105 Posts

I wear my glasses to play because they have those transition lenses and double as sunglasses. In that regard they are helpful. I don't know if my eyesight being improved is helpful, as I can see the basket with or without them. I bought one of those straps to hold them on; works great.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:59 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,548 Times in 702 Posts

Sunglasses can affect your depth perception based on the color tint of the lenses. Yellow tint helps with blue background like the sky and rose colored glasses can improve depth perception with green background like foliage. Take a look at the non-prescription tinted glasses available for hunters. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...ide/532383.uts

Niced: (1)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I just found out I'm very mildly farsighted...do simple reading glasses (of the correct power obviously if you know from tests) help out enough for simple things?

I think the depth perception for putting is true though...I refused to play with cheap sunglasses that I didn't trust before, but with good lenses now (non-prescription, just trusted brands) I have confidence with putting as if I weren't using them. For example I wouldn't play catch with a baseball with the cheap sunglasses before, at risk of misjudging and taking a ball to the teeth, and I wouldn't disc golf in them either because I felt it would mess my putts. I imagine vision correction for those who need it is at least as necessary.

Edit: To add to Cgkdisc's post above, I like brown and grey-green shades for disc golfing. Both can help depth perception and ground reading. Brown is great for in the woods...dulls out the background sky but keeps the foliage bright.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:07 PM

For what little data we have on official night rounds plus personal experience, players don't seem to play any worse on average in the dark versus light. I wonder if the position of the lights placed on baskets in the chains or on top helps keep your eye focus high enough to reduce low putts?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

^Weird, I've practiced putting at dusk and my % goes WAY down. Depth perception completely thrown off. Driving isn't much different, just grip and rip.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
^Weird, I've practiced putting at dusk and my % goes WAY down. Depth perception completely thrown off. Driving isn't much different, just grip and rip.
Do you have a light on the basket? I think it's the contrast of the light and dark that pulls your eye to help putting. If the light was placed hanging under the basket, I suspect players would be low putting all the time.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 69
Niced 95 Times in 65 Posts

I'm a bit nearsighted, and got some glasses (regular and blue-blocker sun-) in Dec '15.

I can't say 100% it's improved my game, but it has really added to my enjoyment. Holes/shots @ 300+ used to be less clear (I didn't realize how much until I started wearing the glasses.) But being able to see basket positions clearly, seeing the entire hole clearly, is just more fun for me, if not helping me to play better.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 153 Times in 104 Posts

Depends on how bad your eyes are.

I have 20/800 vision, so at circle's edge I would have a hard time even making out the basket...

Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

I have melanoma in my left eye, and i'm nearsighted, so putting is pretty much a moment to moment thing. Clear sometimes, other times cloudy. I'm not a great putter, but i try to make my routine consistent and aim for the chains (depending on wind, slope, etc.). Then i remind myself i'm lucky to be out there at all. I even played rounds with an eye patch on and radioactive plate/seeds implanted in my eye (i wasn't supposed to be out there, but the course was empty, so whatya gonna do?).

Last edited by little oz; 04-13-2017 at 12:41 PM.