Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 30 Times in 17 Posts
Default Undertaker vs Pipeline

So I'm in a pickle. Currently I bag both the Discraft Undertaker and the DGA Pipeline, and I need to dump one. I'm having a really hard time choosing. They fly very similarly (hence I need only one of them), they both feel great, and they both have pretty positive reception across the interwebs. Here's my thinking for pros and cons:
Undertaker
Pros - slightly cheaper, easier to find than DGA. I mostly throw Discraft so the Undertaker is a perfect fit.
Cons - sometimes, eeeeevery so often, it turns over too much and the fade isn't strong enough to bring it back

Pipeline
Pros - spread the DGA love! Beautiful disc with sweet flights and a hair more consistent. Not enough to be conclusive, though.
Cons - More expensive than Discraft, and SP plastic is impossible to find. Pro line is beautiful but I think it wears more quickly, adding to the cost dilemma.

So what do you guys think? Have you thrown both? What made you pick one over the other?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 989 Times in 550 Posts

I'd imagine with how well the Pipeline was received, there will be a production run of SP soon.

What weight/plastic are your undertakers in? For me, the Z always has enough fight to come out of a turn or anny...
Old 04-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 32
Niced 146 Times in 105 Posts

I bag the Pipeline and love it. I have only thrown the Undertaker that one of my playing partners throws. Both are good but in my limited experience, I would take the Pipeline. It throws great, feels great, and is consistent.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 51
Niced 282 Times in 177 Posts

Thrown both. Currently FR Z Undys are my go to fairway. Great feel in the hand (which is probably my top preference for any disc, nextto flight). I like these FRs cuz they have a flatter top. The big zs and ledgy glow have some dome I don't like all too much. Didn't like how the pipeline felt in the hand and didn't agree with the flight numbers (was more FD than TB). I'm sure an SP pipeline would have a flight like they should. Either way, to each their own!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:20 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,146 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraney43 View Post
So what do you guys think? Have you thrown both? What made you pick one over the other?
I've thrown neither (but would like to try a Pipeline one day). But in reading your post, it is apparent to me that you really like the Pipeline, so I'd say go with your heart and bag it.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 68
Niced 245 Times in 140 Posts

All the pipelines i have thrown are flippy. They also only come in 1 plastic. They have more glide than an undertaker but turn more.
The "steady" has been out over a year and still only base plastic stock available. So idk how long it will take for the pipelines to have multiple plastic options.

Undertakers come in 5+ plastics and are more overstable and straighter in my experience.

Decision is easy, undertaker. Until dga makes SP plastic and base plastic versions readily available im not gonna even look at a pipeline anymore.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:16 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 30 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
All the pipelines i have thrown are flippy. They also only come in 1 plastic. They have more glide than an undertaker but turn more.
The "steady" has been out over a year and still only base plastic stock available. So idk how long it will take for the pipelines to have multiple plastic options.

Undertakers come in 5+ plastics and are more overstable and straighter in my experience.

Decision is easy, undertaker. Until dga makes SP plastic and base plastic versions readily available im not gonna even look at a pipeline anymore.
Yeah that's the frustration with DGA, they're almost more an accessory than a staple just based on how they run production. I do like the Undertaker, maybe I would find slightly more OS flights in first runs
Old 04-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 51
Niced 282 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraney43 View Post
Yeah that's the frustration with DGA, they're almost more an accessory than a staple just based on how they run production. I do like the Undertaker, maybe I would find slightly more OS flights in first runs
The ledgestone glows have good OS flight. I find it comparable to the FRs I've thrown, only difference was dome. I'm sure you can run a solid fairway gamut of Undys with ledgy glow/FR-Z/Big Z/X. It just comes down to your preference! GL!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 574 Times in 422 Posts

I'd really like to see the Pipeline in the most premium plastics, I tried the disc out in Proline and its really nice, but didn't like the idea of it getting "too flippy"

Last edited by ThomasOrion; 04-25-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 24
Niced 25 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I'd really like to see the Pipeline in the most premium plastics, I tried the disc out in Proline and its really nice, but didn't like the idea of it getting "too flippy"
DGA's Proline is premium plastic. It is comparable to Star, ESP, Tournament, Fuzion etc..

Don't get it confused with Innova's Pro plastic. They are not the same.

Niced: (1)