Old 10-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 17 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBokor View Post
Wedge isn't a real putter, more like a hybrid.

Fun is all that matters, whether you're 10 or 100.

Kids like visuals. DX Birdie has a great stamp in any color. My pink Colt stamp is popular with kids also.
This! My nephew is 10 and picked his discs by the stamp. He picked a DX dart and a big z buzzz and he throws ~100 on avg maybe 120 on his best throws so fairly equivalent to your son.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by hendryxdisc; 10-09-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Had a chance to play about 15 holes today (his 2nd round ever) with him and he made his first ever, legitimate, par!!!

About a 110' Sidewinder between the trees on a shortcut to the hole. Another Sidewinder that went about 75' through the trees, again! Aviar P&A about 45' to about 12' from the hole!! Made the 12' putt for par with the Aviar P&A!!! His shortcut, whether planned or not, took about 85' or so off the hole

TripleB

Niced: (2)
Old 10-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

I grabbed my 8 year old daughter a lightweight skeeter. She loves it! I think the weight is important and something with some turn should go further.
She gets it out to 100’ regularly and has thrown us 120-130 on occasion
Old 10-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Eagle Member

Just wanted to send a quick update about my 10 year old...HE IS IN LOVE WITH THIS SPORT!!! If he were in better shape I think he would ask to go everyday, but since he's not (and tends to be sore the day after we play/throw/practice) he asks to go every other day! My wife and I are so happy he has found a sport that makes him happy and he enjoys doing---after going through basketball, baseball, tennis, and lacrosse - we weren't sure if he would ever find a sport that he enjoyed!!!

btw: he scored his first birdie yesterday!!! He threw, on purpose, a roller on a downhill 170 foot or so hole where the basket is directly (about 8 feet or so) behind a huge tree. Looked like it was going to veer into the woods but came back and hit the tree, bouncing off to the left. Made the 18 foot putt for bird! His comment: "This is the greatest accomplishment of my life!!!"

Again, thanks for all the help and advice!

TripleB

Old 11-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
A driver is not going to do any favors to someone throwing this way. In fact, I would venture to say even a fast midrange is really too much - a Buzzz for example wants to be thrown hard, low and flat.
His two favorite discs have become a 147g D-Line Buzzz and a 173g Classic Blend Deputy. I think the light weight of the Buzzz really allows him to reach back and throw the disc with a good amount of speed.

Are there other Buzzz type shaped discs (he claims he likes the feel of the 'lip' on the Buzzz) that come in light weights...looking for a disc or two to give him for Christmas.

Thank you for any and all help!

TripleB
Old 11-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 513 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
His two favorite discs have become a 147g D-Line Buzzz and a 173g Classic Blend Deputy. I think the light weight of the Buzzz really allows him to reach back and throw the disc with a good amount of speed.

Are there other Buzzz type shaped discs (he claims he likes the feel of the 'lip' on the Buzzz) that come in light weights...looking for a disc or two to give him for Christmas.

TripleB
I bet he would like a pro D Buzzz OS! Not sure how light they come, but similar rim!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,153 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:

TripleB
He might like a Mako3, which would pair with the Buzzz.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
He might like a Mako3, which would pair with the Buzzz.
I just checked and I unfortunately don't see the Mako3 in anything lighter than 167g. I've noticed he likes the lighter discs...157g Stingray, 147g Buzzz, and even a 152 Sidewinder.

I've tried looking for some lighter Mids/Putter. Some in that weight range (on a very quick look): Dart, Wedge, Wolf, Proof, Cobra, Skeeter, Teebird.

TripleB
Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Courses Played: 7
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Look at Lightning discs from gotta go gotta throw. You can get them for $3 and in weights as low as 116g sometimes (usually on their ebay account)

For midranges, Get a few 3 Hookshots / SR71 Blackbirds in different colors, all less than 150g. Get glow plastic if you want durability (no price difference) or the "marble" if you want looks (looks like DD burst plastic) and a few 2 Slices. The 3 hookshot flies like a Buzzz while the 2 slice flies like a Stratus.

Great drivers for low arm speeds are the 3 Flyer/Spitfire and the 2 Flyer/B2 Stealth. Under 150 grams they are excellent. Look for the Prostyle versions if possible. It is to me the best plastic out there. It's very very rubbery, but I have thrown them full force into trees near the tee and they don't get damaged.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,153 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
I just checked and I unfortunately don't see the Mako3 in anything lighter than 167g. I've noticed he likes the lighter discs...157g Stingray, 147g Buzzz, and even a 152 Sidewinder.

I've tried looking for some lighter Mids/Putter. Some in that weight range (on a very quick look): Dart, Wedge, Wolf, Proof, Cobra, Skeeter, Teebird.

TripleB
Cobras don't feel great in the paw, but are good understable discs.

And while trying to find a low weight Mako3, consider one in the 160s; the understability will be offset by the weight to make a good straight-flying disc for your kid. I've seen kids, boys and girls, on the courses I play throw Star Mako3s, and throw them well.