Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Rules Questions & Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 271 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopera View Post
So how *should* this have been played?

I would hazard to guess from my reading that Ricky should have incurred a one throw penalty for the foot fault, then played from the hazard with no penalty.

That doesn't seem right intuitively, but it's all I can come up with.
Actually, by rule it's the ONE penalty that is most severe. But only ONE.

So either:

a) one-throw penalty for foot fault and throw next from the succeeding lie; - OR-

b) take the one-throw penalty from ending up in the hazard and play from the hazard.

In this case both are exactly the same, so you can calll it either one.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2018, 11:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 212
Niced 271 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimBL View Post
I'm positively surprised that the RC actually realized this potential problem with removing the rethrow from the stance violation. However it does seem like you are "getting away" free with your stance violation or OB/hazard throw. Maybe the reasoning is that since you landed OB/in a hazard, you clearly didn't get an advantage out of you foot fault, but that is also the reasoning most people use for not calling the foot fault in the first place, and really shouldn't bee a deciding factor for if a penalty is applied or not. Also, if you had to rethrow, you still might end up OB/in a hazard on your rethrow, and would deserve to get two penalties
True. But under the Old rule you could also ace it for a "1" if it was your first time.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 286
Niced 196 Times in 83 Posts

For NT's and Majors there should be mandatory players meetings where they cover specific rules. Maybe a new set of 3-4 per event. Nascar does this before the events. Other sports are officiated by career officials. It is insane that so few disc golfers that have made this sport their living refuse to study the rules.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 42
Niced 114 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
It is insane that so few disc golfers that have made this sport their living refuse to study the rules.
Also kinda wonky that even people of average intelligence seem to have a hard time understanding them as well ( me included ) . Do we have to study them and keep up with the yearly changes to understand and is that what we want?

Niced: (1)
Old 05-25-2018, 07:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,600 Times in 1,499 Posts

Yearly changes? This year's new rule book is the first in five years.

Really, it isn't a matter of knowing or studying the rules that is the most bothersome, at least to me. It's the arrogance (for lack of a better word) on the part of a lot of players (not just pros) that they know the rules and can make rulings without ever consulting the rule book to verify themselves.

I'm not talking about whipping out the book on every OB to ensure that the rule is still 1 meter from last in-bounds or that the disc still has to be completely surrounded by OB. I'm talking about the less frequently employed rules that, since you haven't seen it put to use in a while, you double check to be sure you remember it correctly. Or, in the case of the MPO lead card at Masters Cup, a newly changed rule (which to their credit they knew) and how to proceed when it runs into another rule/penalty (which clearly they didn't know). The non-stacking of penalties on the same throw isn't even a new rule. It didn't change with the new book. But they proceeded as if it had, which to me is where they should have stopped and double checked.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 183 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb45696 View Post
Also kinda wonky that even people of average intelligence seem to have a hard time understanding them as well ( me included ) .
Might be a reflection of just how low the bar of "average intelligence" actually is.

Quote:
Do we have to study them and keep up with the yearly changes to understand and is that what we want?
I can't think of an organized sport that I've participated in over the last 50-some years that didn't at least tweak its rules annually, if not introduce wholesale changes. Certainly, intercollegiate as well as major professional sports introduce new rules, interpretations, and points of emphasis every year, and players and coaches in those sports don't seem to have much trouble staying abreast of those changes.

Is it what we want? Given the abysmal knowledge of the rules, even--or especially--at the highest levels of competition, you're darn tootin' that's what we want.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 72 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb45696 View Post
Do we have to study them and keep up with the yearly changes to understand and is that what we want?
Yes and yes.

When you play in a group of 4, you are player 25% of the time and ref 75% of the time. I think it is not asking too much to expect that you actually know the rules.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:12 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 134 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
When you play in a group of 4, you are player 25% of the time and ref 75% of the time.
A great way of stating our responsibilities if we choose to enter a tournament.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,767 Times in 1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
Yes and yes.

When you play in a group of 4, you are player 25% of the time and ref 75% of the time. I think it is not asking too much to expect that you actually know the rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
A great way of stating our responsibilities if we choose to enter a tournament.
Ref 100% of time, self-officiate.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 220
Niced 57 Times in 32 Posts

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I was screaming at my TV when watching this live as it recently came up locally and on my rules exam. I was confident they got it wrong at the time, but I again started to question my own knowledge.