Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: Is the Spin the Comet of putters?
Yes I agree completely! The Spin is that good. 9 20.93%
No nothing is a Comet how dare you even suggest it 17 39.53%
No, but I have another putter that is and it's a ...... 9 20.93%
I haven't thrown it.... but I still have an opinion.. 8 18.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 517 Times in 332 Posts

I have found the Spin to be an amazing putter - but a comet it ain't! In fact, I don't even putt with it, but rather bag it as a concession that I want something floatier and more US than even a worn in Dagger for touchy ups and short woodsy turnovers.

The Spin is unique to me in that it's one of a handful of putters that will turn over reliably when new and in premium plastic. Shaped like a Magic, but flippier than the same in SureGrip.

The Comet to me is another high water mark for premium plastic, which is ironic considering it's such an old school mold, big bead and all. Pick up a domey Z comet in your preferred weight, and you will have the straightest mid out there from A-B in the widest range of power bar none, off the shelf. Put some clean power on it and it will rival the distance of a buzzz or even a truth, but it will do it on a frozen rope. Same disc, next shot, need a floaty anny to the basket around some trees? Put just enough angle and snap on it and it will fade just enough not to cut.

I have less experience with the other DC plastics for comets, but my older (like earlier 2010s older) ESP was a little more squirrely than the Z. The X is a fan favorite, starting out in my experience with similar stability to any of the premium plastic, again a little more squirrely than Z, and beat into slow turning fillet knives. I recently lost a 7/10 X Comet which bummed me out and turned me off of a comet cycle, so I'm trying out some truly flippy mids in its place. Still considering bagging a Z comet next to one for all the reasons above though.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2018, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
So if APX is out of production does that mean the Spin is the front runner by default? Haha

How different is the Spin from the APX?
APX is same as DGA's Reef. And I think you can still get APX in some plastics, at least sporadically.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 735 Times in 514 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I have found the Spin to be an amazing putter - ..... I... bag it as a concession that I want something floatier and more US than even a worn in Dagger for touchy ups and short woodsy turnovers.

The Spin is unique to me in that it's one of a handful of putters that will turn over reliably when new and in premium plastic. Shaped like a Magic, but flippier than the same in SureGrip.

.....Pick up a ..... in your preferred weight, and you will have the straightest ...off the shelf. Put some clean power on it and it ..... it will do it on a frozen rope. Same disc, next shot, need a floaty anny to the basket around some trees? Put just enough angle and snap on it and it will fade just enough not to cut.
Hey you had some extra words in there I cleaned it up for you. Haha I love mine for straight floaty shots too.. 180' Spin on a frozen rope, 240' for Comet
Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 735 Times in 514 Posts

^ at least that's the way I feel about it. Thanks for the Spin love man!

I bag my Spin for soft straight approaches as a backup or tonal putter but that doesn't mean I don't play a round with it. Or one disc rounds.. I enjoy it more than an Envy for one disc rounds I can shape more shots.
3 disc rounds?.. Spin / Tangent / Relay or Envy / Comet / Switch

Hey I looked you can get an APX in jawbreaker plastic all over the place.. And Rattler?...
Old 10-17-2018, 01:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,042 Times in 602 Posts

The Spin is understable whilst the Comet is Stable. The Spin is a good disc but its Apples and Oranges.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 1
Niced 144 Times in 100 Posts

love the spin. putting with electron and use the proton for clean smooth woods shots. can hyzer flip to a not coming back turn over when i want to give it some juice. amazing line possibilities.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 104
Niced 272 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Or one disc rounds.. I enjoy it more than an Envy for one disc rounds I can shape more shots.
You need to try an Ion. It's great for one disc rounds.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
The Spin is understable whilst the Comet is Stable. The Spin is a good disc but its Apples and Oranges.
My heavy Proton Spin is dang close to neutral like a nice X Comet but yeah, anything lighter and they definitely seem more understable than stable. The Spin has a pretty blunt profile too, even for a putter so I imagine that makes it behave naturally more understable too.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,083 Times in 542 Posts

The classic aviar is the putter with the closest flight to a comet.

MVP discs aren't close. Speed and glide are not the same thing

Old 10-18-2018, 09:49 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,280 Times in 864 Posts

Classics are cool Aviars, if I was going back the the Aviar the Classic is what I'd throw. So I get the stable comparison, but the Classics are not as floaty as a Comet. You know...those shots where you watch it land and think "Damn, I wasn't trying to throw it THAT far." I get those shots sometimes with the APX and the Comet. Classic Aviars range pretty much where I throw them and don't have that "mysterious glide the disc shouldn't have" from my experience.

But Classics are stable. If you throw them right, they don't really turn and they don't much fade. Probably if you were locked in with both a Comet and a Classic they would seem like two sides to the same coin. I'm just never that locked in.

Sometimes we argue about silly things. Back in the day there were fewer discs and more absolutes. There are a lot more variables now. I think there are more variations of the Aviar now than there were putters when I started playing. I guess I should be more open-minded.