Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,629 Times in 675 Posts
Default DG Needs More Personality

While I absolutely love the current batch of top FPO and MPO players out there they all seem...a bit stale. Look at their interviews like at that tourney McBeth was in in Florida just a few weeks ago. Yawn. No one wants to say anything out of line. Way too calm and collected.

I think (and I know a lot of you are going to hate me and really disagree with me for saying this) but we need more personality in this sport. When someone sticks a camera in their face they just let it rip and say whatever comes to their mind. Here's a good example of what I am talking about:

John Force has been around for YEARS in the NHRA and is still driving today and you either love him or hate him. But as you can see from that interview he is a character. From what I've seen he's a super nice guy just rather loud with a gigantic personality. Dude makes me laugh and I always think, "Oh crap what's he going to say THIS time" whenever they interview him.

So yeah, we need a Dennis Rodman (minus the psycho) or a Johnny Bench or Tom McEnroe (minus the ridiculous temper) or something like that. PDGA needs to loosen up IMHO a little. Don't believe me? Look what happened when Drew went for a swim at Ledgestone this year. Everyone remembers that - but who won? So some player does something a little unexpected that makes us all laugh and look how we react. It's was kind of a moment all of us could relate to because we've all been there done that. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of room for the Nate Sextons of the world and we need guys like him badly but just once I want to see a top pro who is willing to let loose a little when they are in the spotlight.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 73 Times in 22 Posts

I'm on board. Although I think this has been a problem with sports in general lately. All athlete interviews are just a string of cliches. Part of this is because people would come down hard on athletes that said anything interesting. You can see it on this forum with people criticizing player's social media posts that might have an opinion. I think there are many people that will SAY they want players to say more interesting things, until they say something that offends them or disagrees with them.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthenchant3r View Post
I'm on board. Although I think this has been a problem with sports in general lately. All athlete interviews are just a string of cliches. Part of this is because people would come down hard on athletes that said anything interesting. You can see it on this forum with people criticizing player's social media posts that might have an opinion. I think there are many people that will SAY they want players to say more interesting things, until they say something that offends them or disagrees with them.
You sir, could not be more correct.

A big part of the problem is US.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,319 Times in 1,472 Posts

Disc golfers also have to spend a lot of time with each other, up close and personal. They're not going to want to do anything that results in extremely strained relations. Which may also temper their comments and conduct.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:25 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,553 Times in 707 Posts

The mantra is/should be "Don't bite the hands that feed you."
Old 11-16-2018, 08:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The mantra is/should be "Don't bite the hands that feed you."
Ok so you and Dave immediately think I am talking about being critical and whiney. That's not what I am getting at. You can have a big personality without negativity. That is not biting the hand that feeds you. It's called being yourself.

Just loosen up a little and have more fun. That's all I'm saying.

-Dave
Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 151 Times in 62 Posts

As a JOHN McEnroe fan (), I am 100% behind this in a general way. It's when we get into the specific content of a person's free-associating that we run into trouble.

It's an awfully PC world out there, kids. Especially for athletes, who most folks believe are overpaid to begin with. So often, we tell them to "Shut up and play." There is almost zero benefit to speaking one's mind with any real Truth in it. If one takes issue with a policy, a process, or a person, it's "Quit whining. First-world problem, etc."

In disc golf, it's a little different, but not much. We know these guys aren't overpaid in the way an NFL player is, for instance. Still, to make a living (and even have a little mad money) playing any kind of game, and then to have the unmitigated gall to complain? It just rubs the wrong way.

We're not necessarily talking about complaints here. I understand that. But where else will the personality come through? How do we define the entertainment value of Mouthing Off? Back in the day, McEnroe and Borg had one of the greatest rivalries the world has ever seen. Incredibly, though, the vast majority of it played out on the court. The two men had a lot of respect for one another in the locker room.

I don't pretend to have any final answer on this. I'm simply letting my keyboard be my Mouth today, in an effort to put some personality in the game.

All I think of in this context is Happy Gilmore. And all that that implies.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 151 Times in 62 Posts

(The above was interrupted unexpectedly; I had to quit before I was ready. Anything that smacks of an incomplete thought was abandoned in the name of speed. I beg your forgiveness.)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,319 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Ok so you and Dave immediately think I am talking about being critical and whiney. That's not what I am getting at. You can have a big personality without negativity. That is not biting the hand that feeds you. It's called being yourself.

Just loosen up a little and have more fun. That's all I'm saying.

-Dave
Yes, I meant to go further with my post; that the personal nature of the sport limits what sort of "character" disc golf might use. An upbeat, fun-loving player would fit better.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 220
Niced 163 Times in 88 Posts

Cup of coffee, man...