Old 11-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 44 Posts
Default Newbie question

New to the sport and love it but watching videos of the pros i wonder. If the main reason girls have a problem competing with guys is cause they don't have the distance....could they have a coed competition at a course 250' and under? I mean make it real technical with crazy ob and tree protector nets. Would love to see Paige Pierce cream everyone with her crazy amazing putts.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 PM
Par Member

But also i wonder if big throws are so important to the sport for the viewers that people wouldn't watch it.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 709 Times in 291 Posts

Honestly the real problem for the top ladies (who have good distance) is their lack of consistent putting.

Ricky, Paul, Eagle, and a ton of the other top 25 men all make putts inside of 40' pretty consistently. When they get hot a lot of the men can drain putts inside circle 2 all weekend long.

If the Women start putting up numbers like that the difference in overall throwing distance won't matter too much.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Honestly the real problem for the top ladies (who have good distance) is their lack of consistent putting.

Ricky, Paul, Eagle, and a ton of the other top 25 men all make putts inside of 40' pretty consistently. When they get hot a lot of the men can drain putts inside circle 2 all weekend long.

If the Women start putting up numbers like that the difference in overall throwing distance won't matter too much.
oh ok i was way wrong so it's the power they have helping them putt? cool thanks. would love to see they girls and guys playing each other maybe find some kind of "handicapping" system.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 709 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
oh ok i was way wrong so it's the power they have helping them putt? cool thanks. would love to see they girls and guys playing each other maybe find some kind of "handicapping" system.
I won't speculate why they aren't making the putts. I just notice they aren't as consistent in the same range as the men. Personally I like watching the ladies play as much as the guys. I'm a sucker for any good footage especially if its a close battle and there is drama (competition drama). The ladies field is growing every year and that is really exciting.

Handicap has no place in competitive sports. Divisions are the correct answer.

Having the Open women play against the Open men would be no different than having the Advanced division play against the Open division (men or women actually). Or the juniors play against the Grand Masters.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Agree, it would not matter if it was on a pitch and putt course, I don't see FPO putting anywhere near the level as MPO. Way more missed gimmies and not nearly as many long makes.

FPO seems to keep improving with more and more players arriving, but it's still possible to win without a FH or without a BH or without big distance or without "good/great" putting. In MPO you basically need all of those skills, or to have an incredible backhand to cover for lack of FH. I just see in FPO, players relying on their strengths and hoping it outshines their weaknesses, and they can still beat the competition that way.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 180
Niced 68 Times in 54 Posts

You can watch Paige Pierce compete against the best in the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EI6BH_jHjQ

Catrina Allen also plays in the 2017 USDGC and comes in the bottom 5 I believe.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 331 Times in 158 Posts

It's not just one thing that makes the difference. The FPO players don't throw as far, don't throw as accurately, don't putt as well, don't scramble as well, don't play as aggressively. They miss too many 20' putts and don't make enough 45' putts. You can hold a tournament on a course that tops out at 250' and the MPO field would still smoke the FPO field. The top rated women in the world are rated 960-970 and play like 960-970 rated golfers.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,785 Times in 1,714 Posts

PP lacks both distance and putting skills compared to the top MPO. She can compete with most local pros though.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 331 Times in 158 Posts

https://udisclive.com/players?d=FPO&...stats&s=season

Putting:
C2:
Paige Pierce is by far the best FPO C2 putter at 20%. That would come in 57th in MPO. Second best is 14% which would come in 77th in MPO. Combine that with the C2-in-regulation stats. Pierce hits C2IR 52%. 48 of those 56 MPO players land in C2 more often and make more of those putts.

C1:
Zoe Andyke is pretty great at C1 putts, but the rest of her game is missing. Pierce has an 83% C1 putting percentage. That's 80th in MPO. Combine that with the C1-in-regulation stats and we see that Pierce lands in C1 less often and then makes fewer of those putts.

Accuracy:
Fairway Hits:
Pierce is 1st in FPO at 64%. That would come in 63rd in MPO.

Distance/Accuracy:
C2-in-regulation:
Pierce is 52%, which would be 63rd in MPO.

C1-in-regulation:
Pierce is 33%, which would be 52nd in MPO.

In summary, Pierce lands off the fairway too often, but when she lands on the fairway she doesn't land in the circle enough, and when she does land in the circle she doesn't make enough of her putts. Fix all of those issues to the order of 6 strokes per round and you'd get yourself a pretty competitive MPO player. That would require solving 2-3 OB/scrambles, landing in C2 a couple more times, making 1-2 more of those putts, landing in C1a couple more times, and making 2-3 more of those putts.

(Not to mention that those stats are not necessarily on the same courses. Some of those tournaments used shorter tees for FPO on some holes, so the MPO field was landing in the fairway and in the circle more often and from longer tees.)

Niced: (3)