Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, the Beast or the Valkyrie?
Beast is better! 26 32.50%
Valkyrie is the one! 54 67.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 670 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I posted before in the Archangel thread that I was throwing DX Archangels near the lake on my home course, just in case the DG gods demand plastic sacrifice (and they do, all too frequently). Next time I order, I'm going to throw a DX Beast in the cart and see how it does. I have a Star Beast but have never tried aa DX Beast. We'll see what happens...
Archangels are flippy junk. I don't even see how you can throw them accurately. I bet the lake was all too happy to eat all of them up.

Beasts are still a tad flippy, but way more manageable. Usually around water holes I tend to use overstable discs because I want very consistent flights. I don't want something flipping over randomly around water.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Archangels are flippy junk. I don't even see how you can throw them accurately. I bet the lake was all too happy to eat all of them up.

Beasts are still a tad flippy, but way more manageable. Usually around water holes I tend to use overstable discs because I want very consistent flights. I don't want something flipping over randomly around water.
1. The lake is on the left, and I throw RHBH. So if the Archangels flip, they flip away from the lake.

2. I'm sure someone of your armspeed would find Archangels to be flippy. For me, and throwing for accuracy as opposed to raw power, they fly pretty straight to slightly understable. I get them in max weight (175g), too.

3. One big problem with this particular hole and lake is the wind. I once had a disc (a TL) that I was throwing along the other side of the line of cedar trees on the right (that separate this hole from the hole next to it) get picked up by the wind and carried well over 50 ft. left and into the lake. It's also pretty narrow right around where the hole bends around the lake, so an overstable disc runs the risk of skipping left and going into the lake. Every time I watched the pros throwing in the LVC and seeing those hyzers come in, I'd think of how good it was that there was no lake there.

4. So we'll see how a DX Beast does. And yes, I'll practice with it first to see if it's understable enough to throw around that disc-eating lake...
Old 02-27-2019, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
1. The lake is on the left, and I throw RHBH. So if the Archangels flip, they flip away from the lake.

2. I'm sure someone of your armspeed would find Archangels to be flippy. For me, and throwing for accuracy as opposed to raw power, they fly pretty straight to slightly understable. I get them in max weight (175g), too.

3. One big problem with this particular hole and lake is the wind. I once had a disc (a TL) that I was throwing along the other side of the line of cedar trees on the right (that separate this hole from the hole next to it) get picked up by the wind and carried well over 50 ft. left and into the lake. It's also pretty narrow right around where the hole bends around the lake, so an overstable disc runs the risk of skipping left and going into the lake. Every time I watched the pros throwing in the LVC and seeing those hyzers come in, I'd think of how good it was that there was no lake there.

4. So we'll see how a DX Beast does. And yes, I'll practice with it first to see if it's understable enough to throw around that disc-eating lake...
Does anyone ever clean discs out of the lake around there? Seems like you could score a whole bunch of lake discs for cheap off of whomever pulls them out.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:11 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Does anyone ever clean discs out of the lake around there? Seems like you could score a whole bunch of lake discs for cheap off of whomever pulls them out.
Yes, people get in there and pull out discs. I've seen a couple of guys doing that on Mondays after summer weekends where people threw a lot of discs in. They're good about calling if the discs are inked, too. I've had a couple returned to me. I've also been known to go wading in after my disc, as well, if I can see it to get to it.

And of course some of the discs end up in the used bins at the PIAS down the road.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 208 Times in 137 Posts

After reading all this X vs. L debate, I finally understood why Discraft has a disc named the XL -- simply the best of both worlds. :-D

Niced: (3)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
After reading all this X vs. L debate, I finally understood why Discraft has a disc named the XL -- simply the best of both worlds. :-D
I think the XL was around before either the Valk or Beast.

Niced: (3)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 219 Times in 127 Posts

I loved my old Discraft XL. But I can't stand the L version Beast. I really want to get my hands on an X version just to see why everyone thinks the Beast is so great.

So to be clear, the Champion Beasts being sold today....are they X or L? I think I'll have to buy this in person, so are there any other things to look for physically that separates these two molds? I believe I know what I'm looking for in the wing, but is there anything else?

Innova really gives me a headache sometimes.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

Did you see this thread? Seems like the Orc is pretty close to Beast-x. There's some nice pictures in there.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...=131681&page=4
Old 02-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 102 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I loved my old Discraft XL. But I can't stand the L version Beast. I really want to get my hands on an X version just to see why everyone thinks the Beast is so great.

So to be clear, the Champion Beasts being sold today....are they X or L? I think I'll have to buy this in person, so are there any other things to look for physically that separates these two molds? I believe I know what I'm looking for in the wing, but is there anything else?

From my experience and research, all Beasts in Champion and GStar sold today are X mold.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post

The Beasts being sold these days seem to be L mold. You can tell by looking at the wing. It looks like a Sidewinder, very flat. As far as I know, the wing is the only thing that differentiates the 2 Beasts.

I fully agree that the Beast L sucks. Its like a clunky speed 10 Sidewinder. The Beast X seemed to be a little sleeker and faster. It did better S curves and had more late fade. It was also less flippy than the Beast L.

If you find a Beast X you'll love it. Champion plastic. They're out there.