Old 01-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 513 Times in 330 Posts
Default Backups

Hey guys.

Like a lot of you I have amassed quite a stack of discs I don't bag. Some are actual legit core backups, some come in and out throughout the season, some are just there because I can't stand getting rid of them. For example, right now I don't throw Innova speed 9, but I can't stand getting rid of a stack of PDs, thundies, and valks because who knows when my fickle sensibilities will push me back into their plasticy arms?

Basically I feel like I have these fat stacks of plastic that aren't doing me any good. How do you guys determine what discs to keep backups/cycles of and what stuff to liquidate?

For example, I now bag a Tremor. I own exactly one Tremor and it's in my bag. I don't throw it that much, and it's very durable plastic. They are not hard to find. If I lost it, I could jump on DGC or the like and have one at my door in under a week.

On the other hand as mentioned above, I'm not going to get rid of all my Innova speed 9 just because I don't bag them right now (thanks Escapes).
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,152 Times in 1,584 Posts

You're doing the right thing. Yes, you might swerve right back into those speed 9 discs. I was not throwing mids at all, only had the Pink Panther as a utility disc. But now I find I'm putting mids back in my bag.

I think the biggest 'regret' I have is buying a lot of one mold while I was using it, then later leaving that mold altogether. There's no real reason for me to have 14 TLs (various plastics), 12 Valkyries, 8 Roc3s, etc., but alas, I do. I can still take them out to the range to practice form, and I do, so they're not entirely wasted. But if I had a do-over, I wouldn't buy nearly so many.

Ergo, I recommend getting ONE backup (unless you have cycling plans), and if you lose the first disc, put the backup in the bag while waiting for the new backup that you order to come in.

Last, I have given away more discs than I have sold. Just paying it forward to new players. But if there's discs you truly don't want, and want some money, there are marketplaces online (including here), and PIAS stores abound...

Niced: (1)
Old 01-25-2019, 01:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 299 Times in 181 Posts

I might have a few of the same discs such as Terns and Destroyers but I don't really consider those as backups to replace the same mold in my bag. In my experience, the one on the shelf generally won't fly the same as one you throw all the time. If I want something to fly similar to one I just lost I go to my practice bag since I know how those are going to behave. A starlite Sidewinder might replace my Escape or a g* Leo3 replace a River. As my form improves the discs I couldn't throw before now fly a lot more predictably.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 580 Times in 426 Posts

Haha, I'm in the exact same boat. I have a ton of discs, I kinda sealed down my core bag and some alternates, then get all the backups to the key discs. But I have probably 40 discs that aren't molds I am currently using, but they were/are GOOD discs that I have used in the past. I do recommend combing through and set aside discs you KNOW you will not use. Then try to sell those. With whats remaining comb through again and you know darn well there are a few more you'll never use. set those aside (again haha)

Then I comb through and decide discs that were good and I liked just don't use now, I keep those in my main storage because you never know, you may revisit them and remember "Oh yeah these ARE great" I did that with the Valkyrie, Thunderbird, Starfire, Pulse. They are older discs and so sometimes you think 'new MUST be better'' then later you go back and realize the old disc was right alllll along. so hang onto those - take em out for field testing next to the other discs in the same category and compare and see what you like, I did this with control drivers recently as I was conflicted where I should be focusing on

finally when combing through the discs that you really don't want to leave you ---- see if its something that would be good for other people to use, ie: friends, family, beginners, and keep those in a separate stash

good luck! discs are addicting especially when you want to try everything like I do, haha.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,076 Times in 538 Posts

I typically only keep the discs I throw the most. Over the years, the comet and predator have been those discs. I kept a good core of those even when they rotated out of my bag for a short time. I'll sell anything that I'm not throwing in most cases. My biggest stacks of backups consist of comets, challengers, predators, and undertakers; the core discs in my bag. I don't have as many z predators simply because they are almost indestructible and I don't throw them so often that they break in quickly.

As for the backups that I do keep, I'm pretty particular about how many I have. I try not to go over 10 of any one disc. That doesn't mean that I won't buy more - I'm always on the lookout for discs that catch my eye - but I'll turn around and sell/trade off similar discs I might not like so much.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

When I started I bought every disc I could try and get my hands on, and if it was pretty...it was mine. Now days I'm more picky with molds and plastic types. I went from "I bet this is the magic disc for me!" to I need to learn my current discs. I have a good variety of putters/mids/fairways/drivers from understable, stable and overstable that I feel I should be able to manipulate them to any shot possibly needed. So for now, I'm happy with what I have and just pick up back ups from time to time. I still buy new releases just for kicks but find it harder and harder to pull a staple out of the bag. I'll always keep stacks of Ringers and Banger GT's, Buzzz's, Avenger SS's, Vultures and Nukes.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:14 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 31 Times in 21 Posts

Understable discs that need to beat in to that "sweet spot" get collected more than OS discs for me. I only have 2 or 3 champ firebirds but probably 8 or 10 valkyries because I feel it's easier to replace an OS champ firebird than a perftectly seasoned domey valkyrie and I want to make sure I have plenty from that same run.

Disc models that I don't throw anymore sit for a while (a year or two) before getting traded in for credit at the local PIAS. Sometimes. Maybe. Ok, I've done it twice.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:37 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 34 Times in 30 Posts

After understanding the game better, I decided to try out various discs to build my long term bag. I started with putters and have been moving up the chain for the last year or two. I don't have any real shops nearby, so I have bought some based on the flight numbers just to get my hands on them, so naturally I have a stack of discs I never throw. When I find something that clicks in the field, I put it in the bag and give it a longer term test. If it makes the "final cut" I buy a couple more to practice with.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

I don't have a good backup strategy. Currently, I have the most backups for my Zone, with at least 4 ready to back up the one in my bag. Unfortunately (or fortunately, really) the Zone is in premium plastic, likely to last forever, and only rarely thrown with potential to be lost. After that, I've got at least one replacement for most of my throwers, which I've brought to tournaments in case of disaster.

In the few cases where I've tried to buy backups for discs, I think it has been misplaced effort. For example, I do have a couple Tsunamis I bought trying to replace an "old mold" Z Predator from 2004-2005. The Tsunamis were/are great, but that OOP disc's throws are now covered by Undertaker, Teebird, and Thunderbird/Vulture.

I think the lesson I've learned is that I shouldn't waste money on "long term" replacements. Getting one extra disc, or one to fill a similar slot, can be very useful just in tournament situations where I won't have time to adjust to a slightly different mold or plastic.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Hey guys.

Like a lot of you I have amassed quite a stack of discs I don't bag. Some are actual legit core backups, some come in and out throughout the season, some are just there because I can't stand getting rid of them. For example, right now I don't throw Innova speed 9, but I can't stand getting rid of a stack of PDs, thundies, and valks because who knows when my fickle sensibilities will push me back into their plasticy arms?

Basically I feel like I have these fat stacks of plastic that aren't doing me any good. How do you guys determine what discs to keep backups/cycles of and what stuff to liquidate?

For example, I now bag a Tremor. I own exactly one Tremor and it's in my bag. I don't throw it that much, and it's very durable plastic. They are not hard to find. If I lost it, I could jump on DGC or the like and have one at my door in under a week.

On the other hand as mentioned above, I'm not going to get rid of all my Innova speed 9 just because I don't bag them right now (thanks Escapes).
I have a backup Stalker not in bag simply due to disc having an ESP XL for other wet conditions in the bag. I have about 6 or so of the Impact not in bag as the Impact is OOP and need backups; Glide would work but it is a Z plastic only and some plastic with grip would be nice for same or almost same diameter rim as Impact. The DX Stingrays I took out odf bag for Shark 3 I keep for beginner players. Only 2 disc last year did I get rid of, my Wizard G9i to a Friend for a longer putting putter as that is what he uses the PWP for and the Z XL I gave to my mom as a backup for the Z XL she has. I have determined that if I am not using a disc, it has no Sentimental value, and it is not worn out to the point others can use them then I get rid of discs. Exception is my Elite X Express as that is an uncomfortable disc mold that no one should have to use.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 01-25-2019 at 08:22 PM.