Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?
Kids, damn kids on my lawn. It never used to be popular and crowded. 27 17.53%
The sun is hotter than it used to be! 17 11.04%
The attitude that Ed's dead long live McBeth.. Don't these kids know where we came from! 0 0%
Trading "hippies" for "hipsters" 14 9.09%
Too many discs! Back in my day it was a putter, mid and driver. 10 6.49%
The reclassification of my current distance driver as a "fairway driver" 4 2.60%
Mowed and manicured courses, back in my day the rough was rough! 3 1.95%
Thumber, tomahawks, OH.. That's not how a disc is supposed to fly dumbass 8 5.19%
Some 14 year old throwing 200' further than me. 52 33.77%
I've got my own complaint.. See below. 19 12.34%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2019, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,319 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
For the lower rated players I agree. But I do not agree a 940+rated player is playing with 850 rated old dudes just because of the social aspect.
Whether or not you agree that that's their motive, doesn't change the fact that it may be.

People play disc golf, and play tournaments, for all sorts of reasons. Myself, I'm not smart enough to look at a person and know his thinking, let alone tell from a printed results sheet.

It seems there a bunch of people playing in divisions where they have no chance of winning, but prefer to play anyway. Apparently, neither glory nor "stuff" is their motivation. I don't see why someone with no challenge to winning, might not feel the same.

Heck, I've seen people play in 1-person divisions, where the TD allowed it. I wouldn't, but if that's their cup of tea, so be it. My best guess is that they're signing up for their correct division, and letting the chips fall where they may.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2019, 02:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 830 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
IMO, this just ends up being the "bagger" discussion. 950 rated players are playing their rating and exactly where they belong in age protected divisions. It is akin to the calling them baggers.....and we all know what bagger really means. YOU BEAT ME AND I AM BITTER.
Perhaps, but my point is to get to 940+ at 40-50+ years of age is not easy, you're putting in the time. It just surprises me to see these dudes not challenging themselves more by playing in adv. I chose to play in intermediate quite often when there was quite a few lower rated dudes in the age protected division. I've talked to alot of them in my neck of the woods, they definitely prefer to play with the older dudes than the younger players, but they also feel there should be a ratings split in the age protected divisions. I thought so too for a while, but now I just think if you're rated that high, go take on similar rated players.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-12-2019, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 830 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
My best guess is that they're signing up for their correct division, and letting the chips fall where they may.
You have to admit though, the age protected divisions are a bit of a box of chocolate. The only divisions where you can have a 50-100 point difference in player ratings and still be in the "correct division".
Old 07-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 214 Times in 103 Posts

There are a bunch of different reason for playing in an age protected divisions verse not.

1. Is it a small C-tier which is half full versus an A-tier
2. Is there that one guy signed up in a division that you don't want on your card?
3. Are you playing for PDGA points and signing up for the largest division.
4. Are the age protected divisions playing different tees than the other groups?
5. Are the age protected divisions playing different course?

Old 07-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 214 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
You have to admit though, the age protected divisions are a bit of a box of chocolate. The only divisions where you can have a 50-100 point difference in player ratings and still be in the "correct division".
Sounds exactly like MA2.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
No doubt. I've played with bigger splits than that, with some sub-800 guys joining in.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Perhaps, but my point is to get to 940+ at 40-50+ years of age is not easy, you're putting in the time. It just surprises me to see these dudes not challenging themselves more by playing in adv. I chose to play in intermediate quite often when there was quite a few lower rated dudes in the age protected division. I've talked to alot of them in my neck of the woods, they definitely prefer to play with the older dudes than the younger players, but they also feel there should be a ratings split in the age protected divisions. I thought so too for a while, but now I just think if you're rated that high, go take on similar rated players.
Or, the lower-rated players can. There are places for them, too, if they can't keep up.....and if they care, which they don't seem to.

For a year or two, the PDGA offered multiple skill levels in the age-protected amateur divisions. (Advanced Masters, Intermediate Masters, or something like that). I don't think there were many takers, and it was a bit silly splitting small divisions into even smaller pieces.

For what it's worth, we don't have the issue around here. The 40+ and 50+ amateur divisions are very competitive, with a good number of people in the 920-950 range. Nobody's cruising to an easy victory. I'm sure that's a regional thing.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 41.4
Courses Played: 258
Niced 71 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
There are a bunch of different reason for playing in an age protected divisions verse not.

1. Is it a small C-tier which is half full versus an A-tier
2. Is there that one guy signed up in a division that you don't want on your card?
3. Are you playing for PDGA points and signing up for the largest division.
4. Are the age protected divisions playing different tees than the other groups?
5. Are the age protected divisions playing different course?
I nearly always play MA50, or MA55 when it's offered (although I think we should get rid of the 5's). I'm rated 877 and my rating has been decreasing the past few years - now the 920-rated 49 and 50-year-olds are doing all of the winning. But I won't play MA3 just to have a chance at winning - I enjoy the social aspect of playing with the guys who are near my age. We have more in common to talk about and I don't have to do as much rules teaching and BS-putting-up-with in MA50 than I do in MA3. We generally don't offer age-protected divisions in our local monthlies, so I get enough experience playing in MA2 or MA3 - not my favorite.

When I was 50 and in the 920-930-ish range I played MP50 a few times, but those guys were too serious. Some of them would get their panties in a bunch if you talked at all. So I can see how a "better" player might play in an MA age-protected division, if they-re looking for a group that's more fun.

Next weekend I'll be in Grand Rapids and playing the River City Open...in MP50. Why? Because I want to be on the same course schedule as my son, who plays MPO AND I want to play with my local friend who is registered with PDGA as a Pro and can't play down in MA50 because his rating is 907 (7 points too high).

Like Dcinmd said, there are lots of reasons.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,633 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Or, the lower-rated players can. There are places for them, too, if they can't keep up.....and if they care, which they don't seem to.

For a year or two, the PDGA offered multiple skill levels in the age-protected amateur divisions. (Advanced Masters, Intermediate Masters, or something like that). I don't think there were many takers, and it was a bit silly splitting small divisions into even smaller pieces.

For what it's worth, we don't have the issue around here. The 40+ and 50+ amateur divisions are very competitive, with a good number of people in the 920-950 range. Nobody's cruising to an easy victory. I'm sure that's a regional thing.
Similar here. It is common to see an eight player MA50 with 6-7 players over 900. Tis a great group of guys that play a majority of area tournaments. The competition is also pretty intense.....like who has the most motrin, who has the nicest, post round lawn chair and who can pick the nicest oak tree to recover under.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,156 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
The competition is also pretty intense.....like who has the most motrin, who has the nicest, post round lawn chair and who can pick the nicest oak tree to recover under.

Had he mastered the art of folding/unfolding it, Randy might've given you a run for nicest lawn chair last Sun.