Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Niced 49 Times in 31 Posts

K3 Berg is already straighter and beat in slowly but still durable. I have a K2 that I use a lot recently, still overstable.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 215 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRReGoN View Post
K3 Berg is already straighter and beat in slowly but still durable. I have a K2 that I use a lot recently, still overstable.
Is the champy premium version of a berg more OS and slower than a rhyno?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 161 Times in 98 Posts

Just going to throw this out there, since I only got it last week and said I'd repost afterwards, I really like the Reptilian Disc Golf Scale--even more so after several of you gave me tips on how you get the cleanest release with it-- Reptilian quotes it as "The Reptilian Disc Golf Scale is our flagship putter mold. An overstable flyer that feels almost identical to a Wizard in the hand. '2015 Disc of the Year - 4th Place, Highest Placing Putter of 2015'"

I've never thrown a wizard, and I've never tried the stego either, but what I like about this disc is how it flies straight for as far as your power chucks it, then it appears to run out of gas, quickly fade and die. Kind of like how lithium ion batteries power things without fading and then they suddenly die as opposed to the drawn out death of a Ni-Cd. It's nice and predictable.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 695 Times in 394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
Is the champy premium version of a berg more OS and slower than a rhyno?
K1 [firm] and K2 [gummy] are weird...both have opaque and translucent versions. There is no "Champ" or "Star" equivalents - they're a blend of both with (you guessed it) the translucent ones feeling more champy than the opaque. Hands down slower. Has this weird "glide" where it does stay in the air for a bit with some power, but it doesn't actually go anywhere. More of stall than glide - cool to watch but it by no means adds distance to a soft throw like a Comet or lidlike disc would do.

HSS absolutely, not sure that it fades harder/farther than a fresh Rhyno would. Very unique mold where it's more +2/2 or or +1/2 or +2/1 somewhere in that range. With my puny internet distance arm (heh) I can full power rip them flat with zero turn, the K3s which start slightly less overstable drift a bit on the same throw with no worry of turning to far over. Honestly it took me a little while to dial in the premiums due to the massive resistance to turning even slighlty.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by GripEnemy; 06-12-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 34 Times in 30 Posts

I use a Luster AviarX3 for my forehand approaches < 225 ft. I play tightly wooded courses and found that the AviarX3 (at least in Luster) was too OS for powering down on a 100ish foot utility forehand shot. It has the lack of glide I want, but it likes to be thrown hard. I got a Champion Rhyno to fill the slower OS putter slot. After 3 rounds it has been great with very little overlap with the AX3. I would also recommend the Slammer which is a similar disc in feel and flight. The Pig could be an option too, but that disc just doesn't feel great in my hand.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 730 Times in 511 Posts

I threw a Berg yesterday, I love the feel of the plastic and the weird half thumbtrack kinda divot... the glow version is insanely bright...
Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 695 Times in 394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
I threw a Berg yesterday, I love the feel of the plastic and the weird half thumbtrack kinda divot... the glow version is insanely bright...
I'll just leave this Glow K1 here for ya...

No that's not a Roll
Old 06-12-2019, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,071 Times in 535 Posts

I've actually been using a SP Breaker a lot for overstable backhand approaches. Zone primarily gets forehand approaches still.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisClydFr0g View Post
I use a Luster AviarX3 for my forehand approaches < 225 ft. I play tightly wooded courses and found that the AviarX3 (at least in Luster) was too OS for powering down on a 100ish foot utility forehand shot. It has the lack of glide I want, but it likes to be thrown hard. I got a Champion Rhyno to fill the slower OS putter slot. After 3 rounds it has been great with very little overlap with the AX3. I would also recommend the Slammer which is a similar disc in feel and flight. The Pig could be an option too, but that disc just doesn't feel great in my hand.
Dang you bag one alongside the other, huh? I found a larger difference in backhand shots between AX3/Rhyno in that the AX3 would dump with fade whereas the Rhyno would dump with less fade. For short FHs, very similar flight, the AX3 just got there a little faster. AX3 does not skip much despite the speed I think thanks to the tall, blunt shape compared to something like a zone.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 193 Times in 124 Posts

My favorite so far was the Glow Berg, OS on touchy BH and straight on 150' FH.
Today I only use the S-P2 since I still try to fit 2 beer (or a sweater) into my tournament bag. Now I grabbed a FR S-P3x, which has not even been mentioned here yet.

Where does it fit in between all these options in HSS and LSS? A faster Berg?
Before I used the Harp, which I find amazing but slightly too fast for my taste.