Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 677 Times in 535 Posts

Ape or XCal would probably be my first 2 choices for long, glidey overstable discs. Those 2 are overstable, but also combine good glide. They aren't useless meathooks.

I'd probably take a Defender if I needed something a hair less stable.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2019, 11:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 580 Times in 426 Posts

PD2, Stiletto (I like this one but its super beefy)
Old 07-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 28 Times in 24 Posts

Prodiscus RESPCTi
Old 07-30-2019, 03:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I really agree with finding out how far OP is throwing FH shots. Some people like Moose legitimately need the most OS discs because they can HAMMER on FH shots farther than most of us have seen in person. For me, I prefer to hyzer flip my FH shots because it feels easier on my body and I mentally know I let the disc glide and I am responsible for hitting the right line and angle rather than forcing or muscling it. I have thrown 400' FH shots with flippier discs than most people think they can hit 325'+ without rolling accidentally, it works when you trust you have a clean release with hyzer. Yes I do throw some beefy discs FH too, but they are absolutely not my choice when throwing 330+.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-30-2019, 07:40 PM

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Fuzion/Lucid Criminal |10|3|1|4|

I personally like the Bio Enforcer for forehands.

Last edited by aarontpx; 07-30-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I really agree with finding out how far OP is throwing FH shots. Some people like Moose legitimately need the most OS discs because they can HAMMER on FH shots farther than most of us have seen in person. For me, I prefer to hyzer flip my FH shots because it feels easier on my body and I mentally know I let the disc glide and I am responsible for hitting the right line and angle rather than forcing or muscling it. I have thrown 400' FH shots with flippier discs than most people think they can hit 325'+ without rolling accidentally, it works when you trust you have a clean release with hyzer. Yes I do throw some beefy discs FH too, but they are absolutely not my choice when throwing 330+.
Agree. Personally I've hit 400' with both Cranks and Katanas, and people tend to be pretty shocked. Nowadays, I don't get that far regularly, but I've become more consistent and still well over 350' on most distance forehands.

The fact that the OP reports little wobble is somewhat reassuring, but you can still be putting "off axis torque" on a throw without wobble. It's just that the axis is the swing plane, not the discs rotational axis. It would be worth seeing some video.

OP may certainly need some OS discs, and even good form can benefit from a certain level of beef... but I've met several people who talk about true overstable and fast drivers being "too flippy" for them, and I can't imagine they have good form.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:17 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 217 Times in 144 Posts

I don’t have a huge FH distance wise (300’ max). But im a big fan of throwing nukes on slight hyzer flip up lines. Then nuke OS’s for reliable flat / flex / low skip releases or headwinds.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:23 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 357 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
I don’t have a huge FH distance wise (300’ max). But im a big fan of throwing nukes on slight hyzer flip up lines. Then nuke OS’s for reliable flat / flex / low skip releases or headwinds.
Man, I have a 300+ forehand and I can’t even close to make a Nuke flip up. The Nuke is my go to, hilariously overstable, rip it on a half-overhand shot and STILL known that it’s gonna fade back right disc. I think a NukeOS would be like the driver version of a stego for me.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:59 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 217 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Man, I have a 300+ forehand and I can’t even close to make a Nuke flip up. The Nuke is my go to, hilariously overstable, rip it on a half-overhand shot and STILL known that it’s gonna fade back right disc. I think a NukeOS would be like the driver version of a stego for me.
I’ve got a real beat in older ESP nuke that is my BH max distance driver. For FHs it can be easy to turn over if I’m not careful. I’m not a finesse FH thrower by any means, so the nuke OS is my “absolutely has to go right” Disc. It results in less distance and glide, but is more reliable.

I have gotten the older ESP nuke out past 300’ a couple times on good rips. But I don’t count it as realistic golf lines.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
I’ve got a real beat in older ESP nuke that is my BH max distance driver. For FHs it can be easy to turn over if I’m not careful. I’m not a finesse FH thrower by any means, so the nuke OS is my “absolutely has to go right” Disc. It results in less distance and glide, but is more reliable.

I have gotten the older ESP nuke out past 300’ a couple times on good rips. But I don’t count it as realistic golf lines.
Yeah, Nukes, like all high speed drivers, have lots of variation. I have an awesome, high PLH but still some dome Z (very clear) that I can rip forehand straight into a crazy headwind and it still refuses to flip. I'd love to see Paul throw it because I'm sure he could backhand that thing 600'... Paul, if you read this, I'd be happy to loan you my disc...