Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts
Default Overstable Driver

Ok, heres the deal. I am looking for a possible replacement for my Lat64 Opto XXX's. I currently keep an Opto XXX in my bag along with a Champ PD for my overstable driver duties. I really like the flight characteristics of my Champ PD, I can get respectable distance from it before it's heavy fade kicks in, and it never turns over. My XXX on the other hand is VERY overstable and am noticing I haven't been throwing it as much lately as I can't seem to get very much distance from it. I really like the disc for overhand shots, but have been throwing it less and less lately and am starting to think it may be too much disc for me. Before the XXX came into my life I threw Z-Predators, which got decent D but the XXX felt much better in hand. I didn't like the rim on the Predator, so I switched to the XXX.

What I am looking for is a disc that is more overstable than my Champ PD, but less than the Opto XXX. I have considered going back to the Predator and just dealing with the rim, but I am looking for other suggestions. This disc will not be used for maximum distance shots, but the XXX just seemed to be a PIG. Maybe a Firebird or Banshee?? Or should I just suck it up and go back to old faithfull....the Z-Pred's?

BTW, my max D is about 350' on command, occasionally can hit 370-385' on a good rip.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I just started throwing a Star teerex that has been sitting in the closet for a while, If you release that wity hyzer, it seems to flip and go straight for a while then fade pretty hard. But I threw it today with a bit of an anhyzer release into 10 mph wind and it went straight as arrow, turned over a bit and faded right in line with the basket. I think its really a good disc for distance drives in the wind. I would either try that or a Firebird, although my teerex replaced the firebird because it is longer and fade harder when I want it to.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Sidenote: Has anyone noticed their Star teerex's having a a somewhat see through dome?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 11
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

11x Firebird
Old 05-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

My xXx is pretty beefy but it's still marginally controllable b/c it's a flat top. You may have the more overstable domier variety of xXx. Banshees might be a little slow for you, 11x FB is probably your best best.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

the teerex and firebird are both very stable discs. There great in a headwind but for day to day play i much prefer the wraith. Its stable enough to be very consistant but has a unique straight flight. On a regular throw it will sit dead straight then slowly fade at the end.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im pretty new but have been playing a lot over the last few weeks so take my advice accordingly.

The banshee has been my favorite headwind disc. If you are looking for something along those lines but longer then check out the innova star starfire. It feels just like the banshee im throwing but goes a little straighter and fades a little less plus goes a little further. I can get my banshee out about 200-250 consistently and threw the starfire today and got it almost 300 feet. Probably more disc than i should be throwing but it sounds like it would work great for you.

I do throw forehand though and it seems plenty stable for me.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts

I don't think the Wraith or Starfire will be what I'm looking for, as both discs seem speed sensitive in the stability department. On good hard rips I can get a light turn outta a Wraith, so I know a Starfire won't fit the bill. I am looking for something more "true" overstable. I appreciate all the suggestions so far from everyone, keep 'em coming.

Right now it's looking like Z-Predator or Firebird. If I decide to go with the Firebird, which plastic should I go for?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Champ will stay the most overstable the longest, just look for Firechickens with a flat top, I believe those are the treasured meathooks.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 70 Times in 46 Posts

We just got in the latest run of XXXs. They have a little dome to them. I have been throwing 175-176 flat topped XXXs and they are total overstable pigs that won't fly over 300' unless I really crank on them. I picked up a new 172 and it has a lot more glide. Yesterday during doubles I threw it on a big hyzer shot that I usually have to throw my XXX near 100% to get there. This new XXX was 40' past the basket on the same line. Its actually in the bag for the exact same thing you are looking for--a bridge between my super piggy XXX and my C-PD.