Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'll add another vote for the Gator. For me, it's kind of like a get out of trouble type disc. I don't use it that much because I can get similar flight characteristics from putting a hyzer on my Buzzz, but there are situations where a hyzer release just wont cut it and you need something that will sail straight and then predictably and absolutely cut left like was getting paid to do it. My understanding is that the Wasp is very similar to a Gator (perhaps a bit longer), the Drone more overstable, and the Zone WAY more so.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Honestly, I don't see much use for them.

In my opinion, overstable putters tend to be much more workable and forgiving for shorter meathook shots, and overstable fairway drivers/distance drivers tend to fight the wind better and work better for me for longer stuff.

Between my Sinus and my Banshees, there really isn't a whole lot of room in my bag for a Drone. Every once in a blue moon I'll wish I had that drone with me, but more often than not it just ends up being dead weight in the bag.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr0140 View Post
By definition maybe but everyone heere always claims innova is so messed up on flight ratings . . . I would say I could throw much slower discs farther than a Whippet x so is it a mid in my book . . . heck yeah. Go throw one before you make statements like this. Innova does need some work on their flight ratings and/pr consitency, but at least I figured it out.
I can throw my Rocs and Cobras a hell of a lot further than my Banshee, but that doesn't make it a mid. It's still a fairway driver, just like that Whippet.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittdallas View Post
This is the exact shot I have seen the most improvement in by using the Demon. In the past, I was trying to put putters or other stable mids on steep hyzers but I found it challenging because it required an absolutely perfect release. I have found the Demon much more forgiving as I can essentially throw it flat compared to the other variables before. Again, I am new and the simpler I can make things, the better it is for me (even if it adds another mold).
If you're having trouble getting a consistent release, you shouldn't be throwing overstable discs to compensate. Your form will suffer and you're only making it harder for yourself in the long run.

Yes, I just posted in this thread three times in a row.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMaC View Post
If you're having trouble getting a consistent release, you shouldn't be throwing overstable discs to compensate. Your form will suffer and you're only making it harder for yourself in the long run.

Yes, I just posted in this thread three times in a row.
This is part of the reason I posted this thread to begin with. I am certainly not the most consistent player, but I can throw some moderately overstable discs with success. I am still going to work on developing these lines with other discs, but simply not using an overstable mid because it can be done another way seems silly to me. With more experience, that view may well change. However, I feel I have a decent theoretical grasp of the various discs types and want to find the balance between effectiveness now AND developing skills for the future.

I was just curious what everyone else did on these shots. It would be nice someday to be able to nail the shot with a putter, mid, or driver.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Someone already said it but it comes down to skip or no skip in most cases. Plus they can carve crazy lines through trees. I can't count how many people have went to the shop and bought a Zone after seeing some of my crazy up shots with it both BH and FH.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I carry both a demon and drone. I use both multiple times during a round, sometimes to get out of trouble, sometimes off the tee into the wind.

I carry both because into a really stiff wind or if I just muscle the heck out of it, I have turned the drone over. I've never, regardless of how hard I've tried, turned over the demon.

I find its much more difficult to power down my overstable drivers, but maybe its just because I have no game...
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 35
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

I see the point of a disc of this type, and I like the Demon the best out of them...but I rarely carry one.

\/\/
Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 15
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I only carry rocs for mids and i use a vp or a firebird or even an XXX depends on the shot that i need. Thrown softly the firebird or XXX will take a huge skip...sometime this is also a great way to make an upshot. the putter doesn't have the fade the others do and sometimes in the woods i'm torn between flickn a firebird or a Vp to get around something....this and windy days is why i might add something like a gator but i'm still sure i can over throw most holes with this. maybe a whippet X would be better than a know the flex will come back sooner than later.

whippet is probably going to skip like an XXX anyhow. who knows. just wondering how many molds total do you throw? test? i'm throwing 8 molds and testing the river atm.

hyzer a river!!! jk

Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Z Drones are great. Just wish they were regular production.