Old 01-02-2019, 08:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveHalseth View Post
And that might also be why sidearm throws tend to need more stable discs?
In general there tends to be less spin at a given disc speed for a sidearm than for a backhand. The spin stabilizes the disc, especially during its initial high speed phase of flight. Thus less spin means that a disc is going to turn more at high speed so often players use more overstable discs for forehands. Then again, it's also a little easier to roll over your wrist and throw with a little anhyzer forehand so more overstable discs tend to correct that tendency as well. Players with a very clean forehand release (less OAT) and a lot of hyzer in their forehand release can still get away with understable discs though (see Big Jerm with his mids for example).
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 01-03-2019, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,010 Times in 585 Posts

Quote:
What a great thread!

I'm just missing one bit of information, and that is how much spin will affect the flight path.
In other words if a disc is thrown exactly the same, only thing differs is the amount of spin, how would that affect the flight?

I'm not sure how much you could change the spin of a throw, but if you are dragging the disc by the nose in the throw, you will generate less spin than if you keep the grip on the outside of the disc for as long as possible during the throw, and at the end it will snap out with a lot more spin.

One observation is that wet discs tend to be less stable, and my guess is that that's because you are not able to get that much snap and spin on a wet disc.

How one grips the disc and how hard one comes off line both affects the spin of the disc.
As a general rule, there are exceptions, the faster the disc is spinning, the more stable it flies. Stable, not overstable.
Theoretically, there is some Magnus effect, bit the disc RPM is too low to be much of a factor.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 415 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
What a great thread!

I'm just missing one bit of information, and that is how much spin will affect the flight path.
In other words if a disc is thrown exactly the same, only thing differs is the amount of spin, how would that affect the flight?

I'm not sure how much you could change the spin of a throw, but if you are dragging the disc by the nose in the throw, you will generate less spin than if you keep the grip on the outside of the disc for as long as possible during the throw, and at the end it will snap out with a lot more spin.

One observation is that wet discs tend to be less stable, and my guess is that that's because you are not able to get that much snap and spin on a wet disc.

Clean form is key to being able to throw US discs FH or BH. I used to have a cleaner FH and could FH almost any disc (I once threw a Champ SW FH dead straight over 250', when I expected it to turn over, and went OB as a result), thus throwing FH with US discs is very possible. I've shaped some crazy lines FH with beat Rocs and Comets, but I need to clean up my FH form again, even though I no longer truly need a FB for FH, its still not what it was and isn't how I would like it.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

More spin means more angular momentum. Thus less high speed turn and less high speed fade. Ad Hughes said, forehands tend to have less spin. I think this is due to the different wrist and arm mechanics of fh and bh. I do think forehands tend to fade harder at the end, and spin is probably the main reason. At the beginning of flight, the decreased spin probably contributes to ease of flipping fh throws. BUT I agree with Hughes that it's also way easier to roll wrist and cause OAT, so it's a little tougher to say for the high speed part of flight.