Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Course Maintenance Policy

Hello All,
After a recent land approval meeting with my university for our campus disc golf course, the head honchos above have asked me to write up a policy delineating the maintenance responsibilities our university disc golf club will undertake (e.g. trash pickup, brush clearing, trail maintenance, mulch spreading). This will be signed by the big guys up top (asst. and vice chancellors and myself (president of our club). Has anyone had to do anything like this before? I honestly do not know where to begin in terms of length, format, and scope. If anyone has something like this or knows where i can find an example to work off of, I would greatly appreciate it. Also any input as to how to do this most responsibly would be of great service to our club. This is a policy that our newly established club will be expected to abide by long after I have graduated and moved on, so if this is done wrong or irresponsibly the negative effects are going to be long lasting.
Thank you in advance for you input.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2009, 07:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

you want to be general enough so youre not writing an essay but that you cover all of the points, however briefly, they want you to cover. 1-2 pages would be optimal.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 33.6
Courses Played: 63
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts

This document is called a memorandum of understanding or MOU in park politics lingo.
Cedar Farms Disc Golf Club at Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg MD has (or had) a MOU with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 186
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Is it for a course already in place? Or one that is being proposed?
Are you offering your assistance in getting the course put in, or in maintaining it over its lifetime?

I would be very careful about signing an agreement that puts maintenance in your clubs hands - especially after you're gone.

Offering volunteer labor to help put it in the ground is a good thing, manageable, and can even be shown to counter the bulk of the initial cost of installation. Showing them a timetable and activity list for installation will help them get a grasp on the parts you are willing to do (i.e. things they don't have to pay for). Part of this is also giving them a reality check on the manpower and equipment costs for which they will have to foot the bill. But anytime students are doing physical labor, there should be some sort of agreement where they are signed up, and covered by the school's insurance.

As regards future responsibilities, I would focus on the club acting as liaison to the University. Establish yourself as the POC for organizing activities, (these could be events, classes, clinics, or intramural leagues), and responsible for notifying them about maintenance issues (downed trees, damaged equipment, etc). But avoid offering up maintenance services by future students - frisbee clubs at Colleges, are transient by nature, they don't always have consistent participants willing to do things like course work.
Feel free to contact me if you need more info.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The first phase of the course has been designed and the only thing keeping us from putting baskets in the ground is the absence of this policy. Myself, UNCA's club, WNC DGC, and the university's maintenance staff have all offered help installing and maintaining the course. The policy though, will include the responsibilities UNCA's disc golf club will undertake in order to achieve a well maintained disc golf course, for now and in the future.

The reason our administration wants this policy in place is because they are very aware of the transient nature of and the continuity issues involving campus clubs. They feel this policy will help prevent that somewhat.

I feel there is a fine line I need to walk in order to make sure this is done responsibly...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 PM

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 45
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there another course or club in the area that you could partner with? If so, maybe they would be willing to step up and help out with a more permanent arangement.

Depending on how "on board" the school is with disc golf, maybe you could explain your concerns about you not being around forever, and see if they are willing to accept the fact that there might not be somebody to take your place. I would also lean towards the side that as fast as golf is growing, there probably will be another like you.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 33.6
Courses Played: 63
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts

Came across this MOU while surfing the web this morning
http://clerk.ci.homer.ak.us/resolutions/jackgistmou.pdf
Adobe Acrobat required