Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unhappy Huge Overlap Problems

Hey everyone,

I know that plenty of people post these "help me I'm new" threads up, and was hesitant to post my personal dilemma. BUT I know that I love helping other people figure out their problems, especially when it deals with disc golf, because it ends up helping me understand things better myself. Also, talking out problems seems to be an effective way to find your own solution. So here it goes:

I have only started really putting a lot of energy into disc golf as of the past month or so. I've seen myself go from throwing a single, 149 Gummy Leopard Champ to having 4 drivers, 2 fairways, 2 mid ranges, and a putter. Yet, I'm finding myself with some huge overlap. Here are my discs, and I'll explain the scenario I find myself in:

168 Pro Wraith
175 Pro Line Monster
170 Pro Starfire (SL?)
172 worn DX Valkyrie
166 Champ Sidewinder
149 Champ Leopard
178 worn DX Viper
174 DX Stingray
177 DX Roc
??? Pro D Banger GT

What I've found out is that the Wraith used to be hugely overstable for me- but after a month or so, I'm able to turn it over with a fair amount of ease. This being said, my beat up SL and Valkyrie are becoming almost out of control understable. Which has put me in a position where all four of my drivers have become fairly understable as I've developed better form/power.

So, that said: If I you were to only add TWO discs max to this, what would you think needs added? You can feel free to tell me what needs to go as well. But only two can be added at this point. That's the challenge. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe a Monarch could be for you, In a pretty heavy weight, nice glide, buts its still overstable, esp in champ. I have to suggest Teebirds as well, because I am an addict. A Viking will be a straighter disc than that beat up Valk. You seem to be set for mids with a 'Ray and a Roc. If the banger works stay with it.
But IMHO I'd say swap a Monarch for the Starfire/Valk.
Keep it simple, banger, roc, 'ray, viper OR sidewinder, and maybe two other drivers. learn a few molds without having too many and the shot selection is easier.
Just my two cents
Old 05-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Depending on how you throw most of your shots (FH or BH) I would agree with sumner420 about the Teebird. I am a big fan of its consistency (FH), I also appreciate the fact that I can tell if I put too much torque on it, it keeps me honest. As for a very straight BH disc I would suggest the Discraft XL.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 5
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

a bag is only not working if one or two things are happening. firstly if you find that you don't have a disc to cover a specific type of shot. secondly if you find that many of your discs are used for the same type of shot and you find yourself trying to decide which disc to throw.

your leopard, sidewinder, and valkyrie all have similar flight patterns. just varying degrees of turn/fade. i think you could narrow those down some if you wanted. but if you find use of each disc still then keep them all.

what would i add? it seems like most of your drivers come from the right side of the innova chart. my suggestion would be to try out an Xcalibur. if you want to try a disc that may fly for you like your wraith did before, you could try a destroyer.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would go with a Destroyer, and either a Teebird or TL
Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for your input, everyone. The shot I was finding out of my range was something stable/overstable- that monster/viper are more for insane headwinds, but a teebird, destroyer, and firebird are what I'm looking at now. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,252 Times in 854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craton View Post
168 Pro Wraith
175 Pro Line Monster
170 Pro Starfire (SL?)
172 worn DX Valkyrie
166 Champ Sidewinder
149 Champ Leopard
178 worn DX Viper
174 DX Stingray
177 DX Roc
??? Pro D Banger GT
The biggest hole is the stable fairway driver the TeeBird will cover. There is a lot of shots to cover in-between a Viper and a Leopard.

A Firebird and a Monster will overlap quite a bit. Unless you really need a disc in-between a Viper and a Monster, the Firebird won't add a lot to your bag.

The Sidewinder/SL/Valk will also overlap a lot. I really can't see throwing more than one of these. The Wraith should still be useful, as you should be able to put some hyzer on it and get some good distance with it.

If you need something similar to a Wraith that you can't flip, the Destroyer, TeeRex or XCal might work, depending on you. It's hard to say.

I'd say try the Teebird, then either a Destroyer, TeeRex or XCal.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 136
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you liked the wraith before it started flipping, the Destroyer will probably be good for you. I was in the same situation and now carry 2 destroyers and 2 wraiths.

I also carry 1 FL in the bag because it's great for headwind and I'll sometimes forearm it when I need a really sharp right turn.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 59
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Teebird!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 105
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
The biggest hole is the stable fairway driver the TeeBird will cover. There is a lot of shots to cover in-between a Viper and a Leopard.

A Firebird and a Monster will overlap quite a bit. Unless you really need a disc in-between a Viper and a Monster, the Firebird won't add a lot to your bag.

The Sidewinder/SL/Valk will also overlap a lot. I really can't see throwing more than one of these. The Wraith should still be useful, as you should be able to put some hyzer on it and get some good distance with it.

If you need something similar to a Wraith that you can't flip, the Destroyer, TeeRex or XCal might work, depending on you. It's hard to say.

I'd say try the Teebird, then either a Destroyer, TeeRex or XCal.
Just do this