Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default The Fritz Park Movement

I'm creating this thread because the people of Irving, Tx. are tired of being ignored by the city. In Fritz park I have met people from all over America that love the course, but wish it had at least one modernizing improvement(i.e.: new baskets, larger tee pads, signs, ect.) Most notably, the lack of a back 9. By my understanding, the "Oldshcools"(park veterans), have been trying for over a decade to try and have the park converted to 18, or at least to have new baskets put in, but their attempts have been met with silence. The city of Irving, has in the last year sent 100's of millions of taxpayer dollars on improvements on parts of the city that have been improved multiple times, yearly.... honestly it's frustrating when the people of the city ask for a,at lowest, $3000 dollar upgrade of a park, that many people enjoy everyday. So if you have any input on possible improvements, complaints, recommendations, for or about Fritz park, please post.

***DISCLAIMER***
I AM NOT saying anything bad about Fritz, I love this park, i loved it before i started playing disc golf, it's my home course. I just believe it's not getting the respect it deserves. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've played Fritz several times. Nice pecan trees. Some look young, like at least something has been done in the park. And the grass was always mowed and the park has been clean every time.

Where would another 9 go, across the creek? I usually see people doing park stuff over there.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

We were trying to get upgraded baskets and a back 9 on Fritz in '84 as well. They didn't even give it a second thought back then. Only reason I know about it was they wanted me to weld in a second set of chains on the baskets. City intervened and any alterations were forbidden unless they did it and they were not interested. I left in '87 and I see it not the same course I left, but still looks good. Hope you do better than we did way back when.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
I've played Fritz several times. Nice pecan trees. Some look young, like at least something has been done in the park. And the grass was always mowed and the park has been clean every time.

Where would another 9 go, across the creek? I usually see people doing park stuff over there.
That's a good question. If you remember the location of the hole 6 pin/ hole 7 tee pad(yes on the other side of the creek) there is ample land, and the city has recently moved out several sub-par living establishments to the right of 2's fairway. About going back across the creek, they have 2 pre-built bridges (not connecting two masses of land) on the property just adjacent to the street on 7.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

All I ask is that you rename the park after me. And put maybe a giant plastic statue of me in the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fritz design 1.jpg (136.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 23 Times in 14 Posts

I grew up in irving and recall going to this park very often for either a stroll through the park or for soccer practice. If you need a signature or another voice, I'd be more than glad to lend a helping hand!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Paulie.... hole 12= super scary, but i like the approach you're taking, you, whether or not you planned it that way or not, better utilizing the already available space is a key point i plan on bringing to the city's attention. thanks for that course plan.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

Basket on 10 is where the #2 basket used to be by the road..that isn't there anymore. Man that place has changed.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:54 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, and unfortunately the"better course" was b4 my time, I do hear it was great. Oh, and the parking lot used to be on mayo st. right?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

No, it was in the park. The road connected through the park. Look at the pic and you can still faintly see where the road was. The parking was about even with the foot bridge as I recall. Hole one started at the foot bridge and headed east along the creek. Two started north of it and ended with a mando dogleg to the right at the road. Three started across the road in the corner on the Mayo side, and went all the way to the other street...where the turnaround is now. That was a great hole. I have a map of it somewhere....I'll post it if I find it. Don't hold your breath though...its been close to 15 years since I saw it last.