Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 404 Times in 158 Posts
Default Nose angle issues in Climo grip vs. power grip

Here's the crux of my problem: When I use the power grip, I don't seem to have any nose-up issues; the discs fly great, in fact. However, I have injured my right middle finger tendon doing this grip for prolonged periods of time, so I try to use the Climo grip as much as possible to prevent the injury from happening again, as this grip does not require much of the middle finger.

But, when I use the Climo grip, I tend to have a lot more nose-up issues.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why that might be?

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Try setting up with the Climo grip, only put the disc between your index and middle finger, putting your index finger on top of the disc with your thumb. Then wrap your index finger around to the bottom of the flight plate, your thumb should slid over into position, and the disc being more in between your first and second knuckle should be a more nose down position in your grip.

*just an idea.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Try setting up with the Climo grip, only put the disc between your index and middle finger, putting your index finger on top of the disc with your thumb. Then wrap your index finger around to the bottom of the flight plate, your thumb should slid over into position, and the disc being more in between your first and second knuckle should be a more nose down position in your grip.

*just an idea.
Thanks for the thoughts, sir. Unfortunately, that's almost exactly what I do for that grip already. I wonder if this could be a hand size issue (mine are small).
Old 03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseymatt View Post
Thanks for the thoughts, sir. Unfortunately, that's almost exactly what I do for that grip already. I wonder if this could be a hand size issue (mine are small).
I'm going through the same sort of slump and I've got giant hands, so I don't think that's it.

I feel like I've gotten better the last few rounds, but after a bit of initial success, I've been sky-hyzering at least half of my drives since I've switched from a four-fingered power to the Climo/fork grip. No injuries or anything, just wanted to try something new and maybe get a little more control.

I think it's just that I need to get the release back down to an automatic thing, and in the meantime, I'm overthinking my throw. It seems like I'm not keeping the disc flat as I'm pulling across my chest, and then by the time I'm releasing, I've made an effort to correct and end up lifting my wrist in the process. Other times, I've stayed flat, but then ended up griplocking far-right. When everything works, I do feel like there's some controlled distance being added to my drives, so I think it's worth sticking through the learning curve.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 35
Niced 170 Times in 64 Posts

Are you thinking that the Climo grip alone is enough to keep the nose down? If so, that may be the problem. Even though that grip is condusive to a more nose down tendency, you still have to make sure that you're shifting your weight forward over your drive, focusing on pivoting on your heel instead of toe, and being aware of any potential OAT that you may be imparting on the disc. Simply changing the grip isn't a magical fix-all, but can be one of the main stepping stones to better form.

Not sure how severe your initial injury is/was, but have you thought about the possibility that you may be favoring to avoid further issues and possibly changing your form because of that?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 475 Times in 201 Posts

When you use the Climo "fork" grip, the angle of the disc in your hand is paramount.
The disc edge should rest between the first and second knuckle and follow the natural crease of the hand to the wrist.
You probably already know that.
The power grip sets up in that position more easily.
Check that when you grip to throw, the meaty part of your thumb is not on top of the disc, but riding the edge of the disc.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truk View Post
I'm going through the same sort of slump and I've got giant hands, so I don't think that's it.

I feel like I've gotten better the last few rounds, but after a bit of initial success, I've been sky-hyzering at least half of my drives since I've switched from a four-fingered power to the Climo/fork grip. No injuries or anything, just wanted to try something new and maybe get a little more control.

I think it's just that I need to get the release back down to an automatic thing, and in the meantime, I'm overthinking my throw. It seems like I'm not keeping the disc flat as I'm pulling across my chest, and then by the time I'm releasing, I've made an effort to correct and end up lifting my wrist in the process. Other times, I've stayed flat, but then ended up griplocking far-right. When everything works, I do feel like there's some controlled distance being added to my drives, so I think it's worth sticking through the learning curve.
I, too, have the occasional sky-hyzer or griplock thing happen when using the Climo grip. I assume it's some small timing issue, but it's odd that it's not apparent when using the power grip.

Oddly, I've almost always used the Climo grip (I've been playing about 9 months), and only recently switched to the power grip. I found that once I figured out how to use the power grip without imparting OAT into it, it virtually solved my nose-up issues on the spot.

In light of that fact and the injury I sustained to my middle finger, I wonder if I just don't have enough grip strength with my index-and-thumb to really get the nose down consistently with the Climo grip. Maybe with the power grip, my middle finger strength compensates for a relative weakness in the index finger grip?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Um... View Post
Are you thinking that the Climo grip alone is enough to keep the nose down? If so, that may be the problem. Even though that grip is condusive to a more nose down tendency, you still have to make sure that you're shifting your weight forward over your drive, focusing on pivoting on your heel instead of toe, and being aware of any potential OAT that you may be imparting on the disc. Simply changing the grip isn't a magical fix-all, but can be one of the main stepping stones to better form.

Not sure how severe your initial injury is/was, but have you thought about the possibility that you may be favoring to avoid further issues and possibly changing your form because of that?
Good thoughts. Is it really proper to pivot on the heel on the follow through? That doesn't seem like a very... athletic position. But that's also not the first I've heard of that. Odd.

I don't think my injury is too bad -- just a repetitive stress injury that happened from playing about 6 rounds in one day. It was right after I switched to the power grip from the Climo grip, so it was probably just a little more than my hand could handle. I'm starting to work it back in on big drives.

I definitely do pretty well with the Climo grip, and it feels really natural to do it, since it's what I've done 95% of the time I've been playing -- I just wish I could get the nose down more consistently with it. It's probably just some small tweak I need to make, since this grip apparently is pretty conducive to nose-down.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
When you use the Climo "fork" grip, the angle of the disc in your hand is paramount.
The disc edge should rest between the first and second knuckle and follow the natural crease of the hand to the wrist.
You probably already know that.
The power grip sets up in that position more easily.
Check that when you grip to throw, the meaty part of your thumb is not on top of the disc, but riding the edge of the disc.
Yep, I've got that down, thankfully. The only difference I can tell between what I'm doing with the two grips is where my middle and ring fingers go. But it really probably has more to do with what my wrist is doing at the point of release, I'm guessing.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Birdie Member

For anyone interested, I found a solution that seems to work. I grip the disc as if I'm going to throw with the power grip, and then transition my fingers to the Climo grip without moving the disc or its position in my hand. The disc comes out nice and nose down. Between that and using some tips from that Feldberg clinic on Disc Golf Monthly, I had maybe my longest drive ever yesterday.