Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 10
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default The Technique Chat Thread

I ran this by Zenbot and he said to give it a shot.

Sometimes I want to ask a question but I don't feel it warrants a whole thread for itself. So, here's a thread where you could ask a question and get some answers, without clogging up the board. You can share what's been working for you lately, and new progress you've made as well.

What do you guys think? If you guys think it's a good idea, maybe we could get it stickied?

To start it off:

What's required in moving from fairway drivers (TL at around 350 ft.) to high speed drivers (Surge at 360 ft.)? Is it nose angle, snap?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundWounds View Post
What's required in moving from fairway drivers (TL at around 350 ft.) to high speed drivers (Surge at 360 ft.)? Is it nose angle, snap?
That is so odd, because I would throw my 175 Wraith in the 330's, but my Teebird at 280-300' max. Now with the champion blizzard plastic, the distance has widened, because I am getting out in the 370's at times now, but still 280-300' on my Teebird.

hmmm
Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,769 Times in 1,710 Posts

Quote:
Depends, likely nose angle, could be snap or grip slip.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 42 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Nose angle was a big one for the me. The wider rims require more nose angle. I use to throw a wraith around 290' and then manage to get my XL out to 310' and I was confused. Because my nose angles were bad the wider rim was causing it to catch more height and die out sooner. Now I can throw a cyclone 320' on a low straight line. Now I just have to learn to throw a little higher.

So nose angle and arm speed.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 192
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 16 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
I'd like to know the same thing. I don't throw anything faster than a River/Teebird. I get them out around 300-350 with 350 being max.

I have 2 champ beasts (new mold) that I rarely throw because I have more control with the Teebird/River and I mostly play par 3 type courses.
The newer Beast I have is basically a meat hook for me (still fresh lots of flashing) the older one I have (given to me by a friend) is probably 7.5-8/10. I've had some pretty decent throws with the both but I don't really see the benefit of high speed driver from it as I typically throw the teebird the same distance give or take 10 feet.

What I want to know is what what would be a good in between disc to try, Valk? I'll take any suggestions. Or should I just not even bother. Is there a real benefit to the high speed stuff?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I throw teebirds in the 300-350 range and I carry a Valk as a distance driver. It doesn't really get me "more" distance than the teebirds, just easier distance because it's slightly understable and I can throw it on distance lines (e.g. Hyzer- flip).
Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also I think this thread is a great idea!

I've always wondered how do you throw higher while maintaining a nose down trajectory? I'm starting to get muh better at keeping the nose down but a lot of my shots look like they'd get more distance if they were up higher.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyzd View Post
Also I think this thread is a great idea!

I've always wondered how do you throw higher while maintaining a nose down trajectory? I'm starting to get muh better at keeping the nose down but a lot of my shots look like they'd get more distance if they were up higher.
More snap/spin on the disc will hold the nose down at higher trajectory. For me it helps to find a high reference point to look at that is in line with the target, i.e. a high branch or telephone pole or something.

Where you the one asking about FH nose down?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah, I throw backhand (mostly).

I hate when the answer to a technique question is "more snap." I'm always hoping for an easy fix :/

Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyzd View Post
Nah, I throw backhand (mostly).

I hate when the answer to a technique question is "more snap." I'm always hoping for an easy fix :/
The easy fix is to get a really light understable slow disc and work on your form with hyzerfliping it. It should take much less effort to get it up to speed and you should be able to put more spin on it as well.