Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,945 Times in 1,671 Posts
Default Wizard's Magic Bag

Hi! I'm a first time, long timer to DGCR. Just wanted to throw the bag out there and get some feedback. Thanks!

Age-22 (almost 23)
RHBH-80%,RHFH-20%
Playing Time-Almost 2 years
Prior Sports-Ultimate, basketball
Goals-More consistency in form, accuracy. Driving putters. Finding a workhorse mid. Add some throwing distance as well.

PPD-300ish, Element-200-240, Wizard-<200

Here we go-

Distance:
PPD (157)(new)-Straight, minimal fade, nice little skip at the end
SPD (169)(new)-This is my overstable PD until it hits the sweet spot
S Apache (159)(seasoned)-older disc, some turn, then it just sits down like a feather on the ground.

Control:
SFD (167)(good)-Little bit of turn, dead nuts straight with some fade at the end. Favorite driver, really trust this thing.
CFD (175)(new)-new addition, basically for when I need more stability then the S Jackal.
HPP Blaze (175)(new)-Overstable control, got it so I wouldn't have to buy a new Viper or Whippet all the time. Love this disc.

Midrange:
S Element (176)(good)-Go-to mid, but not sold yet. Haven't had a good round with it, but I play in the woods so tree hits are more on me and not the disc lol

Putters:
HPP Wizard (172)(good)-got it as a driver, but it doesn't fly as well as the other ones. Stiff which is odd for HPP
SS Wizard (175))(goodish)-approach, stiff and tacky
3xSSS Wizards(175)(newish)-Best putters I have ever used, two are standard black ones and one is a white proto. All are identical flexibility wise.

Welp there it is...do your worst!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 51
Niced 19 Times in 7 Posts

nice bag, similar to mine. Love PD in P and C, FD is great too.
i didnt like my Hpp wiz either, now i use glow. grippy even when wet, id say between S and SS in firmness. if you have a store near you feel it and give it a shot. i think wizards are the driving putter.

had an element for about 3 rounds before i moved it out. sometimes it would really anhy out on me and other times id rip into it and couldnt get a bit of turn. I used to use dx coyotes, comfortable easy to throw, buzzish to some degree, but they dont make dx anymore and the star ones are just not the same. So i recently got a MD2 in P. I will be getting a C line too cuz they kick ass. For me it further range wizard.

Distance is a funny thing. Everybody says it, no one wants to do it, but field throws dramatically increaced my game as a whole. it really helped me see my disc overlaps and form for a weird reason. i chucked 12 putters 3 rounds worth and marked my average, then mids, fd, dd.. by the time i was throwing my 2nd round mids getting into FD i was tired. I started doing a slow walk up x step and all of a sudden 'the hit' really showed up. i didnt need this little jug/run start to get distance. it cleaned up my form and translated into further drives. it took me a full year of playing concentrated serious disc to get into a field and in 4 months add 60-70ft. wish i did it sooner
there is my worst, make the best of it
Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM
* Ace Member *

@JAKE Master
How much of a beating can the glow wizards take? I play a heavy woods course and need something that can take a beating.

I had the same experience in the one round with the element, a couple throws anny'ed then others it was stable as a new DX Roc. I might try a Fiend and see how it goes, a PIAS near here has some, but I was also thinking a Warrior too, since they are a good deal more stable. I love Gateway's baseline plastic and it might beat into a straight mid. Also what is your opinion of the MD1. A Walgreens near here oddly enough has first run SG ones.

The throwing advice is the most helpful I've gotten, thanks. I definitely will start field work but also just walking my x-step. I think sometimes I jog it and get off tempo and my throw suffers for it.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
@JAKE Master
How much of a beating can the glow wizards take? I play a heavy woods course and need something that can take a beating.

The throwing advice is the most helpful I've gotten, thanks. I definitely will start field work but also just walking my x-step. I think sometimes I jog it and get off tempo and my throw suffers for it.
i have some soft that are dented and warped but still fly true. my glow has not hit enough trees yet. what i like is it doesn't seem to chip or splinter so much as compact in itself.

i would get off tempo too, usually i could catch myself and stop/reattempt but other times look out
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Frustrating round today. Windy so the only the SPD and Blaze did any good driving and mid wise. Putting was decent. Still having trouble with a clean backhand release on the wizards.

Also proved the element isn't my go-to workhorse mid. Ill keep it around and beat it in for understable.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

try putting a little hyzer on, and using a firmer rubber, my sss and rff i suck with, its like its whole other disc at times
Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Frustrating round today. Windy so the only the SPD and Blaze did any good driving and mid wise. Putting was decent. Still having trouble with a clean backhand release on the wizards.
That's why I dropped Wizards from my bag - I just could not throw a big bead putter from the tee.

Quote:
Also proved the element isn't my go-to workhorse mid. Ill keep it around and beat it in for understable.
I like the Z Wasp for this role - it's a very consistent disc for me.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Went to the shop to look for either Warrior or Wasp, no baselines of either of those though just one HPP and Ti. I did however buy my first Buzzz ever, a 170-172 Elite X. We'll see how this goes.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE master View Post
try putting a little hyzer on
You sir are a wise man, even my HPP looked good today.

The Elite X 171 Buzzz won my go-to mid spot. Probably will add a Z one 175+ for extra stability.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

^good to hear, that hyzer really clicked for my buddy too. he started dropping alot of shots and even when he missed he was at least hitting the pole or basket low/high where as before he was always right of the basket