Old 09-03-2018, 10:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 447 Times in 201 Posts
Default Teebird FD Leopard3 combo

Anyone carry all 3 of these? I used to bag 2 Teebirds and a Leopard3, then recently tried out the FD so it's a Teebird, FD, Leopard3 combo. But then I missed having a beat Teebird so now it's 2 Teebirds, FD, and Leopard3 (all Champ/C-Line plastic as it seems to work best for me.)

Teebird #1: fresher flight, straight to fade
Teebird #2: straight line, straight finish
FD: has some wiggle, can shape lines, can be basically straight; seems really versatile
Leopard3: flip up straight, turnovers
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2018, 10:43 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 121 Times in 76 Posts

Leo3s kicked FDs out of my bag. More consistebt line shapers or can be used for turnovers. All 3 just seems like a lot of overlap.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-04-2018, 12:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Yeah I think it works if you area really good with your angles and like throwing fairways...Teebird is much firmer HSS than the FD so you can use it for mild hyzers, winds, and tunnels that can't drift right RHBH. FD is just milder and easier to throw neutral-straight or hold basically any line. The FD will come out of a turn more than the Leo though, so the Leo is for turnovers or annies that you just start with a bit of angle rather than over-angle it like you would with a Teebird. I do the same but use a Thundy instead of beefy Teebird. I do think the mild Teebird and FD are the most interchangeable on the course out of that lineup as both can be thrown for any line, even though they have a different HSS firmness out of the hand.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,078 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefKoolaid View Post
All 3 just seems like a lot of overlap.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 96
Niced 40 Times in 32 Posts

I've gone back and forth on the FD and Leo3 a handful of times. They aren't completely interchangeable, but they cover the same slot for me so I don't really want to carry both.

The slower speed but slight added stability of the FD makes it more workable for me and fits my game better. I prefer the S Line because it beats in faster and that's what I'm wanting for that spot.

I'm currently bagging 3 Star Teebirds and 1 S FD.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,777 Times in 1,024 Posts

i would go champ tb star tb and 2 dx tb and have all your fairway lines covered

all three are great molds they just overlap a ton

Old 09-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 26 Times in 22 Posts

Eagle
FD
Leopard

That's been my fairway driver lineup for a while now.
I agree that FD's and Leopards can overlap, I still prefer to bag both.
Leopards fill the understable turnover slot, and I also use them for long approach shots.
A seasoned FD is reliably straight, unlike anything else I've thrown.
The Eagle for the overstable slot.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Yeah I think it works if you area really good with your angles and like throwing fairways...Teebird is much firmer HSS than the FD so you can use it for mild hyzers, winds, and tunnels that can't drift right RHBH. FD is just milder and easier to throw neutral-straight or hold basically any line. The FD will come out of a turn more than the Leo though, so the Leo is for turnovers or annies that you just start with a bit of angle rather than over-angle it like you would with a Teebird. I do the same but use a Thundy instead of beefy Teebird. I do think the mild Teebird and FD are the most interchangeable on the course out of that lineup as both can be thrown for any line, even though they have a different HSS firmness out of the hand.
This has been my experience so far. The FD does overlap with the mild Teebird and the Leo3 but I have found the differences to be useful, especially when there are stance/footing issues. The FD is almost like a backup to the mild Teebird, while coming out of the turn more than the L3 like you said on a turning shot so it is different enough from the L3 that just wants to keep turning, especially when no longer fresh. There are some courses that I play where that shot shape comes in very handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
i would go champ tb star tb and 2 dx tb and have all your fairway lines covered

all three are great molds they just overlap a ton
Yeah that's actually what I carried a couple years ago. The Champ Teebird from then is now my laser straight Teebird, the Star is fairly beat also and is basically a backup, and I still have the beat DX (really beat now, basically a DX Leopard) and the less beat DX. They still come out and play sometimes.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:41 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefKoolaid View Post
Leo3s kicked FDs out of my bag. More consistebt line shapers or can be used for turnovers. All 3 just seems like a lot of overlap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Yeah, agree there is overlap there, but there is also just enough difference to make me try it out. L3 is good for turning and straight shots, but I find it easier and more reliable to throw the FD for straight shots. L3 sometimes drifts, and doesn't come out of the turn as much as the FD. Not really huge differences, but I'm not good enough of a putter to ignore the 10-15' shorter putt that the FD could give me vs. the L3 on that shot shape. You guys find the FD and L3 to be interchangeable?

Old 09-04-2018, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Yeah, agree there is overlap there, but there is also just enough difference to make me try it out. L3 is good for turning and straight shots, but I find it easier and more reliable to throw the FD for straight shots.
There's definitely overlap, but I think what it comes down to is if someone is a Teebird/Leo thrower then there's no need for the FD. But if you find you want to reach for the FD whenever possible, but certain winds or shapes require a Teebird or Leo instead, then it makes sense. Initially I was Teebird first, but over time the FD just showed how forgiving it is at different powers and angles, so now I use it so often.