Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just played the holes that were up, minus 8. I doubt I'll ever play 8- it has so many issues! There is a much more interesting hole there that wouldn't make me want to skip it for fear of losing every disc I throw. 4 is also wrought with trouble- from the blue tees you are throwing DIRECTLY at the walking path and that lane is far too narrow. The rest were fine, although by the time I got to 18 I was so tired it took me 4 throws to make it to the basket. I'm still not a fan of 16, though its better than 17, and 13 needs to stop beneath that large tree halfway up the hill. Everything else looks good, although I still think 3 is going to give people fits.

I really like 5- its a tough but makeable ace run. 6 too. 9 & 10 are also quite nice, and 11 will also be very nice when completed. And man is it close! Nothing like being able to walk to the course. I took some pics today too!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 49.2
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default In The Ground, That Is!

The baskets are not only in, they're all in the ground and pads are being poured, almost as I type. Thanks, Jason, thank you tons, Mike and may the powers that be bless you, Jon Owen!
To address the prior complaints...# 8 does presently have issues that will be eliminated when the city finally gets out there with their bush hog. I do recommend that most players avoid the hole until then. Rhoades and I did play it at several over par on Sunday. We did have to hunt a few times, due to our own errant play, but we lost no discs. I'm pretty sure that that 'more interesting hole there' includes the basic design flaw of crossing through another activity area of the park, i.e., the shelter's lawn. Not as serious a flaw as laying out holes on land that is not part of the park or crossing through ecologically off limits areas...
As for # 4, from the gold pad (not blue) you throw directly BESIDE the paved walkway, much like #'s 3, 4, and 5 at Stokesdale, #'s 5, 15, 17 and 18 at Barber Park, a couple of the holes on the front nine in Statesville, 17 and 18 at Creekside, etc., etc., etc. But #4 does not cross or tee from a walkway like 3 and 8 in Statesville, 3, 4, and 17 at Creekside, 16 at Barber, etc., etc., etc.
16 and 17 are purposely designed as short, all but deuce or die holes because of their tough tightness. But they do not cross a roadway, like 10 and 12 at Crooked Creek, nor do they tee from a traffic island inside a cul de sac loop, like Sanford's Sloan.
And finally; no, #13 does not need to stop anywhere short of where it does and yes, #3 will give players fits. That's the purpose of 900 and 1000 foot long par 5's. Yes, the Springwood Players' Course is a good, long walk. That is why we are beseeching the city SO much for benches. But until their arrival, there are many nice places to sit in the soft grass and shade to take breaks.
We stand behind our design.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Par Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Work is progressing

The bush hog finally showed up to eliminate most of the hole 8 issues. There are some saplings on the left side hillside that need to be clipped, particularly for the benefit of lefties.
Pad pouring will continue today, after missing yesterday due to the rain fake-out. Anyone, especially with any knowledge and/or experience in concrete work is welcomed. If nothing else, you will receive a "I helped build The Springwood Players' Course" tee shirt from SPC Apparel Company.

Last edited by BuzzSharpe; 08-29-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: grammatical typo
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 318
Niced 403 Times in 183 Posts

First, congratulations guys on putting in a new course. It's obviously a tremendously exciting time.

Second, you've got to remember that there are thousands of addicts around this site who get really fired up to hear about a new course, and this thread never mentioned even the region involved. So we're all chomping at the bit too much when the thread keeps popping up, and we can't quickly discern where y'all are talking about.

Third, I'd personally like to encourage everyone to help out with any new course in your area. I really take a little pride in my measly effort to help Adam Jones get Osage Grove launched, and always deferred to his judgement as to timing of announcements.

Finally, the answer is that this is a new course near Burlington, NC, and they have a facebook page. It's not listed here yet, because that's the designer's prerogative. But if you're in the Burlington/ Greensboro area, and want to volunteer, I'm sure they'd always like to hear from you there.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 176
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I wish I could make it out again but I'm working all weekend. I may pop out Saturday afternoon to see what progress has been made since Tuesday and throw some of the holes. Oh and theres been a request to get a tee sponsor sign for Gate City Disc Golf for those who came out and helped put in pads for you guys.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Par Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hey, Drew...appreciate the post...sure would love to have you out there this afternoon, if possible. Not much has progressed since Tuesday, since the weather faked us out on Wednesday and the cement company crapped on us yesterday by not showing up. The best progress has been the temporary installation of a score card box with cards at tee 1. I'll be affixing big capital M's and arrows on the ball field light poles this morning.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Played and reviewed this biatch. Not too shabby, looking forward to seeing how it matures and refines. Might want to start working on an angle for some mulch to place around the tees, the grass will eventually get trod to death by dudes waiting to tee off. I threw a ton of design critique into my review (hate doing hole by hole's, so freaking long) but I will definitely expound upon any of it in here if anyone wishes.

Mandos, OB lines, pars and all that stuff are really going to be treading a fine line of maximizing the playability of this course. I can see it being tweaked and changed quite a bit to find that perfect balance. Please, please, please bush hog all that rough on hole 8, that could be a quirky cool hole.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Par Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Dave! Appreciate the input and insights. Was hoping that it might qualify for at least your average rating. Yeah number 8 is a bear. It was SO grand when I first surveyed and stepped it off. And when the city bush hog finally came, it just didn't do what I had hoped it would. Any chance you might be able to help me get a work party together to return the hillside to what I first saw and intended, thus maybe helping making it the destination course I had thought and still think that it might be?
Buzz
Old 09-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

All the tees are in! I spent a long time helping haul cement in a wheelbarrow to set the third tee today. Thankfully, "Shaggy," and the entity known as "N," whom I don't recall helping at all, came by to make their mark and step and crap all over it. Thanks fellas.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

D- bags. Someone should fine them and do them great harm.