Old 03-04-2021, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,940 Times in 1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
I'm not sure I follow how she's being boosted into an easier 1000 rated by playing FPO, could you expound on that?
She has the potential for more score separation in FPO which results in a higher rated round, where as in MPO this would not be possible. I wouldn't say easier btw, but I might say....quicker.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2021, 11:48 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 32
Courses Played: 712
Niced 2,966 Times in 1,228 Posts

The best scenario to get higher rated rounds for anyone in Paige's rating range, male or female, is playing a long, open course with lots of OB with a pool of propagators whose player ratings average 70-100 points lower AND they don't throw a single penalty stroke. The logic on this is that much lower rated propagators tend to struggle on these layouts due to much shorter throwing distance and getting more penalty strokes relative to what they should get for their rating on a course like this. These extra strokes artificially pad/boost/inflate the SSA so those shooting good, OB clean rounds get "artificially" boosted rounds.

LVC was an ideal scenario to potentially boost her rating IF she stayed OB clean or at least minimized OB strokes which she did in R1 & R3. You can see how FPO R4 ratings dropped when the "ratings boosters" from the bottom half of the FPO field were cut. The ratings were lower for the same score in R2 on the same course. These are currently unofficial ratings. Proper procedure to produce official round ratings for final rounds when the field has been reduced has always been to assign official round ratings based on the higher rating for the same score in an earlier round with a full field OR use the round ratings in the cut field when they happen to be higher for the same score. This is the case for MPO due to higher winds in R4 being enough stronger than during R2 to overcome the ratings lowering effect of eliminating more than half of the MPO field below the cut line.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 03-04-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:13 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 577 Times in 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthenchant3r View Post
So is the problem, as you see it, that there are not enough other players playing those layouts to provide accurate ratings? Potentially creating a "feedback loop?" I could see how the ratings for the women's field could become detached from the overall ratings in this way, if the women have their own layout and basically only the touring women play it. Some evidence we do have is that Paige played in the 2019 USDGC. She was 980 rated and averaged 974 golf, which seems about right. If there is some ratings curve for the women's field I think it would be fairly small, but I can definitely see how a small(er) group of people playing their own layout could potentially warp the ratings.
Yes and yes. And I agree with your points and that the drift isn't quite large (yet). And I believe the same thing is happening in top tier MPO as well.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,696 Times in 852 Posts

I don't think usinag an event like USDGC where the rules are made up and the ratings don't matter is helping anyone's argument

Old 03-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 152
Niced 667 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I don't think usinag an event like USDGC where the rules are made up and the ratings don't matter is helping anyone's argument

Old 03-04-2021, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 9
Niced 1,992 Times in 933 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Beat me to it!!

Niced: (1)
Old 03-04-2021, 05:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 35 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The best scenario to get higher rated rounds for anyone in Paige's rating range, male or female, is playing a long, open course with lots of OB with a pool of propagators whose player ratings average 70-100 points lower AND they don't throw a single penalty stroke....
Some anecdotal evidence to support this. I played the am side of the LVC last year and shot 35 points above my rating. I'm nowhere near as good as Paige, but I definitely didn't feel like I played any more than 10 or maybe 15 points over my rating compared to tournament rounds at 'normal' courses with very little OB. I played really safe, layed up almost every time I had OB I was worried I couldn't clear and putted pretty average for myself (55% C1x and 3% C2) the whole weekend. At 886 rating at the time I threw 11 OB strokes the entire 4 four rounds and played over my rating every single round...including the round we played the Innova course in a downpour for almost half the round and I felt like I shot the worst round of my life. haha.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 237 Times in 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I get frustrated because she might miss a putt or 2 and that's fine... but them sometimes after that happens, then she'll miss like a 10 footer wearing her bag or something.
It should be frowned upon to even have your bag in C1 IMO.