Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Par Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Should I just settle with a destroyer?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice on distance drivers as I'm getting a little frustrated....

I started out with a bunch of different molds (shryke, destroyer, pd, cd2) switched to D2s exclusively, then to trespasses (loved them when brand new, as they got more understable, unfortunately in almost no time at all) I've started to get frustrated with them turning and burning more and more to the point where I've gone through 4 just this year both moonshine and lucid** Take note I play Idlewild or similar courses at least once a week. To the point where I've got so many different molds again to preform everything needed (2 pd2, 2 defender, 2 trespass, 1 sheriff)

Should I just switch to a star destroyer then cycle and cycle and cycle? Or keep the numerous molds and try and find one to fit in?
Throwing on a disc golf line 370-380
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 994 Times in 652 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a Destroyer cycle, or doing that and then supplementing it with a more OS driver.

I essentially do that with Giants. They are my main drivers and then I have a War Horse or two for when there is wind or I really need to make sure the shot comes back.

It’s your game, do what you have to do to get the lines covered. If that means for drivers, fine. If you can do it with one mold, that’s fine too. Just make sure you aren’t compromising either way.

I’ve gone too deep into mold minimalization before and lost a couple strokes doing it.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Lucid-X Trespass is pricey ($20) but is the most stable plastic in the Trespass mold. Most durable, too.

Alternatively, you could do what it seems many Trespass-throwing DD sponsored players end up bagging:
Lucid Enforcer / Bio Enforcer / Lucid Trespass / Bio Trespass

Enforcers feel nearly identical in the hand to Trespasses. They're a natural big brother. Bio Enforcers are a good everyday stability bump up from a Lucid Trespass, and Lucid Enforcers are straight beef for headwinds. If you like your Trespass and want more stability, Enforcer is the answer.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-27-2018, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

I dont throw anuthing that fast but My OLF I have heard described as a baby Destro. I carry 2 Sirius (1 now) and a MOLF but also have a flippy accent in the roadrunner for that category. I guess it would be like a cycle of Destro complimented by a Tern.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,777 Times in 1,024 Posts

they all fly

Niced: (1)
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,155 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice on distance drivers as I'm getting a little frustrated....

I started out with a bunch of different molds (shryke, destroyer, pd, cd2) switched to D2s exclusively, then to trespasses (loved them when brand new, as they got more understable, unfortunately in almost no time at all) I've started to get frustrated with them turning and burning more and more to the point where I've gone through 4 just this year both moonshine and lucid** Take note I play Idlewild or similar courses at least once a week. To the point where I've got so many different molds again to preform everything needed (2 pd2, 2 defender, 2 trespass, 1 sheriff)

Should I just switch to a star destroyer then cycle and cycle and cycle? Or keep the numerous molds and try and find one to fit in?
Throwing on a disc golf line 370-380
Thanks
That's the big problem with Trilogy plastic: durability (a lack of it). If you throw Destroyers well, then use them in your favorite plastics, as Star and Champ will have more durability than Trilogy plastics

Old 12-28-2018, 07:42 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 820 Times in 392 Posts

Some slower discs can probably last a long time, but beating in 4 drivers to significant understability in one season is not all that terrible, in my view. If you are throwing your drivers hard, and the courses you play have features that beat up discs, then the discs are going to get beat up.

I began this season bagging several Star Destroyers, and have swapped out some of them as the season progressed.
One was a meathook, but no longer is. I didn't like what it was becoming; no longer a meathook, but also not a good glidey disc. So, it got swapped out for another meathook Destroyer.
One was my overstable driver, but must now be thrown with hyzer to stay straight. It's role has changed, but stays in the bag.
Another overstable Destroyer was added to the bag, but is now also barely overstable enough. It will need to be replaced soon.
I have gone through 3 lighter weight Star Destroyers that each began at various points this season as perfect neutral drivers for me, but now are used only in situations where I want a very understable driver. I only need to carry one driver of this sort, so I chose one. The others are doing a great job of sitting in a box.

I would say that I have swapped out about 4 drivers this season too, and others have changed roles.

Don't get too attached to any one disc, especially drivers, because they don't last forever. If a driver is lasting a long time, then it is time to stop pampering that thing, and start really using it.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 74
Niced 137 Times in 103 Posts

I would suggest to use what you have and if a disc is consistently not working for your throw, then I would try a new mold or a different version of what you have. If you have those discs already then why not just learn to use them? If your over stable driver breaks in to a point that it flies like the less stable one and you take out the under stable one, then so be it you have a cycle starting. It is better to let the cycle happen. Sometimes though that now under stable disc does not work well for you and you sell it to keep using the original layout.

I choose my discs based on their feel/shape, flight, availability. Many times I will find a disc I like the feel of but I want it less stable so I just break one in to feel better. I have let this cycle happen with my drivers for a few years. That is why I have PD2s and Firebirds that turn in my bag, it just happens.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 74
Niced 137 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
That's the big problem with Trilogy plastic: durability (a lack of it). If you throw Destroyers well, then use them in your favorite plastics, as Star and Champ will have more durability than Trilogy plastics
You cant say a trespass is not durable because of the plastic. It is not an overstable disc like a destroyer. The trespass needs very little wear to become an understable disc because that is what it is supposed to be. It is not supposed to be overstable at all. A destroyer "last longer" because the mold is supposed to be more overstable. It will take longer for the PLH of a destroyer to change enough for it to be flippy the very same as it would for a defender.

Compare companies equally.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 821 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
You cant say a trespass is not durable because of the plastic. It is not an overstable disc like a destroyer. The trespass needs very little wear to become an understable disc because that is what it is supposed to be. It is not supposed to be overstable at all. A destroyer "last longer" because the mold is supposed to be more overstable. It will take longer for the PLH of a destroyer to change enough for it to be flippy the very same as it would for a defender.

Compare companies equally.
This is false. Dynamic, Infinite, and Marshall Street all give this mold the same or even slightly more OS numbers as the Destroyer. Now, did Lat 64 actually accomplish this? Probably not. It's also a fact that just about any DD from the Trilogy companies will season faster than a Destroyer. It is the plastic.