Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Jbultman Jbultman is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 187
Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Should I just settle with a destroyer?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice on distance drivers as I'm getting a little frustrated....

I started out with a bunch of different molds (shryke, destroyer, pd, cd2) switched to D2s exclusively, then to trespasses (loved them when brand new, as they got more understable, unfortunately in almost no time at all) I've started to get frustrated with them turning and burning more and more to the point where I've gone through 4 just this year both moonshine and lucid** Take note I play Idlewild or similar courses at least once a week. To the point where I've got so many different molds again to preform everything needed (2 pd2, 2 defender, 2 trespass, 1 sheriff)

Should I just switch to a star destroyer then cycle and cycle and cycle? Or keep the numerous molds and try and find one to fit in?
Throwing on a disc golf line 370-380
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Moose33 Moose33 is online now
Salient/Yikun Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 5,164
Niced 994 Times in 652 Posts
Default

There is nothing wrong with a Destroyer cycle, or doing that and then supplementing it with a more OS driver.

I essentially do that with Giants. They are my main drivers and then I have a War Horse or two for when there is wind or I really need to make sure the shot comes back.

It’s your game, do what you have to do to get the lines covered. If that means for drivers, fine. If you can do it with one mold, that’s fine too. Just make sure you aren’t compromising either way.

I’ve gone too deep into mold minimalization before and lost a couple strokes doing it.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-27-2018, 10:18 PM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 702
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Lucid-X Trespass is pricey ($20) but is the most stable plastic in the Trespass mold. Most durable, too.

Alternatively, you could do what it seems many Trespass-throwing DD sponsored players end up bagging:
Lucid Enforcer / Bio Enforcer / Lucid Trespass / Bio Trespass

Enforcers feel nearly identical in the hand to Trespasses. They're a natural big brother. Bio Enforcers are a good everyday stability bump up from a Lucid Trespass, and Lucid Enforcers are straight beef for headwinds. If you like your Trespass and want more stability, Enforcer is the answer.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 2,324
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts
Default

I dont throw anuthing that fast but My OLF I have heard described as a baby Destro. I carry 2 Sirius (1 now) and a MOLF but also have a flippy accent in the roadrunner for that category. I guess it would be like a cycle of Destro complimented by a Tern.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-27-2018, 10:47 PM
elmexdela elmexdela is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Courses Played: 194
Posts: 7,847
Niced 1,777 Times in 1,024 Posts
Default

they all fly

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,084
Niced 2,155 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice on distance drivers as I'm getting a little frustrated....

I started out with a bunch of different molds (shryke, destroyer, pd, cd2) switched to D2s exclusively, then to trespasses (loved them when brand new, as they got more understable, unfortunately in almost no time at all) I've started to get frustrated with them turning and burning more and more to the point where I've gone through 4 just this year both moonshine and lucid** Take note I play Idlewild or similar courses at least once a week. To the point where I've got so many different molds again to preform everything needed (2 pd2, 2 defender, 2 trespass, 1 sheriff)

Should I just switch to a star destroyer then cycle and cycle and cycle? Or keep the numerous molds and try and find one to fit in?
Throwing on a disc golf line 370-380
Thanks
That's the big problem with Trilogy plastic: durability (a lack of it). If you throw Destroyers well, then use them in your favorite plastics, as Star and Champ will have more durability than Trilogy plastics

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:42 AM
swhite swhite is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: central Mass
Posts: 943
Niced 820 Times in 392 Posts
Default

Some slower discs can probably last a long time, but beating in 4 drivers to significant understability in one season is not all that terrible, in my view. If you are throwing your drivers hard, and the courses you play have features that beat up discs, then the discs are going to get beat up.

I began this season bagging several Star Destroyers, and have swapped out some of them as the season progressed.
One was a meathook, but no longer is. I didn't like what it was becoming; no longer a meathook, but also not a good glidey disc. So, it got swapped out for another meathook Destroyer.
One was my overstable driver, but must now be thrown with hyzer to stay straight. It's role has changed, but stays in the bag.
Another overstable Destroyer was added to the bag, but is now also barely overstable enough. It will need to be replaced soon.
I have gone through 3 lighter weight Star Destroyers that each began at various points this season as perfect neutral drivers for me, but now are used only in situations where I want a very understable driver. I only need to carry one driver of this sort, so I chose one. The others are doing a great job of sitting in a box.

I would say that I have swapped out about 4 drivers this season too, and others have changed roles.



Don't get too attached to any one disc, especially drivers, because they don't last forever. If a driver is lasting a long time, then it is time to stop pampering that thing, and start really using it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-2018, 09:31 AM
tylerc's Avatar
tylerc tylerc is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nc
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 74
Posts: 1,262
Niced 137 Times in 103 Posts
Default

I would suggest to use what you have and if a disc is consistently not working for your throw, then I would try a new mold or a different version of what you have. If you have those discs already then why not just learn to use them? If your over stable driver breaks in to a point that it flies like the less stable one and you take out the under stable one, then so be it you have a cycle starting. It is better to let the cycle happen. Sometimes though that now under stable disc does not work well for you and you sell it to keep using the original layout.

I choose my discs based on their feel/shape, flight, availability. Many times I will find a disc I like the feel of but I want it less stable so I just break one in to feel better. I have let this cycle happen with my drivers for a few years. That is why I have PD2s and Firebirds that turn in my bag, it just happens.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2018, 09:39 AM
tylerc's Avatar
tylerc tylerc is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nc
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 74
Posts: 1,262
Niced 137 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
That's the big problem with Trilogy plastic: durability (a lack of it). If you throw Destroyers well, then use them in your favorite plastics, as Star and Champ will have more durability than Trilogy plastics
You cant say a trespass is not durable because of the plastic. It is not an overstable disc like a destroyer. The trespass needs very little wear to become an understable disc because that is what it is supposed to be. It is not supposed to be overstable at all. A destroyer "last longer" because the mold is supposed to be more overstable. It will take longer for the PLH of a destroyer to change enough for it to be flippy the very same as it would for a defender.

Compare companies equally.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 12-28-2018, 10:09 AM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,037
Niced 821 Times in 561 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
You cant say a trespass is not durable because of the plastic. It is not an overstable disc like a destroyer. The trespass needs very little wear to become an understable disc because that is what it is supposed to be. It is not supposed to be overstable at all. A destroyer "last longer" because the mold is supposed to be more overstable. It will take longer for the PLH of a destroyer to change enough for it to be flippy the very same as it would for a defender.

Compare companies equally.
This is false. Dynamic, Infinite, and Marshall Street all give this mold the same or even slightly more OS numbers as the Destroyer. Now, did Lat 64 actually accomplish this? Probably not. It's also a fact that just about any DD from the Trilogy companies will season faster than a Destroyer. It is the plastic.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
signed aj destroyer and unsigned 2010 team keen echo star destroyer JamesGC21584 Discs 4 01-28-2013 03:57 AM
Please settle this argument... CWSfan16 General Disc Golf Chat 72 09-07-2012 12:49 PM
Parked: Let's Settle the Debate Once and for All S.Cann General Disc Golf Chat 142 07-04-2011 10:37 PM
Anyone want to swap a 168-170 Star Destroyer for a 175 Destroyer? rhinos00 The Marketplace 6 09-12-2010 10:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.