Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

View Poll Results: Do you prefer live coverage of events OR next-day edited coverage
Live Coverage 20 19.42%
Next-Day Edited Coverage 83 80.58%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Next day - or any day - edited. I can't watch 4 hours of any type of sports, I would rather be out playing, or walking the dog, or anything else. 30 minute condensed version is perfect.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2015, 08:15 AM

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 93
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Voted for edited coverage because I usually lose interest during the live broadcast down time. If we ever get to the whip around level of broadcast quality like ball golf, I would enjoy that more. But honestly, I'd rarely take the time to watch all day.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Gotta say I'm surprised that 3/4 of hard core disc golfers want to watch big tourneys (because those are the only ones we see live) recorded the next day. Don't you want to be in the moment, as it unfolds? I'm the kind of fan that has to know NOW. If the tourney is not live, I'm checking PDGA for scores to find out who's in the lead, or who won as soon as possible.

The only reason to watch edited coverage is to skip through and find the juicy parts. I'd like to eventually see it like every other sport where we have better live feeds, and highlight reels afterwards. We've already started to see that, so who knows what the future holds.
I don't think most people give a rat's patoot who actually wins tournaments...they just want to see top quality discing.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,587 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I don't think most people give a rat's patoot who actually wins tournaments...they just want to see top quality discing.
Pretty much this. This USDGC was the first where I wanted a specific person to win (McBeth for the Grand Slam). Outside of that, just watching good disc golf.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,402 Times in 1,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Hill View Post
Here's an introspective thought.

Live:
IF…watching for RESULTS… or PLAYERS

Recorded
IF…watching the sport… or courses…

It may come down to a why question. Why watching? For the story, for the results, for the people? To be in the know.. Then live is king. I'm interested in this narrative course of events - so I want to see that play out live.
No, wait, maybe I'm watching for the love of the game, the beauty of the game, the flight of the discs. The people throwing are secondary. - so I will watch it delayed but more beautiful.

It would be like me watching golf on tv. I've watched quite a few hours of golf coverage.

But I never watched the people - I was watching the courses!
This is a great point. The only edited videos that I've sought out and watched for my own pleasure have been tournaments played on courses I've played before or that I was planning to play in the near future. To me, it is more interesting to watch recorded rounds if I know the course and can compare/contrast the players on video to what I remember of the course and how I played it.

If I don't know the course and am unlikely to play it anytime soon, the hows and whys of what the players are doing are kinda lost on me. If I don't know the hole, I can't really tell the difference between an average throw and a phenomenal throw. And with the edits, you can often lose perspective as far as where the player is in relation to the tee or the target or the shape of the fairway. At that point, it might as well be someone throwing in a random field in terms of what I get out of the video.

On the other hand, I have watched a lot of edited tournament coverage in the same way I watch live stuff...as background noise while I go about doing other things. There are a lot of days at work in a disc golf pro shop where I set up a queue of videos on Youtube and put them up on the TV through Chromecast and let it run. I look up once in a while, players coming in and out will stop and watch for a bit, and so on. I do the same thing when there's a live event streaming as well, but I tend to pay more attention to those because I am interested in seeing the results. But if I'm not working, I generally am not watching disc golf video at all. Like a lot of other people have said, if I have time, I'd rather be playing than watching.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:50 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,096 Times in 737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
Pretty much this. This USDGC was the first where I wanted a specific person to win (McBeth for the Grand Slam). Outside of that, just watching good disc golf.
not really about "who" but how it all unfolds when it comes to watching events live. Recorded rounds dont give the same feel of being in the moment

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 11-10-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 35
Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

Live also has the advantage (or disadvantage depending on how thick your skin is) of having real-time chat.

It is a very compelling experience to engage in a live event with other people who are watching the exact same thing at the exact same time. Especially when there is a narrative to the round (Paul vs. Rick, Ledgestone's wacky final 9, USDGC weather, etc).
Old 11-10-2015, 09:10 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,096 Times in 737 Posts

Hell the crazy jon drinking games were entertainment enough for some people lol. As bad as his commentary could be it was almost more entertaining compared to hard core analytical commentary. Well we dont realllllly have that i guess lol.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 360
Niced 705 Times in 246 Posts

I work weekends when most of the tournament action is taking place. That makes my decision to prefer the edited versions pretty easy. I'm still hitting the fast forward button a lot.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 97
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default I can wait until later to watch (said nobody ever!)

I always prefer 'live' action. Even if it is sub-par production. The urgency of the event is lost when the round is over! And who can edit videos in one day (who wants to? I don't!)?
I thoroughly enjoy watching play happen now. Not as much tomorrow or the next day!